Metal coil spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Metal coil spacers

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Metal coil spacers

I go to school for welding. And have access to cheap metal, and mills and lathes and misc. machining equipment. I have seen lots of rubber coil spacers for sale to go over the spring on the front of an xj.

My question is could I make 2"metal spacers? Has anyone done this? I just don't feel the rubber spacers will hold up very long.

94 motor, 4.5" and 35s
xjlife101 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The Mopar front spacers in leveling kits for the RAM are milled aluminum. Not sure what type, just that they are aluminum. Talked with a Mopar tech buddy about them a while back for my truck and he said they seem to hold up much better than the polyurethane so many other aftermarket manufacturers use.
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315
The Mopar front spacers in leveling kits for the RAM are milled aluminum. Not sure what type, just that they are aluminum. Talked with a Mopar tech buddy about them a while back for my truck and he said they seem to hold up much better than the polyurethane so many other aftermarket manufacturers use.
I just don't wanna waste my money on rubber spacers

94 motor, 4.5" and 35s
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Polyurethane spacers work well, and I have never seen or heard of any problems with them breaking down.

A person could use aluminum and to make spacers, but it is not worth the time/effort as poly spacer cost about $35 a pair.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjlife101 View Post
I just don't wanna waste my money on rubber spacers
I don't think polyurethane spacers would be a waste of your money. I just added my friend's opinion as support that you could use aluminum as well. Didn't mean to suggest aluminum was the way you had to go - your question in the OP was whether or not you could make spacers out of something in your metal shop with a mill or something.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
GreenliftedTJ97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2006-Je...045041&vxp=mtr

New Jersey & you, broke together since 1787
GreenliftedTJ97 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright thanks everyone

94 motor, 4.5" and 35s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.