Last part of my rear bumper and I'm struggling.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Last part of my rear bumper and I'm struggling..

So I've put together a rear bumper with tire carrier for my Jeep. Well due to delays etc this thing has dragged on and I'm just about finished.

However my last hurdle is the latching down of the carrier. I've picked up a latch, and I'm aware that the latching end needs to rest firmly on the lower portion of the bumper to prevent vibrations.

Well I've added some rubber islolators between tire and bumper to have it up there snug however as soon as I latch the carrier part down it pulls the upper A frame off the carrier away from my tailgate which returns back to my vibration issue. Hard to see but those are basically two pucks that I am using with a few washers to try and keep it tight.

I'm hoping there is some experienced guys here that can chime in. What am I doing wrong? I have a feeling it's something obvious however I'm not seeing it..

The latch end is on the lower portion firmly and snug however the top part as you can see pulls away from the tailgate which makes it move/vibrate..

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4625_1496191477352.jpg   IMG_4626_1496191477352.jpg   IMG_4598_1496191516896.jpg   IMG_4599_1496191516896.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
that latch i would think would be better if it was at the end and pulling it to the bumper/stop. the way that is now it will shift until the latch binds to hold it there.

something more like this:

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
that latch i would think would be better if it was at the end and pulling it to the bumper/stop. the way that is now it will shift until the latch binds to hold it there.

something more like this:
222Doc, thanks so much for input/feedback really appreciated. I think you might be right. My only concern with that is then how do you ensure the latch end sits down to the lower portion of the bumper firmly?

As you can see in my picture there I just had a piece of 3/8s below the carrier arm just to see how snug it would be and it obviously helps when I latch it down so it pulls it down onto it tight. I guess I could always add the required thickness below the arm so that as it closes I lift it onto it a bit and it just sits there? Not sure if you know what I mean?

post #4 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
my main concern is how little the hook connects to the tang on your setup.> When it is loaded to a rear direction, not down. There is a good chance if you bump into something or they you. it will just pop off swing open. when these things get loose they can cause a lot of tub damage.

I do see how that latch you have wont mount to be in a 90* angle to where the hook pulls and still lay flat to the swing out. with out modding that to do it. i can only think find a latch that will?

Funny i am build a tire carrier for the inside of the tube right now. I have a swing away but hate having that much weight that far in the back. Off road it makes a huge change in weigh bias when all that is off. 110 pound tire and my swing away is 85 pounds. That is 200 pounds hanging off the rear past the center of gravity. I have 95% of the time just strapped it to the bed and only used the swing away on multi day trails only. since then i need every inch of space for gear, food camping gear, 100 pound coon hound. Maybe the wife and she thinks when she goes its bring everything in the world you can imagine . me i can pack a week in a back pack. so a 2 door seems very roomy. Just me this year going to Tahoe and i plan to run the Con again(like my 30th run) but first we are running Fordyce Creek. I dont want any weight off the back this year.

My new mount puts that tire right behind the 5 points roll bar brace /bar. standing up and mounts to that roll bar and the tub at the bottom. making it removable as well. getting ready for the summers runs in Cali we do every year. last year i just strapped the tire to the tube and that made it rather hard to pack everything in the back. more over my ice chest. I like the loaded junk to not be higher than the tubs rail. well back to the garage. this gave me a break its hot out there right now.

best of luck, i think if it was me i would be looking for a latch that can pull a 90* bend to support it. Dont worry about up and down so much just have some metal so it will ride up on a ramp and put some thin plastic on top as a cush at the most.

doc

post #5 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks, ya this latch won't do the 90angle..

I'm out in the garage now trying to figure out what to do unless I mount it on the flat face of the carrier and then pull it closed.. basically same idea as you... not sure if this a good idea or not before I spend time drilling, tapping welding..
Attached Thumbnails
image_1496265587041.jpg  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 07:30 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
That would be better as long as there is enough room to build up a place for the catch. But.

This is what i was thinking as i sit here looking on the interweb.

Kinda pricey. But i would think you can find similar maybe for less? Though that one looks rather well made, i think.

Not related but just something i have had happen once..... When you park anywhere be sure to check the latch. People are ash hats and will open that, wanting it to fly open. I have found mine released at the store before. I always do the walk about before i ever get in a Vehicle, tires, looks for anything odd, missing etc. That one time the latch was opened, if had not did the visual inspection would have been FUBAR....

post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Thanks, ya this latch won't do the 90 angle.
You're fixated on that latch, like it's the only solution. I'd skip that thing completely and think outside the small and limited box it creates in your head.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #8 of 9 Old 06-03-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
That would be better as long as there is enough room to build up a place for the catch. But.

This is what i was thinking as i sit here looking on the interweb.

Kinda pricey. But i would think you can find similar maybe for less? Though that one looks rather well made, i think.

Not related but just something i have had happen once..... When you park anywhere be sure to check the latch. People are ash hats and will open that, wanting it to fly open. I have found mine released at the store before. I always do the walk about before i ever get in a Vehicle, tires, looks for anything odd, missing etc. That one time the latch was opened, if had not did the visual inspection would have been FUBAR....
Some people huh.. That's pretty low to do that to someone. That's the part of me that worries me also is someone doing that but also it just ripping open going down the road and swinging around and damaging the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
You're fixated on that latch, like it's the only solution. I'd skip that thing completely and think outside the small and limited box it creates in your head.
Cheers! Think I am just going with a 1/2" bolt and make it into a T-handle style and screw it down. Seems simple enough.

Going to try the latch the way I have posted up there mounting it sideways but not going to spend anymore time on it if it don't work. I'll simply drill a hole, install the 1/2" bolt through a sleeve/bushing through the carrier arm and screw it down. should work.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Between juggling of getting them pool ready and painting the deck I had some time tonight to take another stab at this latch idea..

Well this seems to have done the trick. The tire is on there solid no wiggle. I just have to lower the latch down a tad bit to align it a bit better with the hook end so it's straight on.

I don't foresee any issues in this? Thoughts? Thinking about adding a backup failsafe attachment of sort in case this does give but unsure on what.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4686_1496884025083.jpg   IMG_4688_1496884025083.jpg   IMG_4689_1496884025083.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.