JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fabrication Shop (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/)
-   -   KK Liberty custom winch bumper build (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/kk-liberty-custom-winch-bumper-build-1353728/)

Viper723 04-07-2012 02:15 PM

KK Liberty custom winch bumper build

1 Attachment(s)
I am about to start a Liberty bumper for a customer and I thought it would be cool to make a thread for it as I have not seen any Liberty bumper builds as of yet. It is my design and I think it will look really nice on that model of Jeep. Here is the base design i am working off of. There is going to be a tow bar that's detachable and possibly small air tanks built in for airing down. It should be a cool build...

JeepN4KC 04-07-2012 03:35 PM

Cool, man! I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure. You might double it up on the KK subforum.

Keep the progress posted and good luck with the build.

Viper723 04-10-2012 12:32 PM

Going to get the steel today!!!

Viper723 04-13-2012 08:22 PM

I have started to lay out the cuts to slice up the plate... My customer got a winch for it today too. Any KK guys know the best way to mount and or dimensions of mounting points by chance? haha

jonrjen 04-13-2012 09:21 PM

OK, enough with the KK foreplay, time to heat some metal and make some sparks. Tuned in to see what happens next.

What are you using for metal plate, 3/16" or 1/4"

eoerikson3 04-13-2012 09:25 PM

Subscribing to this thread.

Poncherello 04-13-2012 10:59 PM

nice

jonrjen 04-14-2012 07:19 AM

Once you get this first bumper worked out, is this something you will be offering to others? Looks like you have peaked some interest.

Viper723 04-14-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 13409078)
Once you get this first bumper worked out, is this something you will be offering to others? Looks like you have peaked some interest.

It sure does. Lets see how this one works out, and the big problem I would see is shipping. I might be able to do kits eventually as well, but I don't have laser cnc capacity or anything, so they probably won't be perfect matches every time. If womeone was willing to ship one (roughly 105 pounds) I would definitely build one. Lets see how this goes first though ;)

jonrjen 04-14-2012 10:12 AM

If you do get the chance, I would still be interested in the gauge/thickness of the material you are using. Is it the same all the way around, or a thinner metal with renforcement where needed for tow bar connects, D-rings and winch plate.

I can understand where shipping could be a problem. One way to lower the shipping is to set up an account with like FedEx and the fees do drop. Another would be to ship it in a bare metal state with out painting, this would cut down on damage claims and packing materials.

Or push comes to shove, as you cut your pieces make a template and sell the plans and templates to those who are interested and wish to have the bumper made locally.

But, as you said, lets see how the first bumper turns out. Good Luck, no pressure...but we are all watching over your shoulder......LOL

_benjammin 04-14-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eoerikson3 (Post 13408044)
subscribing to this thread.

+1

Viper723 04-14-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 13409714)
If you do get the chance, I would still be interested in the gauge/thickness of the material you are using. Is it the same all the way around, or a thinner metal with renforcement where needed for tow bar connects, D-rings and winch plate.

I can understand where shipping could be a problem. One way to lower the shipping is to set up an account with like FedEx and the fees do drop. Another would be to ship it in a bare metal state with out painting, this would cut down on damage claims and packing materials.

Or push comes to shove, as you cut your pieces make a template and sell the plans and templates to those who are interested and wish to have the bumper made locally.

But, as you said, lets see how the first bumper turns out. Good Luck, no pressure...but we are all watching over your shoulder......LOL

I am using all 3/16's plate. Where the winch is mounted I will most likely have a kind of support structure even though the plate will handle it just fine.

Viper723 04-14-2012 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay first cuts made. I want to go measure it against the actual Jeep so I know for sure on the grill gap. That is the most crucial part of the fit.

Viper723 04-15-2012 09:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some more done today. I need to make sure the grill fitment will work before I go any further. Any questions so far? This will also have the turn signals in the bumper built into it as well...

jonrjen 04-16-2012 09:21 AM

Looking as though it is coming along. Did you build a cardboard template or are you free handing it as you go?

Is the bumper designed to be flat on the bottom or are you planning to tie it in with or into a skid plate underneath?

The time now is 07:43 AM.