mig welding instruction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > mig welding instruction

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

mig welding instruction

I have been welding for a few years now,usually just small projects and things here are there for friends.I am welding with a millermatic 180 and .035 wire and a bottle.I am wanting to learn how to make my welds look better than they do now.i know practice practice practice but it seems that my welds all stay around the same for the last year.I don't have the time to take the local tech class,so i was wondering if there were some links online to help me out or anything you can suggest to me.i will post up a few of my welds later tonight after i get home form the shop.Thanks see you all later.

Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are you able to see the puddle clearly?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Here are a few things that generally work for me.

Basic tips to pretty looking welds....

1. Clean nozzle
2. Correct wire speed and heat
3. Pay attention to your travel speed by observing the puddle.
4. Ensure your stick out does not exceed 1/4" if possible.

Now, to get pretty looking beads I use a variety of "standard" methods to include the following...

1. The "pull / push" technique. Use the pull motion and every 1/4" or so give it a little push.
2. Little circles
3. Make little cursive c's

I often change things up as I am welding to try new things. For the smaller stuff, I really like the pull / push technique. You get really pretty welds.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Terrain Twister
2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ur-skills/mig/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.