Low Profile TJ Front Bumper - Rokmen inspired - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Low Profile TJ Front Bumper - Rokmen inspired

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Low Profile TJ Front Bumper - Rokmen inspired

I have recently made some friends in my company's manufacturing department. Two guys have been kind enough to give me hand in making a front bumper for my TJ. One of the guys has been taking care of the initial cutting and bending of plate, and the other guy will be doing the welding. We are doing this with scrap material, in spare time. I do not weld and will not be learning on this project, but I hope to for future projects.
I am helping with the design for starters, but also getting it fitted and lined up how I want it.

My Jeep's future will contain hi-line, no-flare front and rear fenders. To match that, I want a front bumper that does not extent beyond the frame rails.

The general design comes from a Rokmen custom front bumper, I am sure many have seen. I have a huge admiration for the design, so we are attempting to recreate it in our own fashion.

The bumper is built from a piece of 1/4" plate steel. It will wrap under the frame-rail, and will be capped on the sides.
The initial build will consist of just the bumper with d-ring shackles welded through. The second stage will include a grille and winch hoop.

I will drill for a winch and we will add a fairlead mount in this stage.

Not much to post yet as we just started, and as mentioned, it is being done in spare time.

Basic piece cut to proper width and first try at the front bend.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

A view from the top after just setting it in place for more measurements.

They are going to add some more bend to it. It needs to come back about an inch toward the frame, at the bottom. Then it will be formed to wrap under the frame to tie in there.

Unread 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For now, I run a factory swaybar with disconnects. I am going to drill the top of the bumper to allow the swaybar to be reinstalled. When I add the grille hoop, I will then decide if I am going to work around it and allow the swaybar to remain, or remove it and go without until I get an Antirock.
The side caps will cover the round crossmember, but would be cut when the Antirock is added.

I also plan to build a steering box skid while we're at it all. I have been thinking about incorporating it to the bumper and welding it on, but I'm also considering just making it a separate unit.
Thoughts/opinions on that would be appreciated.

I am ordering the d-rings from Rokmen.

My Rokmen inspiration:

Unread 06-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to ordering the shackle mounts from Rokmen.
A minor detail, but they will match the shackle mounts on the rear when I get their rear bumper.

Unread 06-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is the baby press we are using. Had to give it another go with the bend because the front wasn't kicking back far enough (i.e., too right angle).

Unread 06-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
04WJny

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats going to look great Cant wait to see when its done. What are you planning on doing about the stinger and radiator hoop? are you going to do the same thing
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I can't wait either .

I am wanting to run a stinger and hoop just like the Rokmen setup. I am hoping to find someone local with a tube bender that can make them for me. www.jeeptubes.com offers some prebent stuff, but I prefer the flat stinger, and I would rather have them made specifically for my bumper setup rather than having to make theirs work. If I can't get them made locally, I will likely just order their tubes.
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think this will do just fine......well, I'll see when I get home and lay it on the Jeep.

Unread 06-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if anyone is following along or if I'm moving too slow with nothing to report, but hopefully it will pick up.

The Rokmen shackles should be here today, so those can get burned in next week.

I dropped the plate on the frame last night. It's exactly the angle I was looking for. They are going to get it marked and have the bottom part of the bumper bent under.

Unread 06-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
JPH1486
2001 TJ Wrangler 

you just gonna weld the shackle mounts on the inside and out? you think that will be enough? and how thick is plate you are using?
JPH1486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
JPH1486
2001 TJ Wrangler 

and your from katy? are you part of hjp?
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rokmen shackle mounts came in today.

mmmm beefy!

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH1486 View Post
you just gonna weld the shackle mounts on the inside and out? you think that will be enough? and how thick is plate you are using?
They will be welded to the front and back of the 1/4" steel. If I mount them in the middle of the bumper face like they are in the pictures above, we will add some 1/4" plate to either side of the shackles that will weld to them and the top and bottom of the inside bumper. It's hard to explain, but there will be additional support in some form.

This shows some plate (yellow) welded to the top and bottom of the bumper and also to the shackle.

The other thought is to mount the shackles up toward the top of the face of the bumper, just under the top portion. That would give us the front face to weld, as well as the back side and the part under the top of the bumper.

This is a bad paint job, but it should illustrate that well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH1486 View Post
and your from katy? are you part of hjp?
I go to the Katy area HJP monthly meetup "meetings". I have not been on any wheeling events yet, but hope to soon.
Unread 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
JPH1486
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think that second pic will look better and be stronger. I like the way its turning out, i may have to change my bumper build up some now

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.