Low Profile TJ Front Bumper - Rokmen inspired - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Low Profile TJ Front Bumper - Rokmen inspired

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

A stinger will take a pretty good licken when connected to a grill hoop like that.

If you're really worried, raise the mounting point of the brace at the stinger.. and lower it at the grill hoop. That will increase the effectiveness of the brace.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
If you're really worried, raise the mounting point of the brace at the stinger.. and lower it at the grill hoop. That will increase the effectiveness of the brace.
I was thinking the same thing. That would be less likely to bend the grill hoop, if it connects lower down on the grill hoop and higher up on the stinger. The photo above looks like it's done opposite of what it should be for the best strength?

I also thing it would just look better that way too.
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
A stinger will take a pretty good licken when connected to a grill hoop like that.

I like the idea. I will definitely keep that in mind when I get to that point.

Bolted it on so I can finally get the bottom mocked up (without worrying about it shifting). Got the passenger side swaybar mount bolts drilled. Need to do the driver's side. They are there, so I might as well tie the bumper into them.

Going wheeling on Saturday. Hope to have it done by then.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #34
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

im surprised you didnt clean up that rust before bending and welding.
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #35
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
im surprised you didnt clean up that rust before bending and welding.
If I had asked, they would've blasted it first; however, at the start, I gave them basic dimensions, turned around and it was already bent. They have been 'heliarc' welding it, and said they have been cleaning just the area that is receiving the weld.
I trust their work, but I do see where there would be question there.

The bumper structure is done. I need to do some cleanup on a couple spots and have it sandblasted. I am working on the fairlead mount as we speak. Once I am done cutting it out and tacking it on, my welder will do the final welding on it....then I'll have it blasted and painted.
I also have one little trim piece to add at the back of the bumper. It will make more sense through pictures.

I still plan to add a winch hoop and grille hoop (tubes sourced from www.jeeptubes.com), but those can wait for a little bit. I am ready to get this mounted up and the winch back on.

The underside is admitedly unattractive. I was going for as much coverage on the underside as is practical, although I might trim an inch or two off of the bottom plate to save a little weight.

Unread 09-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #36
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I trimmed a couple inches off the bottom of the bumper. There is still a good amount of coverage on the underside, but not over the top like I think it was before. I need to drill the two bolt holes on the bottom....need to get a new drill bit though; snapped it in half being dumb on the top side.

I started cutting out the fairlead mount. I'm not sure I'm happy with it, but I still have some work left.
The outer edges (outside the outermost vertical lines) will get bent back a bit. They will act as bracing. I still might add a couple small gussets on the backside if needed.

I also took a flap disc to the edges to smooth everything over. I wanted a one-piece look. Still have some more work there. Haven't had much time to work on the bumper the last week.

Unread 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got some work done on the fairlead mount this evening.

I cut a recess into the outer sides of the mount, just enough to still keep it connected, but enough to allow me to bend the ends in a bit.

I also cut a section out of those edges to allow the fairlead to sit a little lower. I think I might lower it a bit more.

Clearance between the winch and mount

Unread 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #38
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I started cutting the piece for the back 'cover'. Ran out of cutting discs. I was really hoping to get those pieces cut and tacked on to bring it in for final welding. Oh well, all signs point to this part of the project being done next week.

Unread 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
PeejPilot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

very cool build
PeejPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^^ Thanks!

Construction is all done. Got a coat of primer on it. Mounted it up to head out to my local Jeep club meet. Hope to get it painted this weekend. Still considering powdercoat, but definitely not until the tube work is added.

Unread 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #41
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Slapped some paint on it and got the winch mounted and everything mounted up.

I am seriously considering having it powdercoated after adding the tubes. It looked a lot better in primer...haha.

Unread 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #42
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

nice!
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #43
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^^ Thanks! I am pretty happy with the way it has turned out. There are a couple things I would do differently if I decieded to make another one. However, the size and basic effect are exactly what I have been wanting.

A couple outside/daylight pics:

Unread 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #44
matt93
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is such an awesome design. I'm having my high schools welding shop build me one similar to it. do you think you could tell me what measurements you used? in terms of length from the front of the bumper to the grill, the width of the overall, etc? much appreciated

[COLOR="DarkRed"][/COLOR]Siena Pearl Owners Member 57
matt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #45
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt93 View Post
This is such an awesome design. I'm having my high schools welding shop build me one similar to it. do you think you could tell me what measurements you used? in terms of length from the front of the bumper to the grill, the width of the overall, etc? much appreciated
Thanks! It has proven to be a SOLID bumper. I really enjoy its slim nature. I am anxious to get the Genright trail tubes on there to finish it off.

I don't have any measurements off hand, but I can get some if you are still working on the project.

I finally got around to cutting the sides out to make room/clearance for a Currie Antirock.

Here is a zoomed in picture from a couple weeks ago.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.