Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 08-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #256
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

they will be in my punisher build thread in 4-5 hrs

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #257
jpony645
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to add something I found today for anyone looking to do this project. I bought the 1.5" square tube inserts from Ballistic Fab ($17/each at the time but they've gone up) because they were the only ones I could find for square tube. Also could never find any for the 1"id tube. Well today i'm looking around and Clayton has some. I can't remember if I searched them specifically the first time or not but today I found the inserts. They aren't exactly the same as the Ballistic ones but since Clayton is the mainstay for square tube long arms I figure these will work just fine.

$8.00/each for the 1" and $10/each for the 1.5"

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...s_id/263{23}94
jpony645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #258
cotoole
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what was the effect of stretching your wheelbase out? is there any effect on your driveshafts with the longer base?
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:55 AM   #259
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

BEST BUILD THREAD THUS FAR.....I was talking about LA's today and said I refuse to pay 2k for a LA kit and came across this. Thank you sir! YOU ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR! I shall get on this TOMORROW with parts!
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #260
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotoole View Post
what was the effect of stretching your wheelbase out? is there any effect on your driveshafts with the longer base?
It helps with approach/departure angles. I stretched the wheelbase so little it wasn't an issue. In reality, the wheelbase it only about 1.5" longer than stock...if that. However, I may put some shorter springs on in the future and that will stretch the wheelbase a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOE1914 View Post
BEST BUILD THREAD THUS FAR.....I was talking about LA's today and said I refuse to pay 2k for a LA kit and came across this. Thank you sir! YOU ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR! I shall get on this TOMORROW with parts!
Thanks a lot! Happy to help!
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #261
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

with the jj and oem bushings and link stock how much did you end up spending to do the front and rear. can you estimate costs if you got any scrap for free?
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #262
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyhasadd2 View Post
with the jj and oem bushings and link stock how much did you end up spending to do the front and rear. can you estimate costs if you got any scrap for free?
I covered this in post #75.
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #263
tmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
It definitely rides better than with the short arms. No comparison. But I'm running both radius arms up front now for two reasons. 1) I didn't see any improvement in offroad performance with just one and 2) I felt more comfortable with two uppers in place in case any bolts accidentally backed out or sheared. But otherwise, the single radius arm setup worked fine. If/when I re-do the front axle I'll build a single upper link and sell these radius arms.

Ideally, I'd run JJ's at the axle and chassis ends, but it's too much money and I don't know if it's necessary. It flexes more than my shocks can handle as it is.

Tommy
I am doing this build now and am planning on running both upper arm for the front radius arms but I plan to mill the passenger side arm hole to a slot so it can move some but still hold in the event that a bolt breaks on the driver side. I plan to drill the bolt for a key so the bolt can be ran just snugged. When flexed it will be able to move some an help the binding.
tmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #264
jpony645
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does it make any difference whether you run the rubber joint on the frame or axle end of the arm?
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #265
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpony645 View Post
Does it make any difference whether you run the rubber joint on the frame or axle end of the arm?
Yes, it does matter. Well, assuming you're talking about the front radius arms. The axle needs to be allowed to "twist" during articulation, which means there needs to be rubber above and below the axle housing. If you run only one radius arm, you can run solid joints throughout with no rubber.
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #266
jpony645
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, it does matter. Well, assuming you're talking about the front radius arms. The axle needs to be allowed to "twist" during articulation, which means there needs to be rubber above and below the axle housing. If you run only one radius arm, you can run solid joints throughout with no rubber.

I went back and looked at your pictures and also those from Clayton and see the rubber bushing on the axle side in both now. For some reason I had it in my head that having the joint on the axle would let it "twist" more but I see now that wouldn't work so well with the rubber bushings still in the upper mounts.
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #267
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow this thread is still going. This and Tweebas build convinced me to build my own long arm stretch. Thanks
Jeepinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #268
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinty View Post
Wow this thread is still going. This and Tweebas build convinced me to build my own long arm stretch. Thanks
LOL, yeah, it's been hanging in there for quite a while now. I guess that's a good thing! Glad we were able to convince you to do your project!
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #269
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LOL, yeah, it's been hanging in there for quite a while now. I guess that's a good thing! Glad we were able to convince you to do your project!
You going to wheel Trees this year? The March run will probably be the shakedown for mine.
Jeepinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #270
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe! I'm heading to Katemcy 2 on the weekend of 2/18. Not sure what my plans are otherwise....though I hope to make it to Moab again if I can swing it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.