Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 03-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Lackluster progress today. Spent nearly the ENTIRE day just running around chasing parts and crap.

Here's the driver's side chassis bracket taking shape along with the beginnings of one of the semicircular cut-outs for the control arm:

Front lower bracket cut off and lower control arm installed (along with rubber bushing):

Approximate location of lower control arm:

Tomorrow should be a much more productive day.... I hope.

Tommy

Unread 03-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #17
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
However, it's much weaker against torsional forces, which are what controls arms most frequently encounter.

I have no idea what Claton's warranty is, but my round Rock Krawler arms come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty.
Thats why I included a quote of it from their site along with linking it

I am really liking your build Tommy, and being able to see the pics at work is a big plus.

Question for anyone, how necessary is it to use a jam nut when you have a bushing on one end and a JJ on the other? I mean its not going to back out unless its not connected to the frame or axle, and at that point you probably have bigger problems. I would also think the connection would be stronger if you had the threads down another 1" in the tube adapter instead of having the nut, if the shank will go that much further down.

What are your plans for the rear? Triangulated or normal 4 link like the stock setup?

Also what are you using for springs, your RE 4.5"s?
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #18
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

scotch,

You definitely want to use a jam nut in this application. True, the joint can't back out on it's own, however there is still just ever so little play in the threads and over time the bolt and "nut" threads will wear on one another due to this movement. Eventually, both would need to be replaced. The jam nut will prevent this movement by keeping everything nice and tight.

Oh yeah, one other thing.... The insert is only threaded about 2.5" or so. So while the Johnny Joint may not looked threaded in all the way, it is. So there's plenty of reserve thread for the jam nut, plus I'll have plenty of thread left to stretch my wheelbase an inch or two overall.

Tommy
Unread 03-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I made some more progress today until my chop saw blade lost a chunk. D'oh! Here's some pics...

On the left: Cut out with a sawzall (straights) and a cut off wheel (curve).
On the right: The plasma cutter I never could get to work right. Any suggestions on what's wrong to generate that much splatter?

Driver's side chassis mount coming together:

And now with a bolt!!

The angle is cut so that face will be flush to the side of the frame rail. I'll get a better pic of that later:

Some of the chamfering for the bracket. I did both inside and outside of the vertical bracket:

Here's where I need some welding help. I now am using the larger Hobart 185 amp welder with Ar/CO2. I set the speed and voltage to their recommendations for 1/4" steel, but two things are wrong. 1) There's a TON of splatter. 2) I have to move the torch faster than I'd like because the puddle of weld seems to accumulate too quickly. So I started doing smaller C's when laying down the bead along with moving quicker. I think they look okay, but I was getting nicer welds with my dinky 135 amp MIG. Is my wire speed too high or how? What about the voltage? Maybe more or less gas?

I think the pics make the welds look a little worse than they really appear, but the splatter is pretty accurately depicted. Thoughts?

Tommy
Unread 03-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #20
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am not very familiar with mig since all I have is a stick welder but it looks like you could turn the heat up on the gun to lay your bead down a little better since it looks like it is crowning.
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #21
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The guidelines on the welder are just a starting point. You will need to adjust it on some scrap to get it just right. It looks like you can turn the heat up slightly and the wire speed down slightly. This will allow you to slow the puddle down and get more penatration. Go to the welding store and pick up some anti spatter spray, it works. I find that when my wire spool gets dirty it starts to spatter.

As for your plasma, it could be a number of things. Does it have a fresh consumable? Are you getting a good ground? High enough amerage? A 110v compressor really isn't strong enough to cut 1/4" so you need to take your time.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I found out the welder was wired for flux core which is apparently a reversed polarity from solid core. I swapped it and things improved a good bit. I feel better about it now.

I don't know anything about the plasma, unfortunately. I will say that the next time I tried it (to cut off my OEM brackets) it worked much better possibly because I really put some effort into getting it a good ground. The compressor is a 60 gallon/6 hp setup and it's 220V, but I can only have one 220V item on at a time. Fortunately, the compressor had plenty of air capacity for the plasma cutter. I think now I may be done with the plasma, though. I just don't see the benefit from it over the tools I already have unless I can easily and quickly discover why it doesn't cut as cleanly as I'd prefer.

I took some more pics today. I'll get them uploaded and posted here in a bit...

Tommy
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #23
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

More progress....

Looking down the driver's side arm toward the chassis mount. You can see why there was an angle cut on the mount because of the bend in the frame rail:

Mocking up the control arm and chassis mount on the driver's side while the passenger side is still untouched with the Rubicon Express (short) control arms:

BTW, those are Centramatic wheel balancers shown on the hub in the above pic.

Driver's side mount tacked into place:

And passenger side also tacked into place:

I may be taking the day off tomorrow to enjoy some Austin fun, but I'll be back working on it soon enough. Next up is to remove the exhaust and driveshaft to finish welding up the mounts and then I need to make the upper control arms and brackets.

Tommy
Unread 03-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #24
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great. Where did you get those inserts? I like them.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #25
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 View Post
Looks great. Where did you get those inserts? I like them.
See post #13.

Tommy
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #26
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got a fair amount done today, but very little visible. I removed the skidplate to provide access to welding the mounts to the frame rails. I dropped the driveshaft and exhaust for this same reason. I then installed the lower arms and set the wheelbase approximately 1.5"-2" longer than it was. I also removed the Rubicon Express upper arms and finalized how I'm going to build the upper parts of the radius arms. I should all be tacked together later tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, here's a pic as it sits right now:

BTW, here's a direct link to all my pics so far:
http://tommyr.smugmug.com/gallery/45...Wpwa#265298122

Tommy
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #27
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

are you going to fab up new upper arms or use the RE uppers as a radius style?
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #28
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'll make my own uppers. I don't have an oxy/acetylene rig so I'm hoping to head to a friend's place tomorrow evening to bend up some brackets.

Tommy
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #29
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you planned on stretching it the 1.5 - 2" in the front, why didn't you build your arms for that length so you would haven't to have so much thread showing on your johnny joints? That is going to be the weak point on your arms and usually the rocks like to hit in that location.
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #30
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, here's the deal about that. I stupidly forgot to measure my wheelbase before I started. I built the arms so that theoretically I could shorten them from "stock" about a 1/4", but lengthen them as far as I dared....which should be upwards of 1.5"-2". What I found out later on is that my wheelbase was apparently quite a bit shorter than the stock 93.5" wheelbase. :\ I'm assuming this was due to the short arms and relatively tall amount of lift.

So I had a decision to make.....

1) Do I move my mounts farther forward? No, because if I build different arms in the future, I'd be limiting myself on their ultimate length potential with the mounts farther forward. So I decided to keep the mounts as they were, i.e. as far rearward as I could get them without hitting the skidplate.

2) Do I just lengthen the arms? This was what I decided to do. I've still got just over an inch of thread engagement into the insert, plus I have another inch of engagement on the jam nut to help distribute the bending loads on the joint. Best as I can tell this is similar to the amount of thread engagement on the Clayton arms.

3) What about the future? If I decide to lengthen the wheelbase any farther I'll just build new lowers. It wouldn't cost much money, it would really just be some labor. But we'll see if I decide to do that or not down the road.

So for now I think this setup will work. If I get too paranoid, I'll thread in the joints another 1/2" or so, but I don't think it'll be necessary. This is primarily what I wrestled with pretty much all day yesterday......literally sometimes.

Tommy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.