Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking for a welder in the Atlanta, GA area for small task ...

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  verteggio 
#1 ·
Based on a suggestion in the TJ technical forum, I'm wondering if there are any welders from here or that could be recommended in the Atlanta, GA area for a small job?

Basically, I have stripped out the fill bolt on a AX-15 transmission. I'm trying to find a way to get it out so I can do a transmission fluid change.

Jerry B. gave the idea of tack welding a slightly smaller nut onto the fill nut to spin it out. This seams like the next logical route to follow, so is there anyone that might be able to help me out with this as I have no welding experience? I have no problems driving to your location.

THanks!

#7 ·
No room to get a drill in there... I'm hoping to do this without removing the transmission (which would be more of a headache).

The front driveshaft is about 2 inchess from it, and there's some plastic thing that attaches to the bellhousing right above it - Afraid heat would melt it.

About 5-6 inches from the nut is the body... even with a right-angle drill I wouldn't be able to get it in there :(

#9 ·
Thanks Island4x4, I really do appreciate it. Just frustrated and at this point there's not much more that I can think of except welding the nut and using the nut to loosen it, or having the dealer get it out (said it would take an hour or two -- which would end up costing about $150 or more!)

Any welders out in my area that think they could help me out with welding a nut to it?

#10 ·
I am not familiar with the plug/nut in question. I bet it's a large allen wrench type though isn't it? If it is you could JB Weld a nut that would fit snug in there. Let the JB cure 24 hrs and then stick a wrench on it and see if it comes loose. I have done this myself a number of times on stuff that welding would not be possible on.

#11 ·
It's so tight that the head has been stripped off, we went through an entire page of suggestion in another forum trying to figure out a way to get it off.

From here on, I'm hoping only someone near Atlanta who can weld will answer to volunteer to weld a nut onto his tranny's stripped out 15/16" hex nut. :)

#13 ·
Verteggio,

StevenH is probably right - find a small metal shop and drive in. If they don't want to do it, they can probably tell you someone local that will.

What side of Atlanta are you in?

-- Jim

#14 ·
Thanks StevenH and Magnum

Not being familiar with welding too much I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to stop by any shop and see if they can do it.

I appreciate the offer StevenH, but it looks like your about 2 hours away from me. I'll look into finding a local metal shop this week and give it a shot, but will keep you in mind in case I don't have any luck.

Magnum -- I'm out by the Mall of Georgia, not far from Duluth. Got any recommendations?

#17 ·
Verteggio,

I've never tried this place, but there is a shop on Buford Highway with a sign that says something like "WE DO ANY SIZE WELDING JOB". From Pleasant Hill Road, it is about 1 mile north, on the right-hand side. I will try to drive by it today to get the name and number.

-- Jim

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for the ideas and support.. I found a local offroad shop that does installations, so I'm going to stop by there tomorrow morning and see if they can help. (never knew it existed.. go figure!).

@bigjeep913 -- If this shop can't work with it, I think I might take you up on your offer. Conyers isn't far from where I work, so it's not far out of my way. Thanks!

#20 ·
Well whaddya know... threaten it with a trip to a welder and it comes off! But seriously, I finally got it off after soaking for days in PB Blaster and with a pipe wrench.

Thanks everyone for the offers of helping me out ... although I'm new to the forum, looks like I found a great place to hang out and hopefully be able to help others in the future.

If your interested in carnage pictures, heres the aftermath: Click here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.