Loncoln pro mig 180 vs 180HD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Loncoln pro mig 180 vs 180HD

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Loncoln pro mig 180 vs 180HD

Well I have a little of tax return money burning a hole in my pocket, so I have come to get some of your expert advice. I have been looking around at lincoln welders ( in my price range). It will be used for welding up my roll cage and installing my ford 8.8 and front d44.Is there any difference between the Pro Mig 180 at Lowes and the 180HD at Home Depot. they are both the exact same price so which one should I get?

skyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

look them up on the Lincoln web site to see the differences!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thye are both the same exact machine..i have the Pro-Mig..great machine

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
Thye are both the same exact machine..i have the Pro-Mig..great machine
Great that is what I bought. Just got home with it.
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

forumrunner_20120211_161609.jpg

Can't wait to use it just got to run the wire and plug, and install a 50 amp breaker.
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
lpukas2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

They are both the same machine, but beware. The Lincolns sold at the big box stores have more plastic parts in them then the ones you get at a welding shop. That's why they are cheaper. I ended up getting a used 180C and love it.
lpukas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I don't know..

I emailed Lincoln a few years ago to ask them about the differences. The reply I received said that all of the welders (of a particular amperage class) were the same.. only difference was in the name. Said there was no other difference between the Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, or Welding Store versions.. same welder.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I don't know..

I emailed Lincoln a few years ago to ask them about the differences. The reply I received said that all of the welders (of a particular amperage class) were the same.. only difference was in the name. Said there was no other difference between the Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, or Welding Store versions.. same welder.
Ironworker and I had a friendly discussion about 4 or so weeks back about this, the're "not" the same machines as sold at welding supplies ( I know for a fact that). He contacted Lincoln and they confirmed it also.

Is this a good starter welder? ( 1 2 3)
GraemeZJ 1/6/12
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have the 180 HD and love it, lays down some great beads both work great for what you will use it for.
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The ONLY difference from the ones at welding supply stores and the franchise stores is the franchise stores are only the "tapped version",which means the amperage settings are in steps and not continious like a volume knob..AND..the drive mechanism that the feed wheels go onto are plastic and not cast aluminum..that its the 2 ONLY differences............i have the ProMig 180 and have used the 180C and see no difference in performance and quality what so ever....

So..all in all..being those are the ONLY differences....i see no issues saying one is better than the other,other than the drive is plastic and even that has never been an issue to date as the rep even mentioned in the email...so all the myths and internet crap about them being a much lower quality machine is all Bull.........

Post Number 27......

Is this a good starter welder? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Oops.. I neglected to differentiate between the tap versions and the infinite settting versions..

I was referring to the tap versions in a particular amperage class.. I should've been more specific..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.