Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #286
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Back from the dead!

So I decided I wanted to convert the front suspension from a radius arm to a true 3 link setup. I started looking into building a new upper link, front truss, etc. and it turns out it wasn't much more money to just go ahead and buy the Clayton 3 link conversion. So that's what I did. A cop out? The easy way out? Perhaps. But my time has been very limited lately with the new job so it was the right decision for me. The radius arm setup has worked fantastic for the last 5 years, but I just felt like trying something different. I guess I got bored.

Anyway, I'll only post a couple pics of the Clayton stuff since I didn't build it...though I did do the install, of course. You'll also notice that I took the opportunity to weld in the Clayton HD track bar setup and the Currie steering with the Savvy tie rod. Here ya go.

I plan to sell my radius arms so that means I need to build new lowers. I was very happy with the length of my previous arms so I wanted to make sure I kept the same length.

Ready to be welded and painted (tomorrow).

And drilled for plug welds again. Maybe overkill, but I'm okay with that.

I'll post up more pics after I get some more work done...

And if anyone in Texas is heading to Katemcy at the end of the month, hit me up!

Unread 02-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #287
qwest4air

Sweet
qwest4air is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #288
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good!

I run a Clayton 3 link, it works well.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #289
lpukas2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How come you decided on a radius set up instead of a three link? Curious as I am looking to do my own long arms.
lpukas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #290
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpukas2 View Post
How come you decided on a radius set up instead of a three link? Curious as I am looking to do my own long arms.
In my case, I just wanted to eliminate any rubber bushings. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a radius arm setup and mine has served me extremely well. But I'd been suffering from sporadic, minor death wobble and I wanted to eliminate any rubber. As it turns out, I think it was related to my track bar and/or tie rods, not the rubber in the radius arms. But that's okay. The new suspension is working great, although it doesn't have the same amount of flex up front. That's due to the front Anti-Rock sway bar, though.
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #291
adajeepin
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've tried to find it throughout the thread and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, how thick walled is your square link tubing?
adajeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #292
curtisberens
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking stuff
curtisberens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #293
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adajeepin View Post
I've tried to find it throughout the thread and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, how thick walled is your square link tubing?
Sorry, just saw this. For some reason JF stopped sending me reply notifications even though I've been posting lately.

The square tubing of the lowers is 1/4" thick. I think the uppers in the rear are thinner wall, maybe 3/16"? I really don't recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisberens View Post
Nice looking stuff
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.