Leafspring rebuild questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Leafspring rebuild questions

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
edxj95

Leafspring rebuild questions

I am rebuilding my junkyard leafs for my xj . I want to add one spring from original set, the second from the bottom as an Ada. My question is can I just use graphite paint from tractor supply for between leafs or do I need to buy new friction pads to go between the leafs. I am also building my own shackles. Will post pics later.

edxj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If the original set has sliders, can't you just swipe one from them? I'd think the spray graphite would wear pretty quick.

If the new spring pack has sliders, maybe you can rob the sliders from the smallest leaf. They have the least amount of sliding during flexing.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
edxj95

I have not disassembled the leafs yet but I am afraid that when I do the pads will just fall apart. I want to be prepared when I take them apart. I want to wire wheel springs. Do not want to spend to much money already paid too much at junk yard. When new ones cost about 100 a piece.
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe you could use something like this?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flat-S...ners,7471.html
I am using the graphite paint on my XJ pack.
Added main leaf to the pack. (no friction pad) only the one leaf. It does seem to work well but I would not do it, without the pads, thoughout the whole pack.
I also opened up the clamps to help the leafs fan out.
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I tried that stuff from speedway motors and it wouldn't stick to my leafs I used epoxy to glue it down. And the first run out 90% of it came out. If I were you I would use graphite paint I've heard very good things about it. If I could find it locally I would use it. I still might order it online and redo my springs.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
edxj95

Tractor supply carries the graphite paint. Comes in a can to brush on or spray can. My local tsc has both on the shelf. If there is no tsc near you their website is tractorsupply.com. Was there today but didn't pick any up today. Was shopping/spending for wife today her birthday.
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used full length 1/8" teflon cut into 2.5" widths and sandwiched them between leaves. worked well.
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why don't you find a local spring ship and buy some friction pads? Where are you located?
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.