Leather welding hoods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Leather welding hoods

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Leather welding hoods

I have been thinking about expanding my helmet & goggle inventory with a leather style welding hood, preferably auto darkening.

I'd like one that the leather is of high quality, and the lens is auto darkening for those tight spots it would mostly be used in.

I don't want a "cheap" helmet that's inferior, and lacks quality components/features.

So, recommendations are welcomed.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just something to think about...I do like my auto darkening, but it sucks in some tight spots. The sensor does not see the weld and does not auto darken and leaves me with hurt eyes. I just have to remember that and get my head lower. In some cases I still have to use my old helmet.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the leather hood...Jackson or Huntsman,just make sure it has the adjustable headband inside....i've been handed some pretty cheezy leather hoods in the past with no real head gear inside to use on jobs and they are worthless.....

As far as auto darkening,you'll have to find a good 2"x4 1/4" auto lens that fits inside in place of the standard fixed lens...

I have an old Huntsman Solera auto lens that i keep in my lunch box tray for those real nasty jobs like inside black or green liquor tanks/vessels t paper plnt shutdowns n such..this lens was givin to me at a Nuke plant years ago and still working like it should..
I just did a search for the Solera lens and it seems they've went through the roof in prices,when mine was first given to me you could commonly find them onlline for around 40.00..now they are anywhere between 80.00 to 130.00...but the thing is,they are only 3/11 darkening shade..mine is 3/10-11 according to how bright and what process your welding with and has a good quality clear to it....i'm not sure i'd want an 11 shade,especialy in bad spots.

Do a through search for those lens,i just a did a quick search,don't buy any of those cheap 20.00 or less off brand names,i know a few have bought them and they were junk.......

The one that did stick out to me in a quick search was a Miller..and its a 3/10..being from Miller and being a 3/10 would sell me if i was looking for one.
Here's a link to the Miller i seen,you maybe able to find a better price doing a thorough search...
Miller 770226 Lens, Helmet Auto Darkening 2.000 X 4.250 - Amazon.com

I do remember seeing Optrel and ArcOne lens in the past for good prices too..2 very well known and high end names in the welding industry.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. Its really appreciated.

I stopped by one of my local welding supply shops yesterday on my way home. They had a Huntsmen that they seemed to be pretty proud of (~$150) with a flip-up standard 11 lens. The Huntsman had an adjustable headband and the quality of the leather seemed good.

One of the store employees showed me a "drop-in" replacement auto darkening lens that was on sale for $99, which was normally ~$125. IIRC, it was either a Jackson, or Lincoln auto lens.

I was hoping to find something local (or online) which is a bit less expensive, and not have to swap lenses to make it auto darkening.

That Miller lens is more reasonably priced, yet I understand a local store charging a bit more due to overhead etc.

The search continues.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As far as the little retro fit slide in auto lens..research the ones ArcOne has,they really are a good brand name,just as good as any big brand names,they just don't invest in the mainstream media exposure.
Real popular name with pipefitters and boilermakers.

I'm not sure you'll find combo packages worth buying that will be the leather hood and auto lens combo....unless a local weld supply will put one together as a reduced packaged price.

I also like to help support local weld suppliers...i do with all my consumables and gasses..but its hard at times to pay some of their prices when their mark up is 100-300%...for a recent example..i was looking to buy a new Jackson W60 TrueSight auto lens..my local shop wanted 310.00...i ended up buyin it online for 160.00 shipped to my door.

I think if you shop around,you can easily get the hood and lens seperate at a total of 150.00 or less and get the better brands....it's easy to put the auto lens in..just like any other standard lens..just slides in place of the old standard lens.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I also like to help support local weld suppliers...i do with all my consumables and gasses..but its hard at times to pay some of their prices when their mark up is 100-300%...for a recent example..i was looking to buy a new Jackson W60 TrueSight auto lens..my local shop wanted 310.00...i ended up buyin it online for 160.00 shipped to my door.
\
Where did you find the truesight lens for that price at? Been eyeing it ever since it came out and finally getting fed up with my Speedglas for my "nice hood welding"

As far as 2x4 auto lens, i run an ArcOne ss240 i believe in my pipeliner and i've had no complaints with it so far. It has sensitivity on/off as well as grind/delay with a shade 3/10.5 i believe.
LilSteve97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSteve97TJ View Post
Where did you find the truesight lens for that price at? Been eyeing it ever since it came out and finally getting fed up with my Speedglas for my "nice hood welding"

As far as 2x4 auto lens, i run an ArcOne ss240 i believe in my pipeliner and i've had no complaints with it so far. It has sensitivity on/off as well as grind/delay with a shade 3/10.5 i believe.
Got it here,don;t know if the auction will show up since it ended,they were selling them for a few weeks at this price,i jumped on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161003013098...84.m1439.l2649

I checked the seller the other day and selling nothing right now,because a buddy of mine wanted one too...guess i just happen to be lucky breezin thru the hoods on eBay to catch it.

Yea i've seen quite a few people using the Arcone singles and they have no complaints either

Never forget 9/11

Unread 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the additional pointers guys.

I haven't had much time lately to stop by any other of my local welding shops to see what they have handy, or offer. I do plan to do so over the next couple days.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.