Lowered (between the rails) winch bumper design/build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Lowered (between the rails) winch bumper design/build

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lowered (between the rails) winch bumper design/build

Okay guys, I've been designing a front bumper for my YJ that positions the winch plate on the bottom of the frame rails, allowing the winch to sit between the rails. I am looking for design flaws or oversights from those of you who know more about retrofitting my whole front end with a custom bumper/crossmember.

My reasons for designing such a bumper are listed below:

-I wanted a challenge, and a unique look for my Jeep
-Lower CG (not much but I'm using it as a reason anyways)
-Aesthetics (I like the look of Hanson and ARB bumpers, but not the price)
-Protection for my winch
-Ability to customize the end caps for long or stubby setup (also good for damage repair)

Please take a look at my first thread about doing this in the YJ section for more background info: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...bumper-931159/ You will notice several changes from that thread to what I am planning here, and I am pretty sure it will change slightly again due to your input.

I plan to start with the standard YJ front end with a 3" diameter tube front crossmember and weld my 1/4" thick 7" wide winch plate to the bottom of the frame before I cut out the crossmember. See the next few pictures:

stock-frame.jpg   winch-plate-assembly.jpg   winch-plate-attach.jpg  

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Won't the steering box be in the way of the winch in that area?

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Next I plan to remove the crossmember and cap the inside portion of the "thru-hole" to make a solid frame to weld to on the inside. Next I plan to add a set of shackle attach points to the bottom of the new winch plate for my leafs to attach to. Then I can add the front plate to form the "front bumper" portion.
tube-removal.jpg   shackle-attach.jpg   front-fairlead-attach.jpg  

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Hmmm... not sure, but sounds like it would. I guess I might have a steering box relocation or project modification in my future. Thanks for the heads up and I'll look into this further once the rain lets up

Unread 02-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Next I was planning on adding shackle mounts welded to the inside of the frame where the tube used to be. The finishing aesthetics for the bumper is the slanted bottom plate that shouldn't negatively effect the approach angle or swinging of the shackle on flex.
add-shackle-hangers.jpg   add-lower-fairing.jpg   bumper-base.jpg  

Unread 02-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I like it so far. But you should enclose around the frame to fill the empty space. And maybe give it some shorty endcaps.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterXJ View Post
I like it so far. But you should enclose around the frame to fill the empty space. And maybe give it some shorty endcaps.
The plan is to make some bolt on endcaps to complete it... I think a set of shorty endcaps with steep upward angles about 5" long, and a set of longer endcaps for DD protection and when I am just out and about. I figure about (4-5) 1/2" bolts with guide sleeves welded through the frame will hold the end caps securely enough to survive an impact or two before replacement

Unread 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
redlandlj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i love it!!!! how about using some big angle? cant wait to see it finished.
redlandlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I think you should weld the nuts for the bolts onto the frame bumper for much easier removal and installation.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
pzary3233

Wow, I love where this is going!
pzary3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you check out the link to my other thread you can see the end caps I have planned for it... Since I only have access to CATIA at work I'll have to wait till Monday to add the endcaps with thu-bolts

It does look like the steering box will take require some modifications to the drivers side of my winch plate, but I guess some big gussets should maintain strength

Unread 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Yes, it will.

I did something similar on my YJ (but with less plate and more tube), and the mounting structure was far back enough that it would be totally where my steering box would have been (I didn't use a mechanical steering box). I was running a narrowed comp-style winch too. My friend Rob did the same thing with a Warn 9000 not narrowed and there was only a couple of inches between the frame and winch on either side.

Here is my old Jeep.

I ended up cutting the frame off in front of the engine mounts and tubing it for lower ride height and improved suspension travel. You can see how I made the winch mount in this picture. A piece of 1.5x.120 across the frame rails with a piece of .25 plate flush with the bottom of the frame, connecting the 1.5 tube to the bumper. The piece of tube was right behind the steering box sleeves so there wouldn't have been any room for a box if I ran one.

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
wozz

Is that Catia I see there. Cool I idea!
wozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
509media
1930 JK Wrangler 

Very Cool. I built a similar set up on my YJ about 12 years ago. You will have to work about the steering box but it is not a big deal. You can find pics of my old red Jeep HERE I did not narrow the winch to make it work if you are wondering.

509media is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
John_Wayne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a really cool idea. I might do that this summer...
when life gives you lemons.....make a trail rig out of it.
98 Tj Sahara, 4" SkyJacker, 2"BL, 35x12.50 DC Mud Country, Warn XP-9500, Front High-line Fenders -FOR SALE
97 Tj Sahara, 4" Lift, 33's, 10,000lb Winch.... - SOLD
98 Volvo S70 T5, Lowered, 18" Volvo R Mags -SOLD
86 Bronco Eddie Bauer Trail Truck - SOLD
96 Ford F150, 5.0L V8, Auto, 31's - Current Daily Driver..
John_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.