post #1 of Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Douglas S.

Laser Cutter File Types

I can get plate cut for free on a laser cutter here in town. What I want to make is this (replace "***" with "ass"). I just need to get them into a format that the cutter can use. What is the easiest way for me to do this?

Thanks

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81
1987 YJ Laredo
post #2 of Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your shop with the lasercutter probably needs a DXF file. It is a vector format in actual size (1:1). It is easy to make with a CAD program, however the drawings on that site are missing some dimensions. Where is that rectangular hole located from the side? Also, I would only lasercut the bottom plate (10" x 28.25") from sheet. The sides would be easier/stronger to cut from 1.5" flatbar.

The image on that site is not to scale and the dimensions shown don't quite agree with each other. But here is a CAD file and DXF to get you started. You can view both with the free viewer on the Solidworks site.

www.naturespocket.com/temp/skidplate.zip

2005 Impact Orange Rubicon
6 speed standard 4.0L I6 engine
Mechanical Engineer behind the wheel
Toronto, ON, Canada
post #3 of Old 08-13-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeep View Post
Your shop with the lasercutter probably needs a DXF file. It is a vector format in actual size (1:1). It is easy to make with a CAD program, however the drawings on that site are missing some dimensions. Where is that rectangular hole located from the side? Also, I would only lasercut the bottom plate (10" x 28.25") from sheet. The sides would be easier/stronger to cut from 1.5" flatbar.

The image on that site is not to scale and the dimensions shown don't quite agree with each other. But here is a CAD file and DXF to get you started. You can view both with the free viewer on the Solidworks site.

www.naturespocket.com/temp/skidplate.zip
Thanks!

I regards to the rectangular hole, I think I'll just plasma it out once the actual skid is assembled. It is only used to access the drain plug.

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81
1987 YJ Laredo