Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 07-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #241
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey thanks a lot..i guess what im trying to ask is in this pic of the core bracket
Universal 4 Link Bracket Kit

this bracket sets the rear lower on the inside a lil bit and a slight angle..seems like its a good ldea but im up and down about it lol..and if i put my brackets on a mount that wraps the frame i could even lift them up a extra inch for better clearance..i think a lot of kits put them up higher also for a smooth transision to the belly pan..
i only have a 4 inch lift and guess im just worried the arms will hit the frame with the brackets "almost"in line like yours..
i probally worry to much,haha
i do good work but always doubt myself"old habits"..thankfully some of us just need to see others work to get that lil push we sometimes need..

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #242
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok maybe this makes more sense..this is high clearanced looking to me,but on the inside a lil and angled a lil..
this is what i was gonna do but dont want to mess up..every nice bracket set i see for high dollar are just like this..i can do this easy if its better than just under the frame..
i still have 2-3 weeks before i get this done on the front..in my mind it seems the front would be fine like this also..more clearance.
opinions please
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...6-01-D-200.jpg

Unread 07-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #243
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I understand now what you're after. I don't see any reason it wouldn't physically work, but you'll need joints at the axle end, not just bushings. What would concern me more is that your forward mounts for both the uppers and lowers will be higher and your geometry (particularly anti-squat) could get thrown off. Personally, I would go the conservative route that's proven unless you plug ALL the numbers into a calculator beforehand. It might work out great, but I wouldn't chance it without running the numbers.

In all honesty, though, that second pic doesn't look much more high clearance than my setup. Maybe an inch or so? I could work, just not sure if it's worth the hassle when it's so easy to mount the brackets directly under the axle.
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #244
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks..that inch was what i wanted..i will go under the frame im sure..i was just wanting the most clearance i could get and not waste my hard work on the belly up i made..oh well,i got 3/8 plate for the rest of the mounts,i could always just drag it thru the rock like we all do anyway lol..sorry to keep asking so much but your the one that did push me into this
thanks for being a pusher for sure..im tired of the back pain on s arms..

Unread 07-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #245
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

LOL, no problem, man. Keep the questions coming.
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #246
jpony645
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tommy, do you know on the lower control arm brackets if they are perpendicular to the axle or if they are angled slightly? I've bent the crap out of mine and am going to replace them but need to find out if they're angled before I order new brackets.
jpony645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #247
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are you referring to the front or rear? I assume the chassis side brackets? I guess it doesn't really matter, actually. The control arms (front and rear) are inline with the original axle brackets. So they are basically inline with the original control arms, if that makes sense.
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #248
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im curious too about what he said but dont think it matters due to all the room there will be for the joint to move around.
this is a couple pics after mocking it up on the frame inline w/the frame and square to the axle,,after removing it all you can see the angle of the joint and tube being off a lil where i took the pic..
i think i will stay like this since when the axle drops down the joint will be shooting back to the inside of the bracket the oppisite of the angle in the pic"at least it sounds good to me hopefully,haha

[IMG][/IMG]

if it wasnt for your inspiration tommy,like many others,i wouldnt have jumped into this..even tho ive been a fabricator for 25 yrs..thanks again you pusher

Unread 07-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #249
jpony645
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was actually asking about the brackets on the axle side but I found my answer. They're 5 degrees offset. I bent the crap out of mine and wanted to go ahead and order some HD ones but needed the offset before I could.
jpony645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #250
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info and this thread tommy my front has been done for a week now and seems to be doing fine..im gonna weld the axle tubes today just in case something wants to move lol..now ive got to get the d.shaft made a lil longer..i did exactly what you did and wish i would have made them a inch longer lol..live and learn the hard way right,haha

Unread 08-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #251
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats!! It's a good feeling, isn't it? You can always cut/sleeve/extend your arms to get a little more length if need be.
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #252
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks,a good guy here on the forum gave me the idea to use them on the rear and make new fronts
have a great weekend

Unread 08-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #253
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

LOL! Sounds like that dude's a genius. I'd listen to him! So have you decided when you're going to tackle the rear end?
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #254
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

its so frickin hot hear in fla i was soaked at 6 am this morning lol..im gonna wait till some cooler wheather gets hear to triangulate the rear i think..
makeing axle skids and welding the tubes in a few minutes.
i need a desk job in some a/c lol,getting old aint for sissys,haha

Unread 08-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #255
Tommy R
Geaux Tigers!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dude, I hear ya! Texas isn't exactly "cool" this time of year. If you document the skid plate builds, post up the link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.