Just when you think your welding skills are ok, you get slapped down a few notches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Just when you think your welding skills are ok, you get slapped down a few notches

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just when you think your welding skills are ok, you get slapped down a few notches

Ha, I just ruined a new deep-style transmission pan (16 gauge) & the sender bung I was welding into the pan for the transmission temperature sender.

Now this wasn't the first time I had done this exact same task... I had welded the same type of bung into a similar pan 6-7 years ago on my previous TJ. No problem, the weld came out very presentable & there were no ATF leaks.

But today, I completely ruined the bung & at one point, blew a hole in the pan next to the bung. Ok, so the pan hole repair went fine (actually great) but it went downhill from there. Yep the gas was on & the power was appropriate. Not even the Miller's Autoset technology was able to overcome my bad mojo today lol.

The pan and bung are now taking up space in my trash barrel, it is a lost cause. I even tried to pass a 1/8" NPT tap through the bung to try to salvage it but no go.

At this point I feel like giving up welding lol. No I won't post pics of it, I just had to vent since my wife gave me a blank stare and a "humph" when I tried to get a little sympathy out of her.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its all good! we all have those days when we just cant get a decent weld down! just when you think your "perfect" PRACTICE some MORE!!!

luckily trans pans are fairly cheap, and bungs are as well... buy new and try again.
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I HATE it when that happens!

You fly off to a different airport to practice your landings. You do 10 in a row that are absolutely perfect, can't even tell when the wheels touch the ground. You head back to your home airport, feeling all smug and humming the theme song to Top Gun. Then you land, and really prang it on... bouncing from one wheel to the other, tires screeching, airplane bouncing into the air... you really suck. Then you taxi up to the hangar, and all your buddies are doubled over, laughing and pointing at you.

Somedays you're the windshield, somedays you're the bug...
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I can't even keep count of all the things I've ruined over the years.. with welding, cutting, pounding, torqueing, soldering, boring, turning, facing, milling, prying, and dropping.

...but, ehem.. Jerry.. we really do need to see a pic!!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

everyone has a bad day. some days, i come into work and cant seem to get a decent looking bead no matter what i do.

i have ruined my fair share of stuff over the year by either just dumb luck or my own stupidity in forgetting the simple things.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well my welding skills better not fail me two days in a row, I'm welding a shoulder harness support bar to my rollcage today. Wish me luck. I hope that I've done one of those before too won't jinx me.

And wgirvine, know whatcha mean on the landings. I'm a pp-asel myself & there is one little podunk airport (Oceanside) that always has a bunch of old codgers hanging around waiting for someone to make a bad landing. I had just gotten checked out in a C182 years ago & chopped the power a little too soon & bounced it in. Those old guys were snickering as I walked into the FBO to do something. None of my previous greasers in that C182 that they never saw mattered to those old farts.

And as for you BESRK, nah you ain't getting a pic... I'd never hear the end of it.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, I would pull that bad pan out of the trash and do a little practice on it before ya play on a new pan....just so you know your settings & speed is right.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

When I do a "bung" in sheetmetal, it's pretty much "tack tack tack" all the way around.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is it BESRK, I forgot that I should have just tack-welded it all the way around. I tack welded it at two points 180 degrees apart & stupidly tried to weld it as normal between them . I dunno, I guess I just didn't have my welding hat on yesterday. I now remember I tack welded it all the way around the first time I welded a bung into a pan and it came out fine.

Today's welding of the new shoulder harness support bar between the main pillers went fine which restored my confidence, I'll get back on that horse again as soon as I can get another pan & bung.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
That is it BESRK, I forgot that I should have just tack-welded it all the way around. I tack welded it at two points 180 degrees apart & stupidly tried to weld it as normal between them . I dunno, I guess I just didn't have my welding hat on yesterday. I now remember I tack welded it all the way around the first time I welded a bung into a pan and it came out fine.

Today's welding of the new shoulder harness support bar between the main pillers went fine which restored my confidence, I'll get back on that horse again as soon as I can get another pan & bung.
Was it the Poly performance one or did somebody bend & cope ya up a piece?
What ya gonna do for attaching the belts?
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It was the Poly Performance support bar, I had a good experience with the same product years ago so I just ordered another.

The 2" shoulder harnesses I ordered are the wrap style from http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...cingbelts.html, they'll be attached solely to the support bar itself. I decided against 3", I wore those in aircraft years ago & that width was just too uncomfortable for a strictly weekend warrior like myself.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did the wrap thing too at first but it was a pain to access the seat back stuff, so I borrowed some airplane passenger seat belt ends since they are the clip type and welded them to a harness end that accepts a bolt and them welded some bolts to the harness bar.
I also used the poly bar, it works very well.

Unread 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good idea, I might do that same thing with mine. The wrap-style shoulder harnesses I bought include the clips too so I'll be able to do that without having to buy anything else..

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #14
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I always feel that way when joining stuff to the XJ sheet metal. Just when you think you got all the glue crap off, bang, porosity, and out comes the grinder. Every day is a new day.
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Jerry why not just cut the bung out of the pan, repair the hole and start over? If the bung was out you could weld a patch in the pan, back it up with copper or aluminum so it won't blow through then grind it all flat and start over.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.