Just Got Faded Hard Top-need Painting Assistance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Just Got Faded Hard Top-need Painting Assistance

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 07-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
pajeep15
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just Got Faded Hard Top-need Painting Assistance

Yeah- Just Bought A Steelhorse Hard Top- Of Course It Is Faded Pretty Bad- What Is Best Approach For Prep, Painting Methods, Paint, Etc??

pajeep15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
chuddly
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i assume its fiberglass? either way its doesnt really change the prep. sand with 180 grit paper to remove all the paint. Prime.....sand...prime...sand...blah blah blah until it looks perfect. then paint.
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Gelcoat might be a way to go, lots of prep work though.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If the only problem is fading, then try using some Penetrol on it first. It's a paint additive and fiberglass conditioner that is available at your local Lowes for like $10 a can.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...d=41592-71-410

Search the forums for Penetrol and you will find tons of posts about being using it on their hardtops and sometimes flares. I was debating painting my hardtop awhile back, but decided to try some Penetrol first. It came out really great and I never ended up painting it. Very easy application: Rub on with a clean cloth, wait 5 minutes or so, and wipe off any excess.
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
YjMick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes penetrol is the way to go! I just did mine after it sat outside under a tree all summer and it turne out great
YjMick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
4by4junkie
1981 CJ7 

I would go with Penetrol if its just fading. Otherwise, fiberglass filler any dings dents, prime and paint. Their is a write-up under articles - http://articles.jeepforum.com/How_to:_Paint_a_hard_top

Came out pretty good considering he used spray cans.
4by4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
tjorbust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rhino line it! Rhino everything!! I swear to god, in the spring I'm getting my whole interior rhino'd.. then the next time I have enough cash I'm gonna get the frame rhino'd! I may pull the wheels off and do the inside of my wheel wells too!
tjorbust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.