Laser cutting my own shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Laser cutting my own shackles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Laser cutting my own shackles

I am giving some consideration to laser cutting my own shackles. My current ones are in bad shape, they are over 20 years old. Plus I would just want the bragging rights of making my own shackles.
I program/operate cutting lasers and have a slew of different types of steel at my disposal, so there really isn't any issue there. I plan on putting a zerc fitting in and purchasing new bushings/bolts. Would be a great way for me to get about 1/2" lift from a new set of shackles on the cheap!
Now my questions:
* What (if any) advantage is there to using a boomerang design?
* If boomerang type shackles are worth the effort, does anyone have the dimensions for a set with 5/8" lift?

I plan on fabbing quite a few things for my project and thought I'd start with shackles first, they seem to be pretty straight forward. Man do I love working in a shop.

DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ
I am giving some consideration to laser cutting my own shackles. My current ones are in bad shape, they are over 20 years old. Plus I would just want the bragging rights of making my own shackles.
I program/operate cutting lasers and have a slew of different types of steel at my disposal, so there really isn't any issue there. I plan on putting a zerc fitting in and purchasing new bushings/bolts. Would be a great way for me to get about 1/2" lift from a new set of shackles on the cheap!
That's cool that you have access to that stuff; my old neighbor designed and built LARGE hydraulic systems for meat packing plants and other large manufacturer's. He had all of his race car stuff programmed in so if he broke something on the weekend he could walk in the office - click a few buttons and be done!

On to your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ
Now my questions:
* What (if any) advantage is there to using a boomerang design?
* If boomerang type shackles are worth the effort, does anyone have the dimensions for a set with 5/8" lift?

I plan on fabbing quite a few things for my project and thought I'd start with shackles first, they seem to be pretty straight forward. Man do I love working in a shop.
Boomerang shackles (to the best of my knowledge) are used to help with clearance issues for things like crossmembers, etc. Other than that I'm not aware of any real benefit to them.

As far as size goes, measure the ones you have and add/subtract what you need between the holes and you should be good. Part of the lift is going to depend on your shackle angle. If you have a 90 deg. angle (bad) then you would get the maximum lift for that shackle but if you have them at say 65 deg. (top going towards the front of the vehicle) then you wouldn't get quite the same amount of lift. I would recommend you measure your current angle and plan from there...

P.s. You could also just drill the hole for the zerk fitting...if you're only doing one set it may be faster than programming for it...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
RedMountainYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
Boomerang shackles (to the best of my knowledge) are used to help with clearance issues for things like crossmembers, etc. Other than that I'm not aware of any real benefit to them.
Sorry Driver i got to disagree. The purpose of boomerang shackles is to allow better flex out of lift springs with "taller" arch to them. because they are phyically longer you need to allow them to "flatted out" past where a stock shackle would allow it to. with a boomerang shackle it allows the shackles to preform this in a non-linearly. (gawd my grammer is awesome, is non-linerly even a word? , everyone still follow).

so comparing a regular shackle to a boomerang shackle, with the same amount of lift, the boomerang shackle will allow the spring to flatten more getting you better flex.

and i guess that Driver is right too. like on a comp'd rig with XJ springs.

but i like mine anyways. I'd do it. want to cut parts for me? i mean i think you owe me, especiall with this totally awesome explanation that i just gave you. i think a set of rockers would be about right to call it even

hope this helps, ed
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

The distance between the two holes is what gains your lift; and yes the longer the shackle the more flex you get but; straight shackles and boomerang shackles of the same length (distance between the holes) will give you identical flex if nothing is in the way however; if something's in the way then you'll benefit from the boomerang shackles...

Can I get some free stuff too! I'd actually take a pair of shackles - either ones would do!

COTM - October 2012!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ha!
My wife told me people would start asking me to make them things when I made this post.

Thanks for the info guys. so as it looks I have no need for boomerang shackles. I am only going to put a 2.5 suspension lift on the old Jeep, no need for more considering the type of fun I like to have in it. Maybe I could start laser cutting shackles and selling them on ebay!
I'll just take the measurements of my current shackles, and add an inch to them, that should give me an extra 1/2" of lift and not give me the vampire look... and I still get to brag that I made them.

