Mig Or Stick For Jeep Projects? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Mig Or Stick For Jeep Projects?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mig Or Stick For Jeep Projects?

After realizing that i have an unlimited supply of scrap metal to practice on, i thought it would be a good idea to buy a welder and learn how to weld.

I'm getting sick of paying ridiculous prices for things i could make in a day.

If i plan on building things for my jeep, mostly bumpers, roof racks, doing repairs underneath it, etc etc, would you recommend mig or stick?

Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

220V MIG. you can do a lot with it and you can find a good new one for several hundred $$.

Stick is mostly used for structural stuff, its not widely used for jeep accessories but its been done.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
220V MIG. you can do a lot with it and you can find a good new one for several hundred $$.

Stick is mostly used for structural stuff, its not widely used for jeep accessories but its been done.
That's what i was thinking. I always just thought stick was stronger. I don't want to hit something with my bumper and just have the thing crumble to pieces because i welded it with x instead of x.

Do you happen to know any welders that fit the bill you just described?

Also is there any threads on here that explain everything there is to know about mig welding? I've never welded before. I don't know what type of wire to use for the metals, how to adjust the voltage/speed feed settings accordingly, etc etc. Would i need the argon gas to weld this kind of stuff, or would i just use a flux core wire?
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

220V MIG with gas..... even a newbie can learn to lay a purdee bead.

You will have a serious amount of $$ in it by time you purchase the machine (one that is worth owning), plus renting/purchasing the tank, wiring the garage, etc.,, but it is soo worth it.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
220V MIG with gas..... even a newbie can learn to lay a purdee bead.

You will have a serious amount of $$ in it by time you purchase the machine (one that is worth owning), plus renting/purchasing the tank, wiring the garage, etc.,, but it is soo worth it.
What would be your recommendation?
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
What would be your recommendation?
I'm not a welder, but I did stay at Holiday Inn

I think any of the big names would be fine, Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, etc.. I just would avoid a Harbor Freight or something like... Everyone I know that started with a 110v quickly out grew it... I started with a 220v then had opportunity/need to use a 110v and Wow!! what a difference, I am so glad I have the 220v machine.
Unread 03-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

you can get into stick welding cheaper, but it does take a bit more practice. i run stick on my projects at home most of the time, i dont even own a mig welder. there's no gas involved, just strike an arc and go. you could probably find and older lincoln tombstone welder with rods and a hood on craigslist for $200. i spent $160 alone on my argon bottle, and it's not even a big one. but like i said, stick does take quite a bit more practice to figure out as compared to mig
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

doesn't stick have a lot of splatter and difficult to lay a nice bead?

anyways, if you're looking for cheap you can get a harbor freight or northern tool. take a peek on craigslist. if you have 700 to spend get a good lincoln welder

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also started out with a normal / fixed lens hood, then I switched to an auto darkening hood..., don't waste your time with the fixed lens, the auto hood is so much nicer to weld with.

Like I said before, a 220v MIG with gas really makes welding and laying down a nice looking bead an easy task for a newbie. Get the machine setup, buy some scrap 3/16 metal pieces and go to town... After several times of practicing, you will probably be looking like a professional welder
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i started out with a stick welder, ive built everything on my jeep with a stick welder, no welding process will ever surpass stick welding- it is simple, cost effective, little to no maintenance necessary, and there are no consumables/ shielding gas that you have to deal with. if you can stick weld, you can pretty much weld with any other process (with a little practice). there is a reason it is still the main welding process used in pipe fitting.

you can do anything with a stick welder that you can with mig, does take a lot more practice, and it is harder to weld sheet metal. contrary to popular belief, stick welding doesnt spatter much when you have proper arc control and some nice welding rod. A nice AC/DC stick machine can be had for around $200 - $400.
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Personally, I would get a 220 mig. If you can't swing the shielding gas kit, run flux core for now. I started with flux core and I never switched over. I find the flux helps a bit if the metal isn't perfectly clean. I also tote my welder all over the place, to work, my buddies house, my shop, my dads shop etc. The shielding gas set-up would make transportation on a regular basis more difficult.

I still use stick for big stuff. When I do anything attached to an axle tube for example. Or if you are into welding spider gears alot (most of us have gone through this phase at some point, luckily we outgrow it) you can buy nickel rods without needing to buy a whole spool of it..

I would still stick with the wire feed. Just make sure its a good name like lincoln, miller, hobart etc. I love my lincoln. Its the best tool in my shop

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacksahara View Post
--snip-- Its the best tool in my shop
It's funny, when I purchased my machine, I was worried that I'd never use it enough to get my money's worth out of it..... Man was I worried about nothing. Once you own a welding machine, you discover so many ways of using it. Welding nuts and bolts to stripped out nuts & bolts is one of my favorite uses.
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Alright i've narrowed it down to two choices. Could i get someones opinion on which one to get?

Lincoln - http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...roduct=K3018-1

Hobart - http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...ed/handler190/

There is a 30$ difference, but other than that they look about the same. I like the dual input on the Lincoln. I think i'm going to get that one. However, if you think both of them are bad, please speak up.
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Both are good, get the one you you feel comfortable with.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Both are good, get the one you you feel comfortable with.
Haven't used/touched either of them.

If they're about equal i'll get the lincoln.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.