Miller bobcat welder idles, but to arc - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Miller bobcat welder idles, but to arc

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

If you don't have the manual like me you can download it and other Miller welding equipment at this link(it is free) just click the link:
Miller - Owners Manuals

Last edited by bryanm; 07-08-2010 at 09:26 PM..
bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #17
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

I downloaded the manual
No weld output no power output ---- Check
Check fuses F1 and F2, and replace if open (see Section 8-4 or 9-6).
Check plug PLG6 connection
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm View Post
The jumper cables or battery supply current to energize the field in the welder if the field is not energized no arc --the small Lincoln (G9) welders work this way I believe the Millers do also. Usually there is a separate wire it hooks to the battery along with the battery cables. I said leave the cables on the get the current to energize the field normally the battery takes care of it most large machines do not require this but the smaller machines do. You can get them to start but if you don't leave the 12 volt current connected you will not be able to weld. Did you check the adjustment switches (the big dials) sometimes they stick and do not make contact this will yield the results you describe.
You can PM me and I will give my cell number maybe talk you through if the resistor does not fix the problem I have one of the machines you are working on at the shop but I never use it.
mccollum.bryan@gmail.com
Now that Bryan mentions this,i do remember a few years ago while i was using my Lincoln Ranger 225 for a power source for my old Lincoln Pro Mig 135 and the battery was dying,i was barely getting any kind of power to the MIG machine,so i shut it off to investigate,when i tried to start it found out the battery had actualy ended it's life cycle and wouldn't hold a charge.
I got a new battery and everything went back to normal...soo...it could be a possibility you're battery is not holding a charge once you jump start it but not getting enough current to energize the field as Ryan mentioned...this makes sence to me since it did happen to mine.

Put a good battery in it and see what happens,hopefully this might be it.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Now that Bryan mentions this,i do remember a few years ago while i was using my Lincoln Ranger 225 for a power source for my old Lincoln Pro Mig 135 and the battery was dying,i was barely getting any kind of power to the MIG machine,so i shut it off to investigate,when i tried to start it found out the battery had actualy ended it's life cycle and wouldn't hold a charge.
I got a new battery and everything went back to normal...soo...it could be a possibility you're battery is not holding a charge once you jump start it but not getting enough current to energize the field as Ryan mentioned...this makes sence to me since it did happen to mine.

Put a good battery in it and see what happens,hopefully this might be it.
Excellent point! The battery is on the older side. After I replace that busted fuse, I'll hook my jeeps battery into it and see what happens (if it picks up a load, I'll replace the actual battery with a correct replacement)

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

g4x4xgeoff
Did you look at post #17

Also check the Course and Process dials the rheostat (potentiometer) if they are not making contact the machine will act the way you are describing. All Miller (Lincoln) welders with analog adjusters are bad about this. Had it happen to the Bobcat at the shop and a couple of the MIG welders took off the cover expecting something was burnt only to find the range adjuster open.

I also left you a link for the manual in post #16 you don't have to download it to view. It has the schematics and you can print only the parts you need.

Bryan McCollum
AWS Welder
AWS Weld Inspector

Last edited by bryanm; 07-09-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

bryanm,

I did, took a screen shot of it, and noted it. I'm going to rip into the welder once I get out of work today. I've also got the manual. I really appreciate you taking the initiative to find the Troubleshoot errors.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #22
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

I will be out of town the next few days till next Friday.
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #23
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yea_mitch View Post
its possible the exciter is cooked or the brushes are arcing out on the genorator
This would be my guess, the exciter.

My Linclon 250 did somthing like your talking about a few weeks ago while Hard facing a bucket. I had a slight spark at low idle but it would not jump up to the higher speed.

I was pushing the machine but nothing has stopped it before and with only 65 hours on the unit I cant explian why. I have another bucket coming up and I'm a tad bit concerned, but hey its only money

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #24
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Something I have seen work on old generators or welders is to do a quick power jump across the power leads ( output connection )with a battery.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #25
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try doing a power jump.

I spent about two hours today going through every wire and fuse, relay, and resistor, and still can't figure the thing out.

Unread 07-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #26
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

Have you checked the course, process, and rheostat (potentiometer)

Jumping the lead terminals is not a good idea with this type machine -- it use to work on some of the Lincoln SA machines
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #27
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bryanm, I have not,

to be honest with you, I wouldn't even know where to begin on how to check one to see if it was working properly.

Unread 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #28
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

There is a spring that actuates a contact bar on both the course and process selectors some times they stick you can run the through all positions sometimes and un-stick them other times you must work the contact from inside the machine --you can check the fine adjustment by disconnecting the wires (remember where they hooked up) and check with an ohm meter to see if they are open they should have continuity on all three terminals One to the others.

with the process and the range selectors it is just like them being set between settings it leads to and open circuit in turn no arc allot of times it is something very simple and it makes you feel stupid when you find it. Been there done that best of luck with the troubleshoot

Last edited by bryanm; 07-10-2010 at 11:15 PM..

Tags
miller bobcat welder , welder repair , welder , no arc , idle , miller welder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.