Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #46
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Made some progress tonight. So I decided to make new front lowers because the originals weren't providing enough thread engagement with the elongated front wheelbase. Here's the new arms installed at the same length the original ones were set at. I estimate the wheelbase now to be approximately 1.5" longer than it was.

I'll use the original front lowers for the rear lowers. That'll be in a couple weeks.

I also welded the brackets to the frame rails. Not entirely, because I want a second person around to hold the exhaust out of the way while I weld inside the rails, but it's coming along nicely. I started with tight welds and made 2-3 passes so far:

The second issue I've come across is this... The sway bar and bracket contact the drag link ball joint when turning to full lock. I tried using a sleeve of tubing to raise the pin out of the way and it worked, but it just revealed the ball joint/bracket issues. I'll hack the OEM bracket and make something that'll provide more clearance.

Believe it or not, the bolt head doesn't contact the ball joint, but it's way too close. But, the axle is lacking some caster at the moment so when leaned back it may be a non-issue:

Tommy

Unread 03-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #47
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can grind that bolt head down a little.. I did. We don't live in the rust belt and if you can't get it off, you can always grind it the rest of the way off.

Dude, your junk is lookin' HAWT. Good work man.
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #48
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure how I feel about a guy telling me my junk is hot, but I'm flattered just the same.

Yeah, I'll grind that bolt head, if necessary. The big(ger) concern is the ball joint clearance, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for compliments, Lance! And thanks for letting me check out your rig when I was in town. Let me know when you get up to Austin!

Tommy
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #49
WingnuTJ

Great write up!
Just a concern that was mentioned before.... Where you arm attaches to the frame I see a Zerk fitting just begg'n to get ripped off. Just my opinion! That would bother me and just incase
"I'm We Todd did"
Either way love the write up, like I mentinoed before! keep up the pic's and posts!
Unread 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #50
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

JJ's are greaseable through the bolt as well.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #51
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, thanks for the comment, but before I do final installation I'll rotate the joints 1/2 a revolution to get the zerks up top.

Tommy
Unread 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #52
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

you can also get flush grease fittings.

go to www.mcmaster.com and type in " Flush-Style Grease Fittings"

I'm going to go with those eventually. I think i've broken around 4 or 5 grease fittings off so far with my clayton system.
for example
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #53
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dangit. I would've had all the welding done tonight, but I ran through the spool of wire before I finished. Ugh! Anyway, so tonight I made the upper arms, finished welding the brackets to the frame, and got everything tacked together. Here's some pics....

And removed ready for final welding:

Tomorrow I finish welding and start painting and clearance the ball joint/sway bar bracket. Friday I reassemble. Saturday I take it to get aligned. I can't wait!

Tommy
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #54
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Nice work. Keep it up. Too many threads started around here and then forgotten, so keep us informed about this build. You're making me itchy for a long arm build of my own.
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #55
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! It's been fun, but tiring and a lot of work since I only have maybe 3/4 of the tools I'd like and my garage is way too small.....but whose isn't, right?

Tommy
Unread 03-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #56
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Are you planning on butt welded those nuts to the tube for your uppers?
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #57
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, just butt welded. A sleeve like I used for the lowers would've been nice, but wasn't available. At least the uppers aren't subjected to the same stresses and loads as the bottoms so I'm confident it'll hold up fine.

Tommy
Unread 03-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #58
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Yup, just butt welded. A sleeve like I used for the lowers would've been nice, but wasn't available. At least the uppers aren't subjected to the same stresses and loads as the bottoms so I'm confident it'll hold up fine.

Tommy
I am sure it will hold up fine since Geauxturbo's is but I would say that the uppers are under just as much stress, if not more than the lowers, just not impact loads.

They do make round inserts in the size you would need for the uppers. I used round inserts on all of my arms since square inserts were not available. I am running a different suspension setup than you front and rear and I am running 2"x.25" tubing for my uppers and lowers so I could use the same inserts on everything.
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #59
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the uppers will be under compression and tension, but not subjected to the bending forces the lowers will see when I'm resting on rocks and such. I would've liked inserts, nonetheless, but I couldn't find any in the size I was using. I made a ton of progress tonight, but smugmug appears to be down right now so I can't access the pics I just uploaded and post them here yet. Yeesh!

Tommy
Unread 03-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #60
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got the arms all welded up tonight and primed and applied a quick coat of satin black. It could use a better paint job, but I don't really care about that right now.

Tomorrow after work I hope to get things wrapped up.

Tommy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.