Just picked up steel for my first welding project...rear bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Just picked up steel for my first welding project...rear bumper

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Just picked up steel for my first welding project...rear bumper

I just ordered the steel last night for my rear bumper/tire carrier combo. I have never welded before, and am friggin excited as can be to start tonight on this thing. I ended up getting 54" of 2x4x3/16, 48" of 2x3 11ga and (2) 1.5" x 3/16 square tube 24", and one 1.5"x3/16 @25". getting a few scrap pieces for spacer for bumper mount, and a few scrap plates for bumper mount to frame. Any other things I am forgetting? I know that I will be back and forth to the scrap pile many times over the next few days, but all that for $60, I can't complain. Time to make the doughnuts!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Are you going to copy, the likeness of Besrks?If so you'll need some 3''x3''x3'' legs.
I always like to buy all steel a lil long..extras always good..for gussets and whatnot..measure twice cut once...a
get yourself a good pair of leather gloves with guantlets,a soap stone pen a good welders helmet and plenty of grinding disks...Practice welding on the scraps you've cut to get the feel for the thickness and types of welds..IE butt,corners..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Thanks scrambeled. I am heading off to pick it all up now....got a little side tracked this morning. I am looking to copy Besrks to an extent. No D-Rings and no hitch just yet. I dont have a plasma and to me, cutting holes with a jig saw and a grinder just doesn't seem all that fun yet. Especially being that I am super limited on noise time with my 2 year old that goes to bed at 7PM.

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
the dit
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dan, Where did you end up going for the metal?
the dit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.