Just another tire carrier build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Just another tire carrier build.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Saltine
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just another tire carrier build.

I guess it's not much of a build seeing as I never document stuff. But I thought I might share my work so far. This will be the 3rd bumper I have made for myself, but I "gave" the rest to friends.

It is similar to the BESRK bumper everyone seems to make, but so is everyone on the market. The big difference is this cost me very little to make. I pay $0.30/lbs. for mild steel end cuts, but I already had most of the materials on hand.

2"x5"-.250wall rectangular tubing makes up the base of the bumper. I used 2x4 tubing on the last two, but always thought the 2x5 looked better.

I used a 2000# trailer spindle I bought at TSC and the appropriate bearing kit. I did have to weld an extension on the bottom to make up the inch difference from the 5" tall bumper. I'll take better pic of it later when I have real lighting.

The mounts are made from 1/2" plate, and some odd 3"x3"-.310wall square tubing.

The swing-out A-frame is made from mostly 2"x2"-.188wall square tubing. The spindle bearing housing is 2.5"-.250wall DOM tubing. Gussets will be added soon as decide on the design. Shackle mounts are 1-1/4" bar-stock I cut to shape, and are designed for a 3/4" shackle pin. They are welded through and through like everyone should do.

Now my dilemma is the latch. I used the de-sta-co latch on the other two, and it is still working fine for the current owners. I personally just don't care for it, and think it is ugly as hell. What are some other reasonably price options out there that won't loosen up and rattle.

That is where I am at so far. Next up is the modular tire mounting system I and thinking up. I need it to handle multiple tire widths and still be tight and noise free.

Rocky Mountain Edition Club, Member #6
Saltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I have personally witnessed one of the "T" handle screw on type latches come loose. The tailgate swung open when a fellow Jeeper was crawling up a steep incline. If someone were behind him, I have absolutely zero doubt they would have been seriously injured.

With that said, I personally would not veer away from the De Sta Co latches simply due to their "toggle safety" (or whatever they are calling it) feature. Absolutely 100% prevents an accidental opening, which is very important.

But if you are insistent on not using the De Sta Co, Zach (AtoZ fab) has a nice little T-handle set up that he sells.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Is that gap even all the way across under the tire mount looks like its running uphill from the spindle?
mknight759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Saltine
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight759 View Post
Is that gap even all the way across under the tire mount looks like its running uphill from the spindle?
It is mostly because I have a piece of pipe where the bearings and races would be right now for mock up. It will have a degree or two of rake to offset the clamping of the latch. Just something I have learn from the past 2. The weight of a 36" TSL and the torque from the latch can add up over a couple years.
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good.....and heavy duty
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice work!!

In addition to the De Sta Co style latches that are out, there are the "T" style screw in latches and slam latches (clamshell latch similar to a car door latch). Might browse around thru someplace like McMaster Carr... in their latch section. Also Google "Latches" or derivitives.. there are dozens and dozens of styles/sizes out there. Seeing something fresh would be kind of neat.

It's kind of funny that here in this Forum that style of bumper is referred to as a "BESRK" bumper.. when in fact, it has probably been around for decades.. at least 20-30 years.

All I've ever done is copy the good parts I've seen, put my "twist" on areas that I thought could use some work, and then cranked out a few hundred of them over the years.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I always thought that when I make a bumper and swing out that I would use a bear claw latch, just like car doors use. Ive fab'd up a few sets of suicide doors, mostly on old beetle's and those latches are safe, secure and cheap to buy brand new. Keeping it clean and mud free might be a challenge though. I like the idea of just closing the tire carrier and having it latch by itself. These also "double latch", meaning if for some reason it doesnt fully close, its still latched securely.

Im no genious, so Im sure people have tried these and found some issues or they would be the standard if they were as good as I think they would be.
medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Saltine
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic-11 View Post
I like the idea of just closing the tire carrier and having it latch by itself. These also "double latch", meaning if for some reason it doesnt fully close, its still latched securely.
This is pretty much dead on my plan.
Unread 02-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
wildman90
1993 YJ Wrangler 

what did you use to house the bearings on the pivot?

ok i just read the entire post and see the 2.5" DOM. do the bearings fit right or are there more mods?

the only thing you cannot do, is that which you have already accepted defeat!

many people search for god in the eleventh hour, only to die at 10:30

Last edited by wildman90; 02-12-2011 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: cant read or spell
wildman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Build...

If you wanted to be really different on your latch and be solid and reliable..you could fab you'r own design,thats what i did and it has held up for 3 years,and as a matter of fact the original 1" trailer spindle i used snapped off my A-Arm assembly one night and was still there when i got home about 15 miles on back roads before I realized it happened,the latch held it all there.

Its just used a bigger sized pipe to cut in 1/2 and make a hinge on one side,then welded a nut on the bottom side back half and a thick washer on the front side of the bottom 1/2 for the bolt.
I put a few peices of rubber weather stripping inside it to make it snug and no rattles,it holds it in place VERY tight.

You could easily fab up a rectangular setup for yours where just the front part hinged up or down,i've already thought of building a latch setup like that on a rectangular tube bumper i will be building for my buddy's wife's TJ since mine has held up so well and no rattles
bumper24.jpg   bumper20.jpg   bumper22.jpg   bumper16.jpg   bumper15.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Saltine
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman90 View Post
do the bearings fit right or are there more mods?
I just cut 2" OD to space the bearing races the correct distance apart. Everything fits perfect.

I'm trying to find something along the lines of this to modify for the latch.
Unread 02-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

$39.00 shipped buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Small...item3f0328e01e

medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This summer I plan to build bumpers and a tire carrier also and the latch I plan on using is one of these; http://www.awdirect.com/twist-lock-p...250a/hardware/ Check it out and let me know what you think of this. Thanks, Dave
scramblered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I went with a simple hitch pin setup with bronze bushings.

5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Is that white block just nylon? What about that vertical stopper? Is it just metal?
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build , bumper , tire carrier

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.