Materials - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Materials

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 09-11-2003, 08:25 PM   #1
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Materials

Where would one go about finding materials for fabing rockers and skids. Diamond plate for rockers and whatever material is best for skids.

Thanx

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 11:21 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

I get all my needed materials from a local farm supply service.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 06:22 AM   #3
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

There should be a welding supply/store in your area. Call them and ask where to go for metal. Since welding and metal go hand n' hand they should know a good place nearby.
Or just look in the phone book for a metal supply or fabrication & welder supply. Or anything like that. One brand name is National Welders so look for that. Ummm... I'd stay away from any BIg Box store when buying metal. YOu can get a piece of 4foot flat stock for like 3bucks at a metal shop. At Tractor supply that same metal would be like 20 bucks! I'm not kidding, Lowe's, any of them! It is worth your money to spend the time to find the real metal supply in your town.

Make sure to not get Aluminum Diamond plate, that is too soft for rocker protection. You may already know that, so sorry if I'm sounding like i'm talking down to you.

Anyway good luck and welcome to the Fab world
Unread 09-12-2003, 09:19 AM   #4
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No offense taken, I need all the help I can get sometimes. I'd rather thoroughness than missing that all important point. Thanx for the info, now it's time to sink more money into the money pit.

I think I'm going to get a personalized plate, "Mny Pit" , if it's not taken...sorry, thinking out loud.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

for my rockers, i went to a local sheet metal shop and had them make me some out of 304 stainless. they ran the stainless through a timesaver to give it a brushed look. looks great!
for your metal needs, it really pays to shop around! big mark ups in steel.
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 10:33 AM   #6
dzp

I guess I am lucky because we've got a steel manufacturer here in Tyler. Steel is very cheap when you buy it from the right place. If there is no place near that produces the steel, then start with the larger fab shops. Also, if you take whatever lenght that they have, you will save yourself the $$ for cutting it. 20 and 24 feet lengths are common.
[URL=http://www.dzpdrafting.com]DZP Drafting & Fabrication[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepet.com]Jeeps of East Texas Club[/URL]
[URL=http://www.tkff.com]Tyler Kung Fu & Fitness[/URL]
dzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 02:22 AM   #7
BamaJeeper

I prefer the local scrapyard. Both of my bumpers are made from materials purchased from the scrapyard for less than $25.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.