Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

Trailing Arms!JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #106
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, fortunately, I've got the tow rig and econoturd to drive while the Jeep is down for the count.

Tommy

Unread 05-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #107
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I see a light at the end of the tunnel. And it might not be a train!

So tonight I made tons of progress....

The Good: Got everything painted and the brackets welded to the frame and axle. Also got the control arms in place.

The Bad: I forgot to remove my diff cover and the heat from the welding looks to have done a number on my reuseable diff cover gasket. No worries. RTV to the rescue!

The Ugly: Some of my welds!! In reality I made multiple passes, but in some cases the top welds came out looking ugly.

Here's the brackets getting paint. I then ground away the paint where the welding would be. Access to paint after installation would've been a pain for some parts:

And with the upper and lower control arms. Note the uppers use LH and RH threads so I can adjust pinion angle without removing the arms:

Front bracket which came out larger and uglier than planned, but should work fine:

Rear truss and mounts and sway bar in position. Note nothing is tightened down yet:

Tomorrow I'll need to clearance the skid plate, install the new tranny mount, torque everything, drill and tap the axle for the vent tube, and then I can tie up some odds and ends.

Tommy
Unread 05-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #108
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

A few friends came over to help me knock out some of the odds and ends tonight. I drilled and tapped the new axle vent, torqued down all the control arms, final painting (though I missed some spots), changed the diff fluid, trimmed the skid plate to clear the front brackets, and then also moved my front brake line brackets a little lower since the brake line was pretty much acting as a limiting strap up front.

Anyway, here's some pics:

This is under its own weight. I think I may end up building longer lower arms eventually. At full bump it's about a 1/4" from the gas tank (not like that will ever happen):

I still have to secure the brake lines:

Sitting on the ground again!

I stretched the wheelbase quite a bit more than it was, but unfortunately, the wheelbase was really short before so it only measures 94" right now. Doesn't make much sense to me because it actually looks streatched more than just a 1/2" more overall than stock. Ah well...

After I got it on the ground I noticed the axle was shifted to the passenger side by about an inch! I just got underneath and turned the upper control arms and easily shifted the axle over. Easy as pie!!

Then I took it for a test drive and it's great! It rides really smoothly, takes bumps great, and the "torque steer" from the Detroit is significantly reduced. So far I'm really, really pleased.

Tommy
Unread 05-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #109
RedMountainYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

poser pics? shakedown pics?

Awesome build!
Unread 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #110
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nope! It didn't get back onto all fours until 12:30 last night! I may get some RTI ramp pics at lunch, though...

Tommy
Unread 05-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #111
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

RTI pics! No, I didn't get a score. I didn't want to bother the guys any longer than necessary since they were busy.

No clearance issues anywhere other than tire to fender flare issues which I don't really care about.

Tommy
Unread 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #112
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

very nice man. Hows it ride?
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #113
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It rides great! Tracks straight, too!

Tommy
Unread 05-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #114
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Total material cost so far?
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #115
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think about $400 in bushings and Johnny Joints, the steel was free (otherwise maybe $200), and miscellaneous stuff/consumables, maybe another $100 or so. The number of man hours? Priceless.

By the way, I banged the ever lovin' hell out of it this past weekend at the Texas Twister and it did absolutely fantastic! I'll have plenty of pics later, but it got it up climbs I wouldn't have thought possible for a Jeep on 35's.

Tommy
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #116
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I wheeled the Jeep this past weekend and I couldn't be happier with the way it performed. Instead of all the anti-squat inducing hopping and such from my short arms, the new rear end just pushed the Jeep up and over obstacles. It was subjected to tons of hard hits, lots of rocks, and the most extreme terrain I've put my Jeep through yet. I should point out that a sway bar endlink bolt backed out while trailering it so I removed it and wheeled with no rear bar and the front bar disconnected.

Here's a few pics:

Here's a couple videos a friend took:

Unread 06-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #117
redjeepguy32

How do you like the Hobart 187? did it have enough power to do all your welding?
redjeepguy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #118
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeepguy32 View Post
How do you like the Hobart 187? did it have enough power to do all your welding?
It was great and had lots of power. Wish it were mine, but I've only got a 135 Lincoln.

Tommy
Unread 06-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #119
brooksjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is great man, good work definately a success. Thought about making long arms to sell? Or maybe the whole kit?
Unread 06-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #120
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lordy no! I'd be more than happy to lend a hand on someone else's rig (when I'm no longer burned out!), but I don't have the time or desire to make and sell them. I would merely suggest someone purchase the Clayton kit if the cash is there, otherwise if you'd like to save some money, do what I did. I won't lie. It was a lot of work and makes a heck of a mess in your garage.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments!

Tommy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.