Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Lowered (between the rails) winch bumper design/build

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  YJhobby 
#1 ·
Okay guys, I've been designing a front bumper for my YJ that positions the winch plate on the bottom of the frame rails, allowing the winch to sit between the rails. I am looking for design flaws or oversights from those of you who know more about retrofitting my whole front end with a custom bumper/crossmember.

My reasons for designing such a bumper are listed below:

-I wanted a challenge, and a unique look for my Jeep
-Lower CG (not much but I'm using it as a reason anyways)
-Aesthetics (I like the look of Hanson and ARB bumpers, but not the price)
-Protection for my winch
-Ability to customize the end caps for long or stubby setup (also good for damage repair)

Please take a look at my first thread about doing this in the YJ section for more background info: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/talk-me-out-removing-front-crossmember-winch-bumper-931159/ You will notice several changes from that thread to what I am planning here, and I am pretty sure it will change slightly again due to your input.

I plan to start with the standard YJ front end with a 3" diameter tube front crossmember and weld my 1/4" thick 7" wide winch plate to the bottom of the frame before I cut out the crossmember. See the next few pictures:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Won't the steering box be in the way of the winch in that area?

#4 ·
Hmmm... not sure, but sounds like it would. I guess I might have a steering box relocation or project modification in my future. Thanks for the heads up and I'll look into this further once the rain lets up:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Next I plan to remove the crossmember and cap the inside portion of the "thru-hole" to make a solid frame to weld to on the inside. Next I plan to add a set of shackle attach points to the bottom of the new winch plate for my leafs to attach to. Then I can add the front plate to form the "front bumper" portion.

Attachments

#5 ·
Next I was planning on adding shackle mounts welded to the inside of the frame where the tube used to be. The finishing aesthetics for the bumper is the slanted bottom plate that shouldn't negatively effect the approach angle or swinging of the shackle on flex.

Attachments

#7 ·
The plan is to make some bolt on endcaps to complete it... I think a set of shorty endcaps with steep upward angles about 5" long, and a set of longer endcaps for DD protection and when I am just out and about. I figure about (4-5) 1/2" bolts with guide sleeves welded through the frame will hold the end caps securely enough to survive an impact or two before replacement

#11 ·
If you check out the link to my other thread you can see the end caps I have planned for it... Since I only have access to CATIA at work I'll have to wait till Monday to add the endcaps with thu-bolts

It does look like the steering box will take require some modifications to the drivers side of my winch plate, but I guess some big gussets should maintain strength

#15 ·
Thats a really cool idea. I might do that this summer... :thumbsup:

#16 ·
Thanks for all the pictures and confidence guys! I was planning on getting the steel together and doing this front end mod during the summer, but unfortunately I'm moving at some point and don't know when I'll have the garage space to do this yet...:( Maybe I'll have the kinks worked out of the design and enough space to get it done in July...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.