miller spectrum 375 plasma cutter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > miller spectrum 375 plasma cutter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

miller spectrum 375 plasma cutter

So I stopped by a yard sale today and bought an almost new Miller 375 plasma cutter for $150. Brought it home to play around and have a couple of questions since it came with no manual. 1st at the back where you hook up the compressor it says 80-100 psi max. Do I just regulate my compressor to say 90 and call it good? 2 nd there's an output dial at the front that ranges from 16-27 ( actually below 16 but has the #16-20-24 and 27 printed the rest is just a curve) where do I set that and what's it for? 3rd there's a regulator with a dial on the front, that says pressure 60 psi. Whats that for and where should it be set? I plated with it for a little bit and its definitely faster than a grinder , but the cut prices don't just fall away like they do on TV, I have to wiggle them back and forth to break them free. Any help is appreciated Allen

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum

Unread 09-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Should be an owner's manual available on the Miller site.

The "16-27" is the amperage setting, the higher the number the thicker metal you can cut (up to around 3/8" with this model). As far as your cutting issues, sounds like you don't have the machine set up correctly, and are probably going too fast. One important thing to remember with plasma torches, they do not like moisture in the air....so try and keep your air supply as dry as possible.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
rescueweasel

I have the Miller 375 Extreme and it has been a great tool. Couple of things does your model have the 110 and the 220 plug?

Mine does I think there were some older 375's that only had one or the other.

I set my shop air to 100 psi at the compressor and let the plasma cutter do the rest never had a problem.

Good Cut Quality requires a few things, clean dry air - correct amps for the material being cut, good ground - and correct cut speed and standoff distance.

Make sure your consumables are new to start to eliminate them as a cause of problems, There are nozzles that are set up to be dragged on the material and others that need a standoff distance about 1/8 make sure you are using the correct nozzle for what your doing.

If your doing everything else correctly your most likely cutting too fast. If you cut too fast the torch does not cut through everything and you have some parts that are still connected.

Watch your sparks if you are getting lots of sparks on top you are cutting too fast. it takes a little practice to get the speed right by hand.

Its a great machine and that what a steal of a price
rescueweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes mine has the 120/220 plug and switch, both set for 220. Part of my problem was dragging the tip without a drag shield. Picked one up and some new consumables yesterday. Need to get an air dryer this weekend. I will try it at 100 psi and see how it does. Still not sure about the gauge on the front that says pressure 60psi or how to adjust it ? Any ideas.

Unread 09-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
rescueweasel

It sounds like your 375 is different from mine. I took a picture of the front and back of mine to see if we are on the same page.
image-22853398.jpg

Unread 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mines not the extreme.

Unread 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
rescueweasel

The forum was being an pain and would not allow me to upload the picture from the back.
20130906_141452_resized_1.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The backs are almost identical

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.