Mike's Custom Rear Bumper Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Mike's Custom Rear Bumper Build

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Mike's Custom Rear Bumper Build

Okay, so I couldn't decide what style rear bumper I wanted, so I got to thinking, got to drawing, and finally came up with a basic idea of what I wanted. Thanks to Trevor at Fortin Ironworks (Grandview, OH) for taking my idea and turning it into a real cut plan. He cut the 2 inch box iron for me, I spent today putting it all together (keep in mind this is my first time ever welding).

Okay so here is the iron sitting on the floor, pre-weld...there were some substantial gaps, I spent awhile getting everything exactly as I wanted it to keep the filling of gaps to a minimum

A few of the gaps, managed to keep them to less than 1/4"

Welding (all mig)

Figured this was a good idea for traction as a step, and a solid surface to weld the reese style hitch to the bottom.

Almost finished product, have to finsih with cleanup, some grinding left, primer, spray on bedliner. I am looking for any advice as to how to mount this to my jeep, I had an idea, but couldn't make it happen...I felt that my method would not have been as sturdy as I would like....please any suggestions are welcome!

Let me know what you think...Trevor gave me a great idea for a double swingaway...will probably end up doing a typical swingaway. HOW DO I MOUNT THIS TO MY REAR BUMPER????

Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your reciever Hitch, what do you plan on using it for? I really hope not recovery, even with strong welds it will brake loose ( Trust me i have done it, i have made it broke it and made it agin ).
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

you could take some plate 3/16 th or 1/4 inch~4x8 works, drill some 1/2 holes in them using the existing holes on each end of the cross member.

take some tubing and sandwich (mmm sandwich) it between the bumper and plate above.

heres one idea http://www.4x4xplor.com/LoD-Xtreme.html

its a web site you needed to access to see the pics

Last edited by prd_cdn; 08-14-2009 at 09:49 AM..
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
reverie02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

looks cool.
scroll down to TJ rear bumper mounting brackets. $20 can't beat it.
I've got their D-ring shackle tabs and am very happy with them. Just make sure to change the shipping to USPS and not UPS. HUGE price difference.
reverie02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
Your reciever Hitch, what do you plan on using it for? I really hope not recovery, even with strong welds it will brake loose ( Trust me i have done it, i have made it broke it and made it agin ).
Was planning on mounting a winch that can be moved from the front to the rear via reese hitch...you think this is a bad idea?
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd_cdn View Post
you could take some plate 3/16 th or 1/4 inch~4x8 works, drill some 1/2 holes in them using the existing holes on each end of the cross member.

take some tubing and sandwich (mmm sandwich) it between the bumper and plate above.

heres one idea http://www.4x4xplor.com/LoD-Xtreme.html
mounts to the cross member and sandwich the bumper top and bottom? Having trouble seeing the pics
Unread 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

How's that receiver tube welded on? & what size plate is on top of it? Got any more pics?

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

It is just welded around the edge currently, I am going to weld on a few L brackets for extra support. The plate is 3/16th I believe. I'll take some more pics later (at work till 6) with a better quality camera...the ones above are all from my BlackBerry Storm
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

and no, not a bad idea making your winch move able front to rear.

Some things to consider ... the pulling stress on the receiver can or could warp the tube especially at the holes, any twisting will put the hole line up out of whack.

wiring.. do you want those hot wires running front and rear full time? maybe a cut off switch like this and how do you keep the connections from falling the dirt??

receiver pin needs to be mounted in a direction that gonna need to make it easy when trying to hold the 80 lbs plus winch.

I am incorporating the same thing in my bumper and those are just some things I've come across in my build.

Also here a close up of mine, its only tacked in as I am in need of a welder, you can see how I am mounting my bumper.

Last edited by prd_cdn; 08-14-2009 at 10:19 AM..
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

I need to find a way to better secure the receiver...I think it doesnt really look finished the way I have it either...

My idea for the wiring was something similar to what tow trucks use, a big femal connector mounted on the front bumper and one on the rear that is run directly from the battery...tow trucks plug their jumper cables into these for power, so clamps are only on the one end....I haven't figured the specifics out yet, but that was my basic idea, all I have to do is unplug the winch from the female outlet on the front, swap to the rear plug in there...make sense?

Like this:

Unread 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Was planning on mounting a winch that can be moved from the front to the rear via reese hitch...you think this is a bad idea?
If you do some more supports on the reese hitch you should be good.

Key points, Recovery is not just a stright pull, it's every direction so your braces have to support in every direction, But you got a good plan.
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking that receiver will be a reason you use the winch. Why not move it up and back into your bumper? hanging down and sticking out will be a hang up point while off road.
1995 4.0l, 5spd., 4:88's, ARB's F/R, 4"RC lift, homebrew bumpers & tire carrier, homebrew gas tank skid, lined inside, Cobra cb, smitty winch, 130w & 55w Hella lights

Envy our past, Fear our future Go Cats!

Take a look at our club
www.torcoffroad.com & here on JF
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/brand-new-ky-offroad-club-678937/
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboyky View Post
I'm thinking that receiver will be a reason you use the winch. Why not move it up and back into your bumper? hanging down and sticking out will be a hang up point while off road.
That is a good point...thanks for the input, a lot of trial and error here. I'll get some more pics posted as I get closer to the finished product, you guys have given me some great ideas, thanks! Anything else you might suggest is always appreciated!

Mike
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

If you are going to use it for the winch, as said above, put it like this (excuse the bad photoshop):

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
If you are going to use it for the winch, as said above, put it like this (excuse the bad photoshop):
I would put a piece of tube on the left and right side of the reciever, then weld everything front & rear. If no one has said it, add frame tie in brackets. Either make them, or go to Gen Right and purchase them. Basic idea is if you are going to use this bumper for recovery, you need to be able to lift the Jeep totally off the ground using nothing but this bumper as an attachment point.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.