Jerry can mod/Screw the EPA - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Jerry can mod/Screw the EPA

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

And I just HATE those farkin' "post-ban" fuel cans. They don't pour worth a damn, they don't seal worth a damn, the ersatz spouts don't seal to the can worth a damn, and are a pain to remove.

I just had to deal with some on a recent trip to Washington State (I should have taken my own cans - I have four "pre-ban" cans.)

With that in mind, I had my "pre-ban" metal spout get wrecked recently, and the only replacement I could find was the larger Diesel tube. Apparently, here in CA, we can forget about finding decent replacement gasoline spouts.

Can anyone out-of-state still get these? Any chance I could talk someone into getting me a couple, and letting me PP them for the spouts and P&P to my place? That damned Diesel spout doesn't fit in the filler port in my lawnmower, and I'd rather whack myself in the genitals than get some half-arsed fuel can that can store fuel, but can't dispense it worth a damn.

Most galling is the fact that, in the last thirty years, you can probably contain all of the fuel I've managed to spill, of all varieties (gasoline, Diesel, White Gas, kero, whatever...) in the bottom half of a coffee cup. But, I'm stuck with these asinine cans & spouts because these jackwagons can't pour fuel properly!

While we're on that subject, could someone tell me precisely why the state of Oregon won't let me pump my own fuel? The only answer I could get while I was up there was "It's state law," but no-one could tell me why. If I have to drive through that state again, I want a decent spout and I'm going to take all four fuel cans so I can fill up to make it the rest of the way. I don't trust someone that doesn't trust me, and the pump jocky cranked my fuel filler cap down (after I specifically told him to click it once and only once!) so that the damn handle came off about two fill-ups after I'd gotten back to California.

Dammit, these regs are getting out of hand - and we're getting more and more of them because more and more people are being allowed to graduate primary education while still incompetent and uneducated, and college isn't helping!

(It's amazing what you can learn in a proper high school shop class...)

Unread 11-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
300grand
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
I also found that my homemade gasket swells in contact with gasoline. It still seems to seal okay, and since I'm using the can to store emergency fuel at my cabin rather than for transportation, it is okay for now, but I'll need to find a real fuel resistant gasket.
What you need is a neoprene rubber seal, regular rubber is incompatible with gas.
300grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300grand View Post
What you need is a neoprene rubber seal, regular rubber is incompatible with gas.
I got a small scrap of nitrile at the rubber supplier the other day, which I am going to put in a jar with some gasoline to test. The fuel can in question is out at my cabin and I doubt if I will get out there again before spring, unfortunately. I had hoped to find a piece of viton to use, but the nitrile should work also.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
CJ8Ted
1985 CJ8 

Quote:
Yes, that is the point. But, it needs to have a flat gasket of sufficient diameter to cover the hole; the o-ring that now comes with it won't do it.
Thanks,
I thought so, just could not tell for sure.

Ted
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
With that in mind, I had my "pre-ban" metal spout get wrecked recently, and the only replacement I could find was the larger Diesel tube. Apparently, here in CA, we can forget about finding decent replacement gasoline spouts.

Can anyone out-of-state still get these? Any chance I could talk someone into getting me a couple, and letting me PP them for the spouts and P&P to my place?
The local hardware store still has the old style Blitz spouts, so if nobody closer than Alaska can get you one, I'd be willing to do so. I suspect that once they run out, that will be the last of them at that store since they are carrying a different brand of can now.

I also found one on Ebay, if it is what you are looking for it is probably cheaper than the ones here in Anchorage:

Jerry Can Spout Fits Military 5 Gal Jerry Cans M35A2 A3 - eBay (item 250729231064 end time Nov-25-10 18:53:33 PST)

Quote:
While we're on that subject, could someone tell me precisely why the state of Oregon won't let me pump my own fuel? The only answer I could get while I was up there was "It's state law," but no-one could tell me why.
I've heard that about Oregon. I think it is literally to provide employment for the people who you have to pay to pump your gas.
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #21
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting fab. Wouldn't it be just as easy (easier?) to install a vent valve (ie. petcack) in the upper part of the fuel can. I realise it no longer would "look" legal (like anyone really cared) but it would save you from trying to braze a fuel can already in use.

Unread 11-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #22
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While we're on that subject, could someone tell me precisely why the state of Oregon won't let me pump my own fuel? The only answer I could get while I was up there was "It's state law," but no-one could tell me why.
Lived there for almost 5 years and hated having some dude fill my tank. Found this on the interweb.

New Jersey and Oregon are the only U.S. states that currently ban self-service gas stations.

The purpose of these laws was to protect consumers and gas station owners from costly, and possibly deadly, accidents. Better education and improved technology, however, have made pumping gas much safer and easier for consumers over the last 50 years. Since the 1970s, self-service gas stations have grown in popularity.

The New Jersey law was enacted in 1949 and the Oregon law in 1951. Each statute has stood up to several challenges in those two states.

Disabled motorists are most interested in seeing such laws survive. For those motorists with a disability, pumping gas is not an option and they depend on the employees of full-service stations.

