Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #91
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did some prep work in the garage today. Starting the rear tomorrow it looks like....

Tommy

Unread 04-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #92
redjeepguy32

Another question for the front.
Is there a clearance issue with mounting the lower arms directly under the frame? I notice with your set-up and claytons kit the Lowers are mounted inside the frame slightly. I just though it might be stronger and easier to mount them directly underneith.
redjeepguy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #93
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The reason it's mounted there is to keep the rubber bushing from binding. The mounting location is perpendicular to the bolt that holds the bushing in. I could've used a Johnny Joint there instead, but I really don't think it would've gained me much. As it is right now, there's plenty of clearance even under full compression.

Tommy
Unread 04-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #94
RedMountainYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

any progress from this weekend?
Unread 04-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #95
Hydro
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome build, I've been checking it daily to see your progress.

I just bought 4-6" RK springs a Long Arm 3-link for the rear of my jeep, I was considering just making the front long arms to save a little money. I might use your topic as a guide.

Officially driving the Jason Ellis Bandwagon
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #96
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Today I finally started on the rear long arm build. All I did was minor stuff, really. I cut off the lower front mounts, removed the skid plate and marked it for cutting, mocked up the new lower arms, and took some measurements for the wheelbase and pinion angle. Lots more will be happening over the next week or so. Here's a couple pics...

Needs to finish grinding...

Tommy
Unread 05-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #97
Archi-jp

This thread is a HUGE help in building my LA's...the round tube you used for the bushing end of your lowers- what was the spec on them- o.d., thickness, & width? I'm debating about ardering these through Rubicon Express as an alternate...

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=A7B8E65663582
Archi-jp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #98
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered them through Rubicon Express.

Tommy
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #99
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did some work tonight finally. Been a long week unrelated to the Jeep. Got the panhard mount off the frame and axle, as well as got the upper arm mounts off the axle. God bless the plasma torch. Obvioulsy, I haven't finished the grinding, but that's time consuming so it'll have to wait 'til after next weekend's event.

Unread 05-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #100
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi-jp View Post
This thread is a HUGE help in building my LA's...the round tube you used for the bushing end of your lowers- what was the spec on them- o.d., thickness, & width? I'm debating about ardering these through Rubicon Express as an alternate...

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=A7B8E65663582
A 10 mm bolt has no place in a control arm IMO. If I were to use bushings I'd use a poly YJ main eye bushing in a piece of 2x.25" DOM. Probably cheaper too.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #101
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, I just checked that link. No, those are NOT the RE bushings/sleeves I bought. I'm using what are essentially OEM bushings at the lower axle end and the RE sleeves for them.

Tommy
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #102
desertcrawler86

How did you find the proper length of the arms coming form the axels to the frame? I want to do the same thing but I'm not sure what length the arms are suppose to be while keeping the correct geometry. I also don’t know what the pumpkin angle is suppose to be.
desertcrawler86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:26 AM   #103
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pumpkin angle should just be whatever it takes to get your caster right (front) or your pinion angle correct (rear). You just have to build the suspension around that. I'd just gotten my Jeep aligned before I started the front build so I took some caster angle measurements and just made sure I kept the axle at that angle while I fabbed.

There is no "correct" length for the arms. I just built the fronts as long as I could without hitting the skid plate, but the rear requires the skid plate be shortened since it goes so far rearward. I think my lower fronts are about 2" or so longer than my lower rears.

Tommy
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #104
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

LOTS of progress this weekend and I'm exhausted. Things went pretty slowly, but I began really making some progress today....until I realized I had an issue with the hardware on the front mount of the upper arms. I couldn't get the bolt out as it would hit the t-case. So I had to move the mount rearward and also shorten the upper arms. I still have several things tacked into place until final assembly. Anyway, here's some pics....

Driver side front bracket:

All links installed, brackets tacked into place, suspension at full bump:

Should I decide to use the upper mounting holes (and plan to jump my Jeep!) I'll need to relocate the e-brake cable mount:

Passenger side approaching full droop:

Driver side fully stuffed:

Truss removed for final welding:

Front brackets removed for final welding:

Oh yeah, the rear axle is nearly as far back as it can safely go. I've got not quite a 1/4" between the diff cover and the gas tank under compression. I can extend it a bit more if I want to push it.

I'm going to sleep....

Tommy
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #105
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

VERY NICE!! I wanna take on a project like this soon but the only thing stopping me is my Jeep is my DD and my only vehicle.
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.