Lincoln 225A ac vs ac/dc - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Lincoln 225A ac vs ac/dc

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lincoln 225A ac vs ac/dc

Hey all,

I have access to a 225A AC lincoln arc welder. I ordered a truss / bracket setup from artec and plan to get refamiliarized with it then weld up these brackets.

I was going to buy a 225 AC / DC until I found out my brother has my uncle's old lincoln 225A, so the question is, will it work as well as the ac/dc variant, or would I be better off spending the cash & getting the ac/dc welder?

I only plan to really weld this axle, maybe a couple of bumpers or quick fixes, and maybe, MAYBE, Down the road ill weld up my own cage.

Also, I have used a stick welder before, welding large plates into dump truck beds for my frieds dad. That was 20 years ago, but I remember the process, and I have read in this forum about the correct sticks to use among other things.

Any ideas, help, suggestion would be appreciated!

Unread 10-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

IMHO, you'll be just fine with the ac only machine, sure a dc machine will run a little smoother, but for starting out a cheap to purchase/borrow ac machine would be my choice.

Good luck, Don
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply & information. I just wanted to make sure.
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

make sure you get the E7018AC rods...regular 7018 runs like crap on AC ....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks ironworker! I did make sure to grab the AC sticks, and am hoping to get a bit of 'practice' in this next week. I have to get this thing done for a jeep jamboree in AR Oct 22. So I am about to see how much I remember, and if it might be in my best interest to just try again with a local shop (really wanting to avoid that, but...)

Thanks
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
ToledoDave

Wow im shocked you found an old Ac welder lol. You most definately can weld that with AC but Ac/dc would leave you alot better looking weld. We grew up calling that Old Farmers rod. Ac just burns loud and funny. Unless you have a big mig with at least .045 wire i would use a stick welder all day long for penetration reasons. Practice you horizonal and vertical welds. Vert welds will be most tricky for you with a stick especcially Ac rod. Dont forget the cleaner the surface the better. Rod flux only protects so much unlike gas.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.