KK Liberty custom winch bumper build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > KK Liberty custom winch bumper build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Looking as though it is coming along. Did you build a cardboard template or are you free handing it as you go?

Is the bumper designed to be flat on the bottom or are you planning to tie it in with or into a skid plate underneath?
I am just going off of the design, although i am going to measure the jeep again to make sure it will fit. It will be flat on the bottom, but be low enough to cover the coolers that low. It will be slightly higher in the middle than that plastic air dam thing on the stock one. He didn't need a ton of clearance as he doesn't really rock crawl with it, although it will have more than stock by far.

"The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds"-Theo Jansen
Viper723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
wicked99wj
1999 WJ 

so you are using flux core to weld the whole thing together or just to tack it then run the beads with gas and bare wire? what kind of welder are you using? i think i will make this for my parents when i get the chance to.
wicked99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am using flux core since I weld in the wind outside all the time. It is just a 140 Mig setup, but I have strength tested the welds on rocks quite a bit and they have held up great

Unread 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
wicked99wj
1999 WJ 

thats awsome i got the lincohln 140 mig and i built alot of stuff with it and i always test my welds after i weld so i know it will hold up most do but some dont.
wicked99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got it to a point where it is starting to look like a bumper... This thing is going to look freakin sweet!
0422121710.jpg   0422121710a.jpg  

Unread 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #21
collins1888
2009 KK Liberty 

Looking good... I want!!!
collins1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I believe when you do mine at a very reasonable price.....we will add a few cut outs for mounting fog and driving lights in the front of the bumper. Maybe even a small one on each of the end caps for lighting to the side.
Can't wait to see the rear bumper......
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I believe when you do mine at a very reasonable price.....we will add a few cut outs for mounting fog and driving lights in the front of the bumper. Maybe even a small one on each of the end caps for lighting to the side.
Can't wait to see the rear bumper......
haha unfortunately there was no rear bumper order on this one. This thing is coming out great though. Once we get his bumper off I can figure out the mounts which will be the toughest part.

Unread 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got more of the bottom end done today. This thing really is huge. Its not especially heavy considering the dimensions actually though. This guy is definitely getting what he paid for. Shoulda charged more haha
0423121524.jpg   0423121559.jpg   0423121600.jpg  

Unread 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
collins1888
2009 KK Liberty 

besides a full steel bumper like this, anyone ever looked into a tubular bumper like say this...

Quote:
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins1888 View Post
besides a full steel bumper like this, anyone ever looked into a tubular bumper like say this...
The Liberty with the bumper removed is darn right ugly with all the coolers, hoses, and bumper foam filler, any bumper that did not cover all of this would be a tough sell. Now I guess you could do a full bumper and stack pipe on top of one another to give it a different look, but the weight would be staggering.
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper723 View Post
haha unfortunately there was no rear bumper order on this one. This thing is coming out great though. Once we get his bumper off I can figure out the mounts which will be the toughest part.
You may want to take alook over on the BlueOx and Roadmaster tow bar bracket sites. Both have downloads as to how to install their tow bar brackets with photos and great detail. It may give you some ideas as to what to look for. For the most part these brackets mount to the frame via the recovery tow hooks with a little additional drilling. Add a few gussets and you should be good to go.

The only reason there is not rear bumper in the plans is because you haven't mentioned it to the owner.......YET!!
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #28
collins1888
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen

The Liberty with the bumper removed is darn right ugly with all the coolers, hoses, and bumper foam filler, any bumper that did not cover all of this would be a tough sell. Now I guess you could do a full bumper and stack pipe on top of one another to give it a different look, but the weight would be staggering.
Fair I was just curious. How much added weight will the bumper your making add?
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You may want to take alook over on the BlueOx and Roadmaster tow bar bracket sites. Both have downloads as to how to install their tow bar brackets with photos and great detail. It may give you some ideas as to what to look for. For the most part these brackets mount to the frame via the recovery tow hooks with a little additional drilling. Add a few gussets and you should be good to go.

The only reason there is not rear bumper in the plans is because you haven't mentioned it to the owner.......YET!!
Funny you mention that. Its actually getting a BlueOx tow bar. haha I will check out their site thanks

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #30
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins1888 View Post
Fair I was just curious. How much added weight will the bumper your making add?
Well he is adding a winch so thats another 80 pounds on top of the bumper, but without the winch it is about 110 pounds total when done I think. so maybe 70 or 80 pounds over stock??? Just a guess

And the tubing I am using saved some weight with the cut section and I think looks cool haha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.