Kenbo's AtoZ cage install. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Kenbo's AtoZ cage install.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Kenbo's AtoZ cage install.

Here is the formal thread for my cage install for those who have not seen it.

I ordered the cage kit from Zach at AtoZ Fabrication and it sat in my garage for over a month prior to me getting time to fit it (work and school are killers).

Here is the kit, fresh out of the box.

Fitting the upper bars to go to the windshield.

The stock windshield mount gets fitted to the other end of this piece. The OD of the mount fits the ID of the DOM tubing in the kit.

Next comes the center hoop

Next comes the upper windshield bar and intermediates from that to the center hoop.

Once that's all welded, the A-pillars are next. THIS TAKES TIME!

cut the dash, trim some metal stuff the tubing in (multiple times) mark and trim a little at a time. This goes to the base plate in the floor bottom base plate is the AtoZ rocker guard (if you have them) if not, standard steel plate.

Here is Andrew doing some fitment.

Next is the bottom windshield intermediate.

The handles are cake, haha.

The rear half of the cage is simple as it comes...... Pretty cut and dry, ask questions if you have any.

That is pretty much it...... I was too busy to take a ton of pictures but I can answer any install questions or snap certain pictures to help explain anything.

Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I plan on eventually doing a lot more to the cage as in tying the A and B pillars to each other and running intermediates from side to side to tie the seats into the cage. I also plan on triangulating the B pillars behind the seats and set it up for harnesses once the fuel cell and stretch is done.

This kit is an amazing start to my plan. The price is tough to beat and Zach is great to deal with. Anyone with questions feel free to fire away. I'll do my best to answer them. - Ken
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What type of tube?
Was this a custom order kit?
I see on their website the rear kit has the hoop which the two upper bars attach to but yours attaches directly to the stock cage.
Was the fitment good or did you have to cut to fit?
Cage looks good.
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is the front and rear stock add-on kit. Material is 1.75 x.120 DOM if I'm not mistaken.

The kit is all bent and notched but is trim to fit, as no Jeep cage is 100% the same as another. This cage takes some know-how as far as fabrication goes. If one isn't too comfortable trimming and grinding notches then it may not be the best choice. Overall though, it is a straight forward install with clear instructions for those whom may need them.
Unread 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good work, I am looking forward to ordering mine this summer or fall.
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks man, it's a great kit. When you buy the kit and go to install it let me know if you have any questions.

-Ken.
Unread 03-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Out of curiosity, why did you run your dash bar so high?

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
cj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No choice in the matter.....

Look at the dash around the gauge cluster, it's about 1.5" taller than the passenger side. I left a .5" gap above that so I could take the plastic off if I ever need to. I didn't want the tubing resting directly on the plastic trim.
Unread 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
No choice in the matter.....

Look at the dash around the gauge cluster, it's about 1.5" taller than the passenger side. I left a .5" gap above that so I could take the plastic off if I ever need to. I didn't want the tubing resting directly on the plastic trim.
Cool. I have a really similar cage design and was able to tuck mine down further without it resting on plastic. It provides a little more visibility, but you're right, it is a pain to remove the plastic trim.

Yours turned out really good. I came very close to going with the A to Z cage myself.

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
Unread 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The angle of the a-pillars must be a couple degrees different than the AtoZ cage. That's a nice looking cage as well, which one is it?
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
The angle of the a-pillars must be a couple degrees different than the AtoZ cage. That's a nice looking cage as well, which one is it?
Yeah I was just looking closer at your pictures and I think it is due to the difference in our a-pillar angles. Great job though man. It looks really good. Mine isn't a kit, but it is influenced by the AtoZ design

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
Unread 03-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

can I get a measurement when you get a chance....

the distance between the (your) factory cage at the rear where you put the spreader. (c-pillars) Basically the distance between the tubes right above your head when you open the tailgate.

At the inside of the tubes if you please.

I have a different brand kit along with another guy and we seem to have received pretty narrow rear spreaders. Just looking for a comparison within say 1/8 of an inch.

Unread 03-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
bigandrich44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you still use the factory sound bar with the rear cage pieces in place?
bigandrich44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #14
karlo

Cool. The setup looks tough.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Do you have any close ups of the tubing welds?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.