Looking for a good air hammer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Looking for a good air hammer

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
Rio_Grande
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for a good air hammer

I am looking for a good air hamer that can spend the day busting rivets quickly and not self destruct. Figuring it needs to be heavy duty with a long barrel.

Looking for recomendations. the little ones will not keep up. Any suggestions.

Unread 07-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For when you are through with screwing around, there is the 9x aircraft rivet gun:

TAYLOR 9X Rivet Gun - .498 Shank

You'll need an adaptor to reduce the .498" shank down to the .401" that standard air hammers (including most other rivet guns) accept:

Rivet Gun Shaft Reducer

Be careful.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

A guy that owns a trucking company next to my shop keeps asking me to fix his trailers that are riveted.

How do you do use one of those tools?

Do you just hold a dolly behind the rivet and hammer away?

Sorry for the hijack.
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
A guy that owns a trucking company next to my shop keeps asking me to fix his trailers that are riveted.

How do you do use one of those tools?

Do you just hold a dolly behind the rivet and hammer away?
Basically, yeah. The dolly is referred to as a bucking bar, and there is a bit of skill involved. For large skins, you usually need two people, one to run the gun, and one to hold the bucking bar. This requires some practice, and usually more skill to hold the bucking bar than run the gun. There are bucking bars available in all different shapes and sizes, or you can make your own. You also need to have the right "set" (the part that goes where the chisel would on the gun) for the shape of rivet you are using. The 9X gun that I linked is way overkill for all but the largest rivets; we needed one in the shop the other day, but only to knock out a seized up bolt on a 737 thrust reverser. Aircraft riveting is more normally done using a 2-4x gun. I personally use a 3X recoilless gun from US Tool that is capable of setting up to 5/32" AD (hard) rivets, with bucking bars of my own construction. I've been seriously lusting after one of the new tungsten bars that are becoming popular.

Here is a basic tutorial; the first part of it covers bucked rivet installation:

Aircraft Construction, Riveted Joints

And here is the actual mil spec:

Rivet Application and Installation - Engineers Edge

Here is a picture of the bucking bars that I made. The leather cases are to prevent the polished surfaces from getting scratched; that may have been a bit excessive on my part:

http://www.bearhawkin.com/images/buckbars.jpg
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

After you shoot a few rivets with tungenston your other bars will see more rust than bucking time. And your hands will love you for it. Also you do know the elevator weights are tungeston.

Op; a 9X rivet gun is a beast and hearing protection is your friend. Also what kind..size & composition.. aluminum, monel???of rivets are you using it on?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air hammer , rivet gun

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.