Long Arm Build for a TJ - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Long Arm Build for a TJ

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #151
dickensheets

Wow nice job! You have inspired me.

What are the correct names of the hardware at each of the ends of the arm? I would not know what to order right now.

Thanks Ryan

Unread 11-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #152
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! On one end are OEM bushings/sleeves and on the other end are Currie Johnny Joints. I used the 2.5" size, but the thread size differed from the uppers to the lowers. I think I listed the thread size early on in the thread, but I could be wrong.

Tommy
Unread 11-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #153
dickensheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Thanks! On one end are OEM bushings/sleeves and on the other end are Currie Johnny Joints. I used the 2.5" size, but the thread size differed from the uppers to the lowers. I think I listed the thread size early on in the thread, but I could be wrong.

Tommy
Thanks Tommy
Unread 11-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #154
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Did you have to modify the exhaust to clear the upper arms in the rear?
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #155
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sure did. I lopped it off along with the muffler and welded in a turndown. I plan on putting in some sort of muffler, though. It's a little loud and raspy sounding for my taste.

Tommy
Unread 11-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #156
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

please update with pics when you get it installed
Unread 11-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #157
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

im thinking of building my own long arm but figure it will save ALOT of time just buying the frame brackets and building the arms. Its buying the brackets and building the arms pretty much idiot proof?
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #158
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
im thinking of building my own long arm but figure it will save ALOT of time just buying the frame brackets and building the arms. Its buying the brackets and building the arms pretty much idiot proof?
not really ... you still need to run the numbers in a 4 link calculator and see what kind of roll centers, squat, anti-squat numbers you will be getting ... especially if the rig is going to be driven on the street.

plenty of people grab the materials and start welding ... but to do it properly with predictable road manners, you want to run the numbers.

symmetry is the biggest thing. if the arms are slightly different lengths, or the mounts are welded in slightly different locations .... the vehicle will behave very badly under many circumstances (steering, hard throttle, and the worst is hard braking). the angles, lengths, and mounting locations need to be symmetrical .. as close as humanly possible anyway.
j0nesy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #159
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yup. The fabrication part was actually the easiest.....by far. The hardest part for me was determining precisely where things would mount, determining the lengths I needed, and making sure everything was equal, square, etc. I was really determined have a wheelbase/track that was square and that kind of thing just takes time....and confidence that you're about to weld in the right location.

Tommy
Unread 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #160
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

so if I am to understand this set-up correctly, on the upper rear mounts, placing the bolts lower in the mount would increase anti-squat and higher would reduce it? or do I have it backwards? I have been reading up on the subject of 4 links all day and I am starting to get the grasp of why things need to be a certain way
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #161
Tommy R
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Essentially, yes, that's correct. There's obviously a lot to the process of determining locations for desired anti-squat numbers. For me, I didn't run it though a calculator (yet). I merely wimped out and used approximate locations based on what other successful long arm builds have used (either homemade or store bought).

Tommy
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #162
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Approximately how far above and below axle center line were your mounts?
Unread 02-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #163
spencerd76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OEM Bushing sleeves

Hey, congrats on all your hard work! I was looking at the bushing sleeves on the RE site, did you use the large or small ones?
spencerd76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #164
97TJGUZZY
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerd76 View Post
Hey, congrats on all your hard work! I was looking at the bushing sleeves on the RE site, did you use the large or small ones?

large ones, by the way you can get them from alot of the RE vendors for about $4-5 a piece.
Unread 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #165
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJGUZZY View Post
is there a secret to getting the stock rubber bushings in the RE cans?

I cant for the life of me get mine to fit. You do leve the metal can on the bushing right?

Do I need to grind the can on the bushing a bit? I have tried using a vise and then a hammer and tubing...got it this far...

I know this is an old post and I hate to hijack but this is for anyone in the future who runs into this.

We just built some short arms and used these exact bushings and sleeves. We initially tried setting a plate on top of the bushing (that was sitting on the sleeve) and pressing it in that way but it wouldn't go in. Then a buddy suggested we try a large socket (I think we ended up using a short piece of tube?) to press on the bushing sleeve only (the metal sleeve around the rubber bushing) and it went in like butter! I don't know what the deal was and the only thing we could think of is when using a flat plate it was compressing the rubber so much that the metal around it couldn't compress and fit into the sleeve. I was using a HF 20ton press but using this method you could easily get those bushings in with a small vise.

EDIT: Great build by the way! I've been watching it for a while.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.