Looking @ Compressors - How many CFM? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Looking @ Compressors - How many CFM?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looking @ Compressors - How many CFM?

I'm looking to upgrade the low end Harbor Freight Pancake 5 Gal compressor that I have with something that is actually good for something other than blowing up tires...

I'm not looking to do crazy stuff, but at least run the air ratchet, hammer, grinder, cutter, etc...

I only have 110 in the garage and looking for 25-30ish gallons (I think)... Would prefer something that doesn't rattle the cement under my feet

How much CFM's should I be looking at? I see many of the "lower priced" models arround 5-6cfm's

I can't spend $1000, but looking for suggestions....

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

after looking though quite a few sites, it looks like if I want 60 Gal, I'm going to have to go 220/240v in the garage...if I stick with 110, I'll probably have to stay in the 25-30 gal range and something in the 5-6cfm range, something like this one for $400 at Home Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-100063473

Not sure, but might be able to get a deal on this one...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tls/918322431.html

27 gallons
7.7 CFM @ 40 PSI
6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI
6 peak HP motor
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 11-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the tools you're wanting to run and what CFM they take to operate, that'll give you a much better idea of what you need. I've got a Craftsman 5hp 60gal unit and it works great for impacts and stuff, but it cycles a lot with sanders, cutters, etc. that run more constant.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

For price, size etc, that first HD one is a good buy. Belt driven so it will be quiet. I have it's little brother. it is loud, oilless, and has a peak of 5.5. works ok with most but the grinder,cutter,sander makes her cycle. You should be ok for the home shop setup with that unit.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lowes has a 30 gal upright that is belt driven with 2 piston pump for around $400. It's a Kobalt model. 6.2 cfm at 40 psi and 5.3 at 90 psi. It's a 110 model. I was looking at this one.

https://www.kobalttools.com/ (you'll have to click around to find it since their site doesn't give direct links to products).

I think the one HD has is a single piston pump. I looked at that one also. The belt driven are much quieter than the vibrating ones.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrasm View Post
Lowes has a 30 gal upright that is belt driven with 2 piston pump for around $400. It's a Kobalt model. 6.2 cfm at 40 psi and 5.3 at 90 psi. It's a 110 model. I was looking at this one.

https://www.kobalttools.com/ (you'll have to click around to find it since their site doesn't give direct links to products).

I think the one HD has is a single piston pump. I looked at that one also. The belt driven are much quieter than the vibrating ones.
Good choice.

FYI, the Husky and Cobalt are almost identical. They come from the same manufacturer, Cambell-Hausfield. Both 2 piston pumps.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Many air tools use a substantial amount of air especially the cheaper air tools (I have one sander that uses more than 16 cfm). If you want to use air tools get a substantial compressor or you will spend all of your time waiting for it to build pressure...

I use a little 2 horse 110v compressor for tires.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check the low end 220 models, some of them will let you re-wire the motor for 110. My 5HP 33 gal. Craftsman is like that, 9CFM if I remember. Just check what amps they draw on 110, you may need a 20 or 25 amp breaker.

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtty58 View Post
Check the low end 220 models, some of them will let you re-wire the motor for 110. My 5HP 33 gal. Craftsman is like that, 9CFM if I remember. Just check what amps they draw on 110, you may need a 20 or 25 amp breaker.
My crappy one blows the only 15 Amp Circuit in my Garage...

How much $$$ am I looking at to have someone come in and run 220 or add a 20-25 amp breaker?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #10
corvetteguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where is your fuse panel in location to where the compressor will be?
corvetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteguy View Post
Where is your fuse panel in location to where the compressor will be?
In the Hallway entering from the Inside Garage Door (maybe 4' from Door to panel) into the House (also where the Washer Dryer are)

Current Compressor (and 15amp outlet) maybe 8-10 ft from the door along the back wall..

So maybe 12-15 feet total along 2 walls (90 Degree)

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
corvetteguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i would install a 220/230 breaker...then exit bottom of panel and right below panel install an external outlet...like for the dryer.

then, use some SJ cord...like used for welder extension cords and run from outlet out to compressor when needed. thats really a short distance.

when not used, just unplug cord...would be cheapest/easiest/fastest wasy to get 220 to garage.

do you have any wiring experience?

if panel and compressor share same wall, but different side...that would be SUPER easy to wire in a 220 outlet in garage
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
corvetteguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OR....get some SJ cable long enough to reach compressor and wire on a plug that matches dryer outlet.......

unlug dryer....plug up compressor and swap when finished.....very easy
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
How much $$$ am I looking at to have someone come in and run 220 or add a 20-25 amp breaker?
That shouldn't be too bad. I'd do it for you for a 12 pack if you weren't 4+ Hrs. away. It's really not hard at all, you can get a How To type book from Home Depot or Lowes or the library and be able to handle that small of a job.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do big AC Units (full sized House Compressor) use 220/240? I just realized that I had AC installed in 2007 and they had to run conduit thru the garage and through the back wall to power this AC unit. It's running to my main outside breaker box out side my Garage adn there is a junction box inside the Garage before it goes outside. Could that be tapped into... It's probably no more than 8 feet from where my current power (and could be closer to where a bigger compressor could live.

BTW, I'm a complete wiring idiot when it comes to home stuff... replaced every wall socket in the house when we moved it and zapped the crap out of myself becuase I was too lazy to figure out which breakers I needed to pull... You would think it would have only taken one zap... I'm a slow learner I guess.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.