What material would you suggest I cut these from? I figured I'd use something between 1/4" and 3/8" A36 mild steel and coat them for rust prevention.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I cannot for the life of me remember who made this spec sheet out not how much lift it gives but alot of members used it:
boomerangshackle-1.jpg  

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'd poke around some vendor sites and see what they're using for metal; I would guess 1/4" or thicker?

And that drawing looks to be about 2.5" of lift - if you didn't have shackles before. They are 7.5" total length, the holes are 1" from each end (so it's roughly 5.5") and then you have the bend which would shorten the distance between the holes a little bit - I'm guessing about 1/2". So I'd guess 2.5" of lift when it's all said and done. If you can measure between the two holes and divide it in half that will get you your lift.

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
I'd poke around some vendor sites and see what they're using for metal; I would guess 1/4" or thicker?

And that drawing looks to be about 2.5" of lift - if you didn't have shackles before. They are 7.5" total length, the holes are 1" from each end (so it's roughly 5.5") and then you have the bend which would shorten the distance between the holes a little bit - I'm guessing about 1/2". So I'd guess 2.5" of lift when it's all said and done. If you can measure between the two holes and divide it in half that will get you your lift.
Using photoshop, I mapped the pic out on a grid. If my math is correct, the bolt holes are 6" center to center, that means it would be a 1" lift.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
RedMountainYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The distance between the two holes is what gains your lift; and yes the longer the shackle the more flex you get but; straight shackles and boomerang shackles of the same length (distance between the holes) will give you identical flex if nothing is in the way however; if something's in the way then you'll benefit from the boomerang shackles...
Driver, my bad. for some reason, just now, it clicked what you were saying. i totally agree with you now. i feel like a ******!

now my question is why do you see them up front? I cant think of anything in the way (like the rear cross member, doh!)

dont mean to hijack the thread, sorry
Unread 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMountainYJ

Driver, my bad. for some reason, just now, it clicked what you were saying. i totally agree with you now. i feel like a ******!

now my question is why do you see them up front? I cant think of anything in the way (like the rear cross member, doh!)

dont mean to hijack the thread, sorry
You may want to search M.O.R.E. boomerang shackles over in the YJ tech section. Many, many members run them. Your best bet is to get first hand knowledge of their use.

Unread 03-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
You may want to search M.O.R.E. boomerang shackles over in the YJ tech section. Many, many members run them. Your best bet is to get first hand knowledge of their use.
What this guy said...

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did this same thing I work at a place that I have access to a waterjet. In my free time I was able to build up a set of these in solidworks and make a .dxf file to cut them out. I used 3/8" plate for mine. Mine were about a 5/8"-3/4" lift.
after cut

front

rear
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Using photoshop, I mapped the pic out on a grid. If my math is correct, the bolt holes are 6" center to center, that means it would be a 1" lift.
That's if you have 4" long (2" lift) shackles already, if your current shackles are only 3" long (1.5" of lift) then you'd gain another 1.5" of lift...

That's all dependent on if your axle is centered on the spring - if it's 6" forward of a rear shackle you wouldn't gain that much lift but if it was 6" backwards (towards the axle) you'd gain a little more than 3" of lift.

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 03-11-2008, 03:27 AM   #14
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
That's if you have 4" long (2" lift) shackles already, if your current shackles are only 3" long (1.5" of lift) then you'd gain another 1.5" of lift...

That's all dependent on if your axle is centered on the spring - if it's 6" forward of a rear shackle you wouldn't gain that much lift but if it was 6" backwards (towards the axle) you'd gain a little more than 3" of lift.
The stock YJ shackles are 4" bolt to bolt. What you are stating is correct but not the start specs. I stated that it measured 6" bolt to bolt. That is 2" over stock thus giving you the 1" lift.

Unread 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The stock YJ shackles are 4" bolt to bolt. What you are stating is correct but not the start specs. I stated that it measured 6" bolt to bolt. That is 2" over stock thus giving you the 1" lift.
Yep, then you would be correct, I was not sure what the factory shackle length is for a YJ...

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.