Miller 211 Wiring Help (Any Electricians) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Miller 211 Wiring Help (Any Electricians)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Reply
Unread 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
JOExFROMxNY
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
As long as one wire has green insulation.
There are a few areas that don't allow non metallic sheathed cable (aka nm or romex) as a residential wiring method I suggest you follow local codes. This is one of the reasons I don't often give advice.
yeah, that is usually the case where the unions contribute big to the politicians. The code in some places is no romex, no pvc pipe allowed. all so most owners will call a tradesman because it is too hard for him to deal with cutting BX cables, and sweating copper pipes.

http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen...9052891-1.html

NYC electrical code prohibits the use of romex in any building. The only approved wiring method is MC, BX or conduit. NM or NMC cable is against electrical code.

JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
red rubi
So long pal!
 
red rubi's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesooota
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOExFROMxNY View Post
yeah, that is usually the case where the unions contribute big to the politicians. The code in some places is no romex, no pvc pipe allowed. all so most owners will call a tradesman because it is too hard for him to deal with cutting BX cables, and sweating copper pipes.

N.Y. gets tough on PVC pipe. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

NYC electrical code prohibits the use of romex in any building. The only approved wiring method is MC, BX or conduit. NM or NMC cable is against electrical code.
Thank you Mr. Know-it-all

Your exceptions must not include all the many codes that are written by Square D, Rome, Carlon, GE, Siemens, Leviton etc. that are there only to promote their exclusive products i.e. "smurf tube", AFCI's, T.R. receptacles etc. AFCI's nearly eliminated all of Square D's competition, in fact some of the AFCI codes were adopted years before Square D even had their product to the market. Whoops!

How about unless you have something Germane to the topic of this thread, I invite you to bring up your social and political opinions in PRC where they belong. Or maybe you could just go climb back under your toadstool....
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
JOExFROMxNY
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
Thank you Mr. Know-it-all

Your exceptions must not include all the many codes that are written by Square D, Rome, Carlon, GE, Siemens, Leviton etc. that are there only to promote their exclusive products i.e. "smurf tube", AFCI's, T.R. receptacles etc. AFCI's nearly eliminated all of Square D's competition, in fact some of the AFCI codes were adopted years before Square D even had their product to the market. Whoops!

How about unless you have something Germane to the topic of this thread, I invite you to bring up your social and political opinions in PRC where they belong. Or maybe you could just go climb back under your toadstool....
I don't see what "social and political opinions" you are referring to. I didn't make any political statements in this post. If you mean my mention of unions, you clearly have never seen any of my other posts in PRC. I am a life-long union member, and usually one of a very few JF members who are 1,000% for unions. You will see how i get bashed standing up for unions over corporate greed, and ignorant hillbilly state anti-union mentalities.

see:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/...7/#post9092213

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/...2/#post8938677


I believe my post was germane to the topic, as it directly addressed the statement by you: "There are a few areas that don't allow non metallic sheathed cable (aka nm or romex) as a residential wiring method". I mentioned how NYC restricts it use (i think since the last decade, finally allowed its use in up to a three story residential building, no commercial). Most other parts of New York State don't locally further restrict NM wire beyond the NEC. You were not originally stating whether or not the NEC is influenced by corporations, i believe you were referring to how localities put further restrictions on the work. i only pointed out how NYC is one of those localities.
Although you quoted my post, I don't see how your reply relates at all to anything that i wrote in mine.
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
red rubi
So long pal!
 
red rubi's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesooota
Posts: 579
Joe, I must have either misread your post or misunderstood your point..
I don't go into PRC because there's plenty of drama around without me trying to find more.

My point is that there are many reasons for the way codes are enforced, some environmental, some political one example: Historical sites and areas. True the local AHJ could prefer one method over another for any reason. It's also true that Building Codes for the last 10- 15 years have been driven by patents. Example: Tamper Resistant Recpts. Good idea? Sure. Safer? Maybe. Are they a listed product, therefore acceptable for installation by the NEC? Obviously. Will the average consumer install a product costing 2-300% more voluntarily? Not with out a code mandate.

Bottom line, follow your local ordinances. Building to code is the minimum. You never want to be the one left holding the liability should any tragedy strike.
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #20
JOExFROMxNY
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
Joe, I must have either misread your post or misunderstood your point..
I don't go into PRC because there's plenty of drama around without me trying to find more.

My point is that there are many reasons for the way codes are enforced, some environmental, some political one example: Historical sites and areas. True the local AHJ could prefer one method over another for any reason. It's also true that Building Codes for the last 10- 15 years have been driven by patents. Example: Tamper Resistant Recpts. Good idea? Sure. Safer? Maybe. Are they a listed product, therefore acceptable for installation by the NEC? Obviously. Will the average consumer install a product costing 2-300% more voluntarily? Not with out a code mandate.

