I guess it's not much of a build seeing as I never document stuff. But I thought I might share my work so far. This will be the 3rd bumper I have made for myself, but I "gave" the rest to friends.
It is similar to the BESRK bumper everyone seems to make, but so is everyone on the market. The big difference is this cost me very little to make. I pay $0.30/lbs. for mild steel end cuts, but I already had most of the materials on hand.
2"x5"-.250wall rectangular tubing makes up the base of the bumper. I used 2x4 tubing on the last two, but always thought the 2x5 looked better.
I used a 2000# trailer spindle I bought at TSC and the appropriate bearing kit. I did have to weld an extension on the bottom to make up the inch difference from the 5" tall bumper. I'll take better pic of it later when I have real lighting.
The mounts are made from 1/2" plate, and some odd 3"x3"-.310wall square tubing.
The swing-out A-frame is made from mostly 2"x2"-.188wall square tubing. The spindle bearing housing is 2.5"-.250wall DOM tubing. Gussets will be added soon as decide on the design. Shackle mounts are 1-1/4" bar-stock I cut to shape, and are designed for a 3/4" shackle pin. They are welded through and through like everyone should do.
Now my dilemma is the latch. I used the de-sta-co latch on the other two, and it is still working fine for the current owners. I personally just don't care for it, and think it is ugly as hell. What are some other reasonably price options out there that won't loosen up and rattle.
That is where I am at so far. Next up is the modular tire mounting system I and thinking up. I need it to handle multiple tire widths and still be tight and noise free.