Leans Homemade Rock Sliders! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Leans Homemade Rock Sliders!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Leans Homemade Rock Sliders!

I thought I would do a little walk through of my homemade rock slider project. First to show them off a little bit but mostly to show some folks that they can make these in their garage/driveway too. Also I enjoyed searching through threads for tips and ideas, so this will be my contribution. Thanks to all who took the time to write those threads as your ideas and info was greatly appreciated. There are several pluses to doing these yourself. You get the exact dimension and coverage that you want, and theres always the "I made this" bragging right and feeling of pride. So anyways lets get to it.

I made a pair for my 93 YJ and my buddy John made a pair for his 95 YJ at the same time. I had dimensions in mind due to fit and asthetics of having 5 inches up the side. I also wanted 2 to 3 inches under the tub. I wanted the side step so that short people can get in the Jeep and I really like the look of it. John just wanted flat sides so he didn't get caught up on anything. I wanted my sliders to go from flare to flare, John wanted his to go from the rear flare clear to the front fender end. He also has stock flares and was planning to keep these.

In the end we had our sizes and needs figured out so it was time to get some metal. We couldn't find any angle iron in the size we wanted so we ordered some 7" by 5' by 3/16" and had the metal shop put a 90* bend at 5" and 2". As far as the side steps I wanted, I had no access to a tubing bender and A to Z Fab had exactly what I wanted. So instead of making these myself I bought some pre-bent side steps from A to Z. I think its great that they sell just the step for us do it yourselfers. I suppose if anyone wanted they could add steps to an existing pair of rock sliders. I also ordered the slider backing from A to Z and it was plenty for two sets of rockers. For hardware we went to ACE and got 5/16" countersunk style bolts with some nuts and lock washers.

We are ready to begin our cutting, welding, etc. For cutting our angles on each end we measured the angles and then the length along the bottom. We measured twice and cut once. For the cutting we used a Dewalt chop saw and angle grinder.

For the holes in my slider I just measered locations that did not have any interference inside the tub or fenders. The front fenders are double lined but there is a large hole in the second layer on the inside so I used this as one of my measurements. I also ensured that all of the bolts were even horizontally. John did the same on his measurements but he reused the holes up front for the stock fender flares. We used my trusty Harbor Freight drill press to drill the holes. We cut through with a 5/16" bit and then used a 5/8" countersink bit. We first tried HF bits but they each only cut 2 holes before they were destroyed. We felt we might be at a loss but found a Ryobi bit at Home Depot and it cut the rest of the 30 or so holes with zero problems.

Now we're basically ready to put the flares up to the Jeep and drill the tub. Your buddy or a Hilift jack will come in very handy for this process. Now more than ever it is important to measure twice and drill once since you are drilling into the actual vehicle.

So a little paint now and and put the backing on and John's flares are done. They turned out really nice. There is only about a quarter of and inch or less of space where the flare goes over the slider to the tub. It really flows more smoothly than I thought it would.

I on the other hand still had to weld the side steps on. I did a little measuring and cleaned up the metal in the areas to be welded. I use a Lincoln 220V with gas. So the side steps turned out really good looking and I was able to get them really straight. A little paint and the backing and mine are now ready to be installed. I used 3 metal plates 3/16" thick on 3 bolt holes on each side for support and peace of mind. I used scrap from our earlier angle cuts for these. Many folks with sliders do not have any plates inside for support and never have any problems. Since I'm using it for a step also, I went ahead and added them. I painted them white to match the inside of the tub.

Both of our sets turned out great. This can certainly be done in a day but due to our HF bits breaking and waiting for primer and paint to dry it ended up taking us 2 days. We already got to go and test them out and they did their job perfectly. Here are some pictures, hope you all enjoy!

Here you can see the beginning stage with the raw metal and the steps and padding. The drive shaft was not part of this project lol

Here you can kinda see how I measured the holes and the steps.

Here is the mock up on the Jeep

Here it sits after welding but before paint.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.

Last edited by Leans93; 07-05-2010 at 12:21 AM..
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my Jeep before

And here is my Jeep after

Here are my buddy's finished but before paint. You can see no steps and stock flares re-used

Now for some action shots. This was our first wheeling trip after the rocker guards were put on. In this picture John was litterally high centered on this rock and the rocker guard was resting nicely on the rock. Everything held its place perfectly with no slider or body damage. We now have proof of a good finished product!

And here is just a poser shot of mine with the new sliders on.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

looks good. did you use any kind of grip tape for the steps?
btw your avatar looks a little familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_phil View Post
looks good. did you use any kind of grip tape for the steps?
btw your avatar looks a little familiar
Thank you! No I haven't used any kind of grip for the steps. I have no plans to at the moment.

Quote:
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
karlo

Looks great just like a professionally-done slider.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
zoomin0074

got any pics on how they are mounted.. from inside and underneath..
Red Jeep club #435
zoomin0074 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlo View Post
Looks great just like a professionally-done slider.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomin0074 View Post
I will try to take a few and post them up soon.

Quote:
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job!

Good lookin YJ too

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Aevrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great man nice build.
Aevrubi06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
whiskeyNcoke
1985 CJ7 

I love that style.. I have a pair very similar to that on my CJ7. They mount on the side of the tub like yours, and they mount underneath at the rear two body mounts (rear 2, as in the rear two of the three that are under that section of tub) Solid as a rock
whiskeyNcoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Jeeper_YJ

From the body to the "step" is 2"?
'97 Cherokee, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, 703 injectors (new), k&n intake, Hypertech III, 180* stat (1/8" drilled hole), 2.5" manifold 2 tail pipe (Hooker Maxflow & hi flow cat), Perf header, 4.5" zone lift, 32" GY Dura Trac, Rear head rests. Comp cam "231" & Perf head (LS1 BIG valves 2.02/1.62). 3 row alum radiator.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the compliments everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper_YJ View Post
From the body to the "step" is 2"?
It is about 2 3/4" from the body out and same for the tub up to the step.

Quote:
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomin0074 View Post
Here are some pics as requested

Pics from the bottom up, then a pic of the bolts with the plate on the inside, then a pic of the bolt to the tub only. Sorry about the huge pics. It's my first time trying the upload instead of hosting.
more-rock-sliders-001.jpg   more-rock-sliders-002.jpg   more-rock-sliders-003.jpg   more-rock-sliders-005.jpg  

Quote:
Unread 12-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #14
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i think i have officially found my twin jeep....

we have almost all the same parts. even lift............

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
i think i have officially found my twin jeep....

we have almost all the same parts. even lift............
We do sound like twins I even have a Warn M8000 I'm going to install w/in the next couple of weeks. Do you have any pics of yours?

Quote:

Tags
homemade sliders , sliders , jeep , fabrication , YJ , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.