Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #76
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good. I think you'll be fine with doing the rear, the rear is always easier to link than the front. What are your plans for that?

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #77
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks... I'll be building a triangulated 4 link for the rear. Parallel lowers and triangulated uppers with some adjustability for anti-squat.

Tommy
Unread 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #78
Joker1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome

Congrats on an insane build. It's a big under taking to try this yourself, looks like you did a great job. I am currently building adjustable control arms for my ZJ now but after reading your thread I am thinking about going ahead and tackling the long arm. I am using the same square inserts and had about the same idea on my adjustable short arms that you used on the long arms. I like you was going to run DOM until I saw that Claytons was using square tube. One question, can you give me the dimensions/specs on the steel you used for your long arms and your uppers. It looks like the LAs might 2 x2 x .25 but I wasn't sure. Can't wait to get your answer so I can start on my build.

Congrats Again.
Joker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #79
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am toying around with the idea of this.. honestly it seems pretty simple. I can make all the mounts and brackets myself, and the tubing would be super cheap or free for me. I can't weld worth two ****s, but I can learn at work, or get a buddy to do it at work for free.

I did read the whole thread but I might have missed it. What are you using for springs/shocks? What is the final length of your lowers in the front? My brother has a RELA 5.5, suppose I could just take measurements off that, but the links attach to the skid plate, not the frame rails.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #80
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, y'all. Well, the lower arms are made of 2x2x.25 square tubing. The uppers are 1.5x1.5x.125 square tubing. The plate I'm using for various mounts and brackets is .25" thick. The C channel for the chassis mount started as rectangular tubing, but I don't recall it's orig. dimensions. It's .25" thick, too, though.

I don't have measurements on their lengths yet, though. I'll see what I can do about that. The front uppers don't really matter much. Just build them so that there isn't any binding on the rubber bushing at the axle end and that their length won't interfere with anything like the frame rail or driveshaft. Oh, for the front bracket locations I can tell you that I made the brackets identical to one another and located each one 1/4" from the factory skid plate. I used a scrap piece of steel as a spacer. Worked great!

The project isn't necessarily what I'd call "hard", but it does take some fairly meticulous measurements and thought. For example, I did my best to keep the axle in a fixed position while I fabbed up the arms and such. Having just got an alignment I knew where I was coming from. So then I could keep that in mind as I built the arms and I could make sure I would have adjustment in the directions I wanted and to keep the alignment with plenty of adjustability. As it turns out, when I got it aligned all it needed to be within spec was a toe change, which I fully expected. I guess being anal about all this stuff paid off.

The springs are my orig. RE 4.5" springs and while I'm still running the wimpy Skyjacker hydraulic shocks up front, I've got some Rancho RS9000 adjustables to replace them. I already swapped the rears.

Hope this helps,
Tommy
Unread 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #81
Joker1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That surely helps me out thanks. I started laying mine out this weekend and will starting in a week or two. I hope to post some pics of my ZJ build-up as it goes thru this and other various changes.

Thanks Again,
Joker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #82
jecaper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The job looks fantastic! Nice work. I found this thread doing research on my own LA project for my LJ. Is there a reason that you didn't use the RE upper arms? I am thinking of the exact same setup, but using my RE uppers. I have the 4.5" Superflex kit now and figure they would work well in this application, kind of like the long arm upgrade.

Again, nice job and please keep us posted on further testing of the system.

Jim
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #83
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, the only reason I didn't use or cannibalize the RE uppers is because I wanted to be able to sell all my control arms when I'm done.

Tommy
Unread 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #84
omgsideburns

looks great man, i'm half tempted to start collecting parts to do this myself..
omgsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #85
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Hoping to start the triangulated rear late this week.
Unread 04-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #86
redjeepguy32

What rubber bushing are you using? looks like the factory one but im not for certain.
redjeepguy32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #87
RedMountainYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Insert welded into place. Notice the holes in the arms for plug welds:
How large are the holes for the plug welds?
Unread 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #88
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, OEM rubber bushings. One day maybe I'll put Johnny Joints on the arms to replace them, but there's not much need.

The holes for the plug welds were 1/2", I believe. Twice the thickness of the material. It doesn't look it, though.

Tommy
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #89
Luke4554
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bought my bushings already .. im not sure if i want to do round or square tubing on mine. But ill be going through the undertaking within the next year probably depending on when im willing to have the jeep down for the count for a few weeks.

Looks good..

Luke
4.0L | 5spd | 4" SkyJacker | Soft 8's | 33" TRXUS | 30/35 | AA SYE/CV DS | SuperWinch | 4 KC's | Pure Bred Tube Fenders | EMPI Buckets | Novak Linkage| Pure Bred Bumpers | Bestop Tinted Soft Top & Bikini | HiLift | Yellow Top | Herculiner | JKS Discos | Skid Row Steering Skid

[b]Owner of [U]WWAutosports[/U] & [U]Pure Bred Fabrications[/U] Dayton, Oh[/b][/SIZE]
Luke4554 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #90
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

tommy have you started the rear yet?
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.