Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #271
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I planned on hitting K2 the first weekend in March but my wheeling buddy couldn't get off work. Been trying to get to Moab for years but something always comes up, maybe next year. I am trying for Trees in late March and whatever else I can make after that. Hot Springs, Clayton, K2, Hidden Falls are all on my list depending on my schedule of course.

Jeepinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #272
yjwrongler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

where did you buy your link ends, bushings and square weld in bungs ?
yjwrongler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #273
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrongler View Post
where did you buy your link ends, bushings and square weld in bungs ?
Not sure where he got his from but you can buy the link ends and bushings from just about anywhere, clayton Offroad, KORE, poly performance are the ones I would recommend. The square tube bungs can be bought from Clayton or Ballistic Fab if you want to take a chance that their "restructuring" did any good at making their service not suck. You can even make your own with the right size nut and a little grinding although the actual ones made for joints are better IMO.

Edit: by making your own I mean like this dude did, although please don't use these frame brackets

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/t...build-1027918/
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #274
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yep. And pretty much all of that stuff is already listed here in this thread 'cause it's been asked before.
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #275
yjwrongler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've been looking through threads for the past week on making my own long arm kit and I've come to the point where I just look at the pictures to see if it looks like it's worth reading about, pictures first, words later....... and this thread has a lot of pictures lol
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #276
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrongler View Post
I've been looking through threads for the past week on making my own long arm kit and I've come to the point where I just look at the pictures to see if it looks like it's worth reading about, pictures first, words later....... and this thread has a lot of pictures lol
No worries! There's a ton of info. in here for sure, but because I still get loads of e-mails and PMs about it, I simply can't take all the time to sift through to find all the specific answers.

But if you do have any questions that haven't been answered in the thread, by all means post it!
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #277
yjwrongler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

will do
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #278
97flexy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Yep. And pretty much all of that stuff is already listed here in this thread 'cause it's been asked before.
I saw your post about the company that sells those sweet square tube inserts, but the link doesn't work do you know if any one else sells those tube inserts I really don't want to make my own.
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #279
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
I saw your post about the company that sells those sweet square tube inserts, but the link doesn't work do you know if any one else sells those tube inserts I really don't want to make my own.
The company is (was?) 4WD Factory. Not sure if they went under or what, but I've heard other companies like Blue Torch or Ballsitic are now making them. I'd check with them first.
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #280
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Clayton also carries them, ballistic fab had really nice onesat one time but they are going through a restructuring which I hope works because their service before was beyond horrid.
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #281
97flexy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah I've found other tube inserts like AtoZfab.com has them too, but if its was possible I like to idea of the square insert into the square tube.
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #282
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
yeah I've found other tube inserts like AtoZfab.com has them too, but if its was possible I like to idea of the square insert into the square tube.
There isn't any issue with the round peg in a square hole with the liquid wrench, you will still be welding it completely around it.

There is also no wiggling around of the tube insert in the square hole.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #283
97flexy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
There isn't any issue with the round peg in a square hole with the liquid wrench, you will still be welding it completely around it.

There is also no wiggling around of the tube insert in the square hole.
thanks, I'm going to go with square lower tubes and Ballistic joints, I'm just try'n to decide if I want to go with 1/4" wall or 1/8" wall. Either wall thickness I go with I was thinking of welding a solid sq rod inside my lower arm. Has anyone done this for added strength? For example: If i use a lower arm that is 1-1/2" SQ {A} x 1.260" ID {B} x .120" Wall and I weld in a 1.25" solid rod into the center of the sq tube with ends at each end, wouldn't that be stronger than 1/4" tube?
Unread 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #284
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes if you were to weld it the entire length or stitch weld, it would resist bending a whole lot....I do not have numbers or anything but anytime you glue, weld or rivet two pieces or metal together they become extremely stiff.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #285
97flexy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Yes if you were to weld it the entire length or stitch weld, it would resist bending a whole lot....I do not have numbers or anything but anytime you glue, weld or rivet two pieces or metal together they become extremely stiff.
okay I might just go with 1/8th wall I was thinking of plug welding the inner sq stock to the outter tube... maybe 2 plug welds per side totalling 8 plug welds per link not including the ends. My buddy said he'd weld it up for super cheap as 1/4" wall and 1.5" solid stock... I'l have to ask him if it'll be cheaper to weld 1/8" and 1.25" stock, if not I may just go with 1/4" tube.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.