MIG ? regarding varying material thicknesses - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > MIG ? regarding varying material thicknesses

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
CJinDNA
1979 CJ7 

MIG ? regarding varying material thicknesses

I am just getting started with MIG welding and have recently reached a point of understanding the mechanics. I have what is likely a very noob question regarding heat/speed setup when welding material which has mixed thicknesses.

As an example, if I were looking to weld axle perches to an axle tube in which the perch is 0.1875 and the axle tube is 0.25 would you set the MIG up for the thicker material and risk burning through the thinner material or is a heat range set up for the thinner material going to provide the necessary penetration for the thicker material?

CJinDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I am no expert but I set it towards the thicker material and then spend more time on the thicker side to keep from burning through.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

X2. Set up for thicker and make your stroke a bit quicker over the thinner piece. I practiced by getting some scrap metal of different thicknesses and used different joint types between the two (lap, butt, T, ect)

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
CJinDNA
1979 CJ7 

Certianly appreciate the advise and will be looking to pick up some scrap this weekend for some testing as suggested.
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What those guys said.Set it for the thick metal and work the hot puddle into the thin side.You will get the hang of it.
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

3/16" and 1/4" are close enough in thickness that you shouldn't have to worry about burning thru if you're set up for 1/4".

Based on your question (and the critical nature of a spring perch), I would definately recommend a good amount of practice before burning in something like perches.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
CJinDNA
1979 CJ7 

Thanks again for the feedback. I am certainly no where near ready to put my life at risk with my welding skills (or lack of), the perch was the first thing that came to mind as to when this issue would crop up. Spent a little too much time practicing, without sleeves, already today and you can imagine what my weld burn looks like at the inside of my elbow..... Just another lesson
Unread 06-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You can buy some "slip on" sleeves. I like the Blue Miller sleeves. The elastic stays "tight" a long time. I used to weld without sleeves a few years ago.. arms always looked like those of a junky

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

X whatever on washing from the thick stuff to the thin stuff.
I weld alot without sleeves, it's only for short times...most of the time. Get some spats if your gonna be welding in tennis shoes and short socks, them dang dingle berries will ruin a good pair of socks and burn something fierce too.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
robphillips00
2009 JK Wrangler 

Miller has a weld calculator as does esab. Set your machine for the heavier material. Practice your welds on scrap material first.
robphillips00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.