Miller bobcat welder idles, but to arc - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Miller bobcat welder idles, but to arc

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Miller bobcat welder idles, but to arc

So guys,

I've got a miller bobcat 250 series multiprocess welder. It hasn't been used in a few years, and a couple days ago i started (well jump started) it for the first time. Engine idles, but when a load is applied (arc is attempted to be struck, or a tool is plugged into the generator) nothing happens. I'm clueless.

Anyone have any idea, or someone in the area who would like to take a stab at it?

g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to the Fabrication forum where the pro welders who might be able to help you hang out.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks jerry! I wasn't too sure where to put this, so i figured GD was the safest.
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the covers off and see if any rodents have eatin through the wires or anything,also check and see if a connection somewhere has corroded off

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had the covers removed when i went to restart it for the first time, because i had to replace the fuel filter, and check a few connections for ignition.

I took a look around, traced wires and looked for busted fuses and loose connections but really couldn't find any. I've repaired some electric welders, but this is the first gas powered welder i've owned, and it's, well, frightening. 28horsepower vtwin powering an alternator the size of a tool box and two capacitors the size of masonry bricks.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

does it arc at all? when you attempt to strike an arc, does the machine rev up? does it stall? when you put load on it, the engine should rev up to full throttle, then idle back down a minute or so after you remove load.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unlimited:

It doesn't remove from idle, which is what concerns me. Whenever I attempt to apply a load like striking an arc, or using a power tool/light, I hope for the engine to kick up, but it refuses.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the engine is still coupled to the generator?
did a shaft key get sheared?
98GP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

98GP

I'll take another look this afternoon, if i remember correctly, it appeared that the alternator was turning, which means it should be generating electricity right?

shaft key? im not familiar with this, but again, I'll take a deep look at it this afternoon. It's kind of a pain to have such a great welder with unbelievable power sitting around being useless. It even generates enough to power my house in the event we lose electricity.
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the shaft key is the square/rectangle piece found in the keyway/slot on the output shaft of the gas engine and input shaft of the generator. These shafts may have splines. IDK...just throwing out questions.
98GP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

RIGHT DUH.

I knew it as the "key slot" I dont know why i couldn't put 2 and 2 together. I'll take a definite look at the engine/generator attachment, and see whats up. I'll probably have to jump this sucker again!
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
yea_mitch
2002 TJ Wrangler 

its possible the exciter is cooked or the brushes are arcing out on the genorator
yea_mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

Some of these welders need the battery connected or the jumper cables left on -- they use the 12 battery current to energize the field. Another thing to check are the large multi point switches used to change settings making contact I have had them stick ---- If none of these could be brushes -- have you tried it in high idle -- look over the IC board if it works in High idle

The motor to Alt. attachment is most likely not the problem I also doubt anything is cooked from just sitting.

Last edited by bryanm; 07-07-2010 at 01:34 PM..
bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys,

took a look at the welder today, confirmed that the shaft key is intact, the alternator does crank, and the brushes at the alternators output appear to be in working condition. I did find a small ceramic fuse that was cracked, I'm going to try and replace that tomorrow with a new one. I doubt this was the entire cause, but who knows, maybe its something.

Bryanm, what do you mean by having the jumper cables left on to energize? I've never heard of anytihng like that.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
bryanm
1978 CJ5 

The jumper cables or battery supply current to energize the field in the welder if the field is not energized no arc --the small Lincoln (G9) welders work this way I believe the Millers do also. Usually there is a separate wire it hooks to the battery along with the battery cables. I said leave the cables on the get the current to energize the field normally the battery takes care of it most large machines do not require this but the smaller machines do. You can get them to start but if you don't leave the 12 volt current connected you will not be able to weld. Did you check the adjustment switches (the big dials) sometimes they stick and do not make contact this will yield the results you describe.
You can PM me and I will give my cell number maybe talk you through if the resistor does not fix the problem I have one of the machines you are working on at the shop but I never use it.
mccollum.bryan@gmail.com

Last edited by bryanm; 07-08-2010 at 09:14 PM..
bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
miller bobcat welder , welder repair , welder , no arc , idle , miller welder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.