Bottom line, follow your local ordinances. Building to code is the minimum. You never want to be the one left holding the liability should any tragedy strike.


Yes no doubt. I just reread those posts i made earlier this year, i don't remember what got me so heated back then. Oh well, back to jeep stuff.

What was the topic again, oh yeah, wiring for the MM211. When i put in a receptacle in my driveway for my MM211 welder i wanted 220v & 110v available, so i ran 12/3 with ground about 30 feet to the panel box. Then out through the brick wall to an outdoors box. I used the red and black and ground for the 220v receptacle, and the black and white and ground for the 110v receptacle. Then i ordered up 50 feet of flexible 12 AWG cord for an extension cord. I put an NEMA 6-50R recept. on one end and a L6-20P plug on the other. I am probably violating pages of codes and safety rules, but it gets the job done out in the driveway.

EDIT: It was suggested to me that some brothers might look at this post and think of making one of these. It is felt that there should be a warning regarding the danger. Here are some warnings i found online, they should cover most possibilities: Results not typical, Do not attempt. For entertainment purposes only. For outdoor use only. Harmful if swallowed. In the event of fire, remain calm. Misuse may cause injury or death. Not dishwasher safe. Other restrictions may apply. If anal leakage is observed during use, cease using immediately. Proceed with caution. Provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied. Not for human consumption. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. Not street legal in some states. Read and use at your own risk. Made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. Some rectal discharge may occur. Not to be taken internally. Special receptacle end. Subject to local regulation. Supervise children as necessary until capable of using without supervision. This product is meant for educational purposes only. To touch these wires is instant death. Unplug before servicing. User assumes full liabilities. Use of this device does not enable you to fly. This product is not to be used in bathrooms. Your mileage may vary.
And the warning from a Harbor Freight pack of screwdriver bits: The little part which suffocates when the sharp part which gets hurt is swallowed is contained generously.
cimg3791-medium-.jpg   cimg3793-medium-.jpg   cimg3795-medium-.jpg  
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
red rubi
So long pal!
 
red rubi's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesooota
Posts: 579
Another reason I rarely give electrical advice

What size breaker?
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #22
red rubi
So long pal!
 
red rubi's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesooota
Posts: 579
You might want to take those pics down, I don't care what you do at your home but there are some very real hazards to the way this is set up.

You may know what the hazards are but someone else who doesn't might think this is a good idea and burn their house down from a red glowing wire.

Like the Granny in the shower analogy, just because you can doesn't mean you should.......
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOExFROMxNY View Post
Yes no doubt. I just reread those posts i made earlier this year, i don't remember what got me so heated back then. Oh well, back to jeep stuff.

What was the topic again, oh yeah, wiring for the MM211. When i put in a receptacle in my driveway for my MM211 welder i wanted 220v & 110v available, so i ran 12/3 with ground about 30 feet to the panel box. Then out through the brick wall to an outdoors box. I used the red and black and ground for the 220v receptacle, and the black and white and ground for the 110v receptacle. Then i ordered up 50 feet of flexible 12 AWG cord for an extension cord. I put an NEMA 6-50R recept. on one end and a L6-20P plug on the other. I am probably violating pages of codes and safety rules, but it gets the job done out in the driveway.
Just curious here, Why did you use a 20 amp plug??? Wouldn't it be easier to put in a 6-50 that way the wall plug is the same as the machine plug and is rated for the welder that in some cases pulls 25 amps or so???

I see what you were trying to do and it makes sense, I just didn't understand why you would use something under rated for the job.
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #24
JOExFROMxNY
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Just curious here, Why did you use a 20 amp plug??? Wouldn't it be easier to put in a 6-50 that way the wall plug is the same as the machine plug and is rated for the welder that in some cases pulls 25 amps or so???

I see what you were trying to do and it makes sense, I just didn't understand why you would use something under rated for the job.
I had to think a minute to remember why i did that. when i set up the outdoor recept., it was for my Powermax 30 plasma cutter. that was the plug that was on it. i used it there with no extension cord. when i got the MM211 welder, it did not have that L6-20P plug, so i made the adapter, i just made it a bit longer than i needed so i could move farther away from the outlet.
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #25
JOExFROMxNY
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
You might want to take those pics down, I don't care what you do at your home but there are some very real hazards to the way this is set up.

You may know what the hazards are but someone else who doesn't might think this is a good idea and burn their house down from a red glowing wire.

Like the Granny in the shower analogy, just because you can doesn't mean you should.......
i added a disclaimer to the photos.
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.