KK Liberty custom winch bumper build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > KK Liberty custom winch bumper build

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

KK Liberty custom winch bumper build

I am about to start a Liberty bumper for a customer and I thought it would be cool to make a thread for it as I have not seen any Liberty bumper builds as of yet. It is my design and I think it will look really nice on that model of Jeep. Here is the base design i am working off of. There is going to be a tow bar that's detachable and possibly small air tanks built in for airing down. It should be a cool build...

kk.jpg  

"The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds"-Theo Jansen
Viper723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Cool, man! I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure. You might double it up on the KK subforum.

Keep the progress posted and good luck with the build.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Going to get the steel today!!!

Unread 04-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have started to lay out the cuts to slice up the plate... My customer got a winch for it today too. Any KK guys know the best way to mount and or dimensions of mounting points by chance? haha

Unread 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

OK, enough with the KK foreplay, time to heat some metal and make some sparks. Tuned in to see what happens next.

What are you using for metal plate, 3/16" or 1/4"
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

Subscribing to this thread.
Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

nice
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Once you get this first bumper worked out, is this something you will be offering to others? Looks like you have peaked some interest.
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Once you get this first bumper worked out, is this something you will be offering to others? Looks like you have peaked some interest.
It sure does. Lets see how this one works out, and the big problem I would see is shipping. I might be able to do kits eventually as well, but I don't have laser cnc capacity or anything, so they probably won't be perfect matches every time. If womeone was willing to ship one (roughly 105 pounds) I would definitely build one. Lets see how this goes first though

Unread 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

If you do get the chance, I would still be interested in the gauge/thickness of the material you are using. Is it the same all the way around, or a thinner metal with renforcement where needed for tow bar connects, D-rings and winch plate.

I can understand where shipping could be a problem. One way to lower the shipping is to set up an account with like FedEx and the fees do drop. Another would be to ship it in a bare metal state with out painting, this would cut down on damage claims and packing materials.

Or push comes to shove, as you cut your pieces make a template and sell the plans and templates to those who are interested and wish to have the bumper made locally.

But, as you said, lets see how the first bumper turns out. Good Luck, no pressure...but we are all watching over your shoulder......LOL
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoerikson3 View Post
subscribing to this thread.
+1
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
If you do get the chance, I would still be interested in the gauge/thickness of the material you are using. Is it the same all the way around, or a thinner metal with renforcement where needed for tow bar connects, D-rings and winch plate.

I can understand where shipping could be a problem. One way to lower the shipping is to set up an account with like FedEx and the fees do drop. Another would be to ship it in a bare metal state with out painting, this would cut down on damage claims and packing materials.

Or push comes to shove, as you cut your pieces make a template and sell the plans and templates to those who are interested and wish to have the bumper made locally.

But, as you said, lets see how the first bumper turns out. Good Luck, no pressure...but we are all watching over your shoulder......LOL
I am using all 3/16's plate. Where the winch is mounted I will most likely have a kind of support structure even though the plate will handle it just fine.

Unread 04-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay first cuts made. I want to go measure it against the actual Jeep so I know for sure on the grill gap. That is the most crucial part of the fit.
0414121303.jpg  

Unread 04-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Viper723
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got some more done today. I need to make sure the grill fitment will work before I go any further. Any questions so far? This will also have the turn signals in the bumper built into it as well...
0415121532.jpg   0415121555.jpg  

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Looking as though it is coming along. Did you build a cardboard template or are you free handing it as you go?

Is the bumper designed to be flat on the bottom or are you planning to tie it in with or into a skid plate underneath?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.