JK Bumper Design/Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > JK Bumper Design/Build

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
hawkerxj
2013 JK Wrangler 

JK Bumper Design/Build

I'm designing then fabbing a winch bumper for the front on my JK and am looking for some opinions on a few things.

The first is material, originally I was thinking of making it out of 1/4" mild steel(44w/a36) but it would be heavier than I wanted so I'm considering some higher strength materials. I was thinking 1/8" thick something in the range of 100ksi yield strength(Domex or weldox 100, or QT100). Has anyone worked with these materials. Any issues with welding them?

Second, consideration is the crash bar, to remove or not. My jeep is about 4 months old, full warrenty, but I never plan on taking it to the dealer unless there is a major issue. Would removing this void warrenty on bearings transmission engine ect? Mine is a Sport edition so I don't have the E-disco.

The third consideration is bolting it up. I like the look of bumpers with hidden fasteners but it would be a bit more complicated and would push the front end out a few more inches. The other option would be to make bolt on d-ring mounts for the end of the frame rail and sandwich the bumper in between. What looks better?

I started drawing this in Autodesk inventor, but since this my first post here, I can't post screen shots of what i have so far. Also I plan on mounting a winch down in between the frame rails.

Hawker

hawkerxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

What most everyone does is 1/4" for the winch plate and 3/16" for the 'skin', using plain ol A36 mild steel. A JK bumper wouldn't really be that big unless you're going crazy so I wouldn't be too concerned with weight.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You could put 1x gusset underneath the winch plate to stiffen it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.