A few friends came over to help me knock out some of the odds and ends tonight. I drilled and tapped the new axle vent, torqued down all the control arms, final painting (though I missed some spots), changed the diff fluid, trimmed the skid plate to clear the front brackets, and then also moved my front brake line brackets a little lower since the brake line was pretty much acting as a limiting strap up front.
Anyway, here's some pics:
This is under its own weight. I think I may end up building longer lower arms eventually. At full bump it's about a 1/4" from the gas tank (not like that will ever happen):
I still have to secure the brake lines:
Sitting on the ground again!
I stretched the wheelbase quite a bit more than it was, but unfortunately, the wheelbase was really short before so it only measures 94" right now. Doesn't make much sense to me because it actually looks streatched more than just a 1/2" more overall than stock. Ah well...
After I got it on the ground I noticed the axle was shifted to the passenger side by about an inch! I just got underneath and turned the upper control arms and easily shifted the axle over. Easy as pie!!
Then I took it for a test drive and it's great! It rides really smoothly, takes bumps great, and the "torque steer" from the Detroit is significantly reduced. So far I'm really, really pleased.
I think about $400 in bushings and Johnny Joints, the steel was free (otherwise maybe $200), and miscellaneous stuff/consumables, maybe another $100 or so. The number of man hours? Priceless.
By the way, I banged the ever lovin' hell out of it this past weekend at the Texas Twister and it did absolutely fantastic! I'll have plenty of pics later, but it got it up climbs I wouldn't have thought possible for a Jeep on 35's.
Well, I wheeled the Jeep this past weekend and I couldn't be happier with the way it performed. Instead of all the anti-squat inducing hopping and such from my short arms, the new rear end just pushed the Jeep up and over obstacles. It was subjected to tons of hard hits, lots of rocks, and the most extreme terrain I've put my Jeep through yet. I should point out that a sway bar endlink bolt backed out while trailering it so I removed it and wheeled with no rear bar and the front bar disconnected.
Lordy no! I'd be more than happy to lend a hand on someone else's rig (when I'm no longer burned out!), but I don't have the time or desire to make and sell them. I would merely suggest someone purchase the Clayton kit if the cash is there, otherwise if you'd like to save some money, do what I did. I won't lie. It was a lot of work and makes a heck of a mess in your garage.