lincoln weld pac 125 welder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > lincoln weld pac 125 welder?

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Brown6041
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lincoln weld pac 125 welder?

anyone ever used this. Is it worth getting to do small projects, tabs stuff like that.

Brown6041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Lincoln 140C, and its fine for up to 1/4" for 1/4" you need do do some prep for proper penetration (bevel and preheat). A 125 wire feed would be lower than I would want. I don't know how much money your looking at spending, but a new 140 is in the ~500 range, and used 140's and some 180's (lincoln, hobart and miller) can be found on craigslist most places for 300 or less, often with a cart, tank and wire.

So unless the 125 is a steal I would shoot for atleast a 140. And a good used welder should last a long time and be fine, so long as there was nothing wrong with it.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I owned a 125 I got a home depot for 420. I welded a cj / yj warn front bumper to my tj, worked well. Later returned it to get a larger model. Got a 140 (has gas regulator) from ebay for 420 shipped. Not a pro tool, but works well for garage stuff, I plan on making some rock rails and custom bumpers soon.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i too have a 140 and sometimes wish i went bigger.

you say you only want to do small tabs but once you start fabbing you're going to want to do more. i often work with 3/16" and 1/4". a 125 just wont cut it

-chris

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the other posters...with a Jeep you'll outgrow the 125 quickly. I just bit the bullet and bought a 180...and glad I did. It might hurt a little initially but it'll hurt more once you sell the smaller unit, lose money and have to now buy what you really wanted in the first place. I fabed a plow frame using 3/8" and had no problems what so ever! It's already paid for itself.
glenn-91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Here’s another vote for a larger amp welder. If you start fabricating you will eventually wish you had a more powerful welder.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I started with the Weld-Pak 100 in the late '80s and last year I finally moved up to a Millermatic 211. the old Weld-Pak lasted me great all these years, but the MM211 really is much better. it has a real sizzle when burning wire, nice solid crackle and great penetration. (that's what she said)
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
cummins5552
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Save your money and buy a bigger machine,small welders are a waste of money
cummins5552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
thatnameisinuse
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn-91YJ View Post
I agree with the other posters...with a Jeep you'll outgrow the 125 quickly. I just bit the bullet and bought a 180...and glad I did. It might hurt a little initially but it'll hurt more once you sell the smaller unit, lose money and have to now buy what you really wanted in the first place. I fabed a plow frame using 3/8" and had no problems what so ever! It's already paid for itself.

What Glenn said , I have a 180 as well and it will weld anything I throw at it
thatnameisinuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.