Despite requirements outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act, many self-service stations do not provide a full-service option for disabled drivers, nor provide those services at self-service rates.
TexasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasYJ View Post
Lived there for almost 5 years and hated having some dude fill my tank. Found this on the interweb.

New Jersey and Oregon are the only U.S. states that currently ban self-service gas stations.

The purpose of these laws was to protect consumers and gas station owners from costly, and possibly deadly, accidents. Better education and improved technology, however, have made pumping gas much safer and easier for consumers over the last 50 years. Since the 1970s, self-service gas stations have grown in popularity.

The New Jersey law was enacted in 1949 and the Oregon law in 1951. Each statute has stood up to several challenges in those two states.

Disabled motorists are most interested in seeing such laws survive. For those motorists with a disability, pumping gas is not an option and they depend on the employees of full-service stations.

Despite requirements outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act, many self-service stations do not provide a full-service option for disabled drivers, nor provide those services at self-service rates.
Fine - so make "full service" available under ADA, and stop cranking those of us who actually know what we're doing around. I just can't bring myself to trust someone that doesn't trust me, y'know? (Ed. - I know, it's supposed to be already. But, as mentioned, it's not always - and ADA fines are pure Hell if you get socked with them... I used to do ADA/OSHA/CalOSHA "pre-inspections" when I was running maintenance crews, and probably saved the companies I worked for a few million bucks. And they wonder why I thought I was underpaid...)

@Netpackrat - I'll see what that spout goes up to over the next three days, but apparently they've only got the one (unless I pillage around some more.) What are they going for up there in Anchorage? I may just have to stock up on the things...
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I "pump my own gas " often in Oregon-living just across the Columbia River in WA. So I believe you CAN pump in OR but, in NJ only the "gas jockey employee" can actually do it was how the law I remembered was written. Topping off is illegal in OR though. don;t know about NJ, last time there every gas jockey spoke no english at all!
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #25
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
I "pump my own gas " often in Oregon-living just across the Columbia River in WA. So I believe you CAN pump in OR but, in NJ only the "gas jockey employee" can actually do it was how the law I remembered was written. Topping off is illegal in OR though. don;t know about NJ, last time there every gas jockey spoke no english at all!
When I first moved to orgeon from Texas I got yelled at for pumping my own gas! Its not like they have a freakin' sign on the pump. No where I went, including eastern oregon, would allow me to pump my own gas. Maybe things have changed.
TexasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #26
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Despite requirements outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act, many self-service stations do not provide a full-service option for disabled drivers, nor provide those services at self-service rates.[/B]
They have the option of buying their fuel elsewhere.
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #27
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ51 View Post
Interesting fab. Wouldn't it be just as easy (easier?) to install a vent valve (ie. petcack) in the upper part of the fuel can. I realise it no longer would "look" legal (like anyone really cared) but it would save you from trying to braze a fuel can already in use.
I'm not sure how installing a pet**** for a vent will prevent you from having to braze anything, since you are still going to need some mounting point for it that is stronger than the can's sheet metal. Besides, it might solve the venting problem, but it could also get snagged on something and damaged, or opened during storage or transport, which could cause fuel or fumes to escape. That could be bad. Also, I specifically recommended against making this mod to a can that is already in use.
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #28
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
@Netpackrat - I'll see what that spout goes up to over the next three days, but apparently they've only got the one (unless I pillage around some more.) What are they going for up there in Anchorage? I may just have to stock up on the things...
I don't remember, it will be at least a couple days before I can get to the hardware store. A quick google search on "jerry can nozzle" provided several links to them at surplus places and the like. There is this place, that says it is illegal to sell or use in California. Not sure if that means they won't ship it to you or if you have to find a middleman, but there are other places.

Jerry Can Fuel Nozzle Screw On - Unleaded

And another:

http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/vmc...jerry-can.html
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:19 AM   #29
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't remember, it will be at least a couple days before I can get to the hardware store. A quick google search on "jerry can nozzle" provided several links to them at surplus places and the like. There is this place, that says it is illegal to sell or use in California. Not sure if that means they won't ship it to you or if you have to find a middleman, but there are other places.

Jerry Can Fuel Nozzle Screw On - Unleaded

And another:

http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/vmc...jerry-can.html
Given the asinine regulations we're saddled with here in CA, I end up trying to find a middleman for things like this.

Were I about to go on a cross-country driving trip again, I'd look myself (kinda like how I'll stop off in Missouri, or take a side trip into Kentucky, to stock up the ordnance locker when I go see family in Indiana. After all, "California Customs" only cares about fresh fruit when I'm driving back into the state...)

When you get a chance, please let me know. I'm sure the price will be better than I'm seeing on eBay, and I've no trouble covering your nut for the whole thing plus shipping, if and when.

It's kinda like how mail-order smokes are now subject to being reported to California, and subject to California smokes tax (even when they're not sold in California.) Ergo, I have them shipped to mum or sis, and then relayed to me from there. Fsck California - they get enough of my money as it is!

(And it's even more of a pain in the arse now, since some jackwagon talked the Postal People into thinking that smokes and smokeless tobacco are now considered "hazardous material" and either subject to surcharges or just plain contraband - I'm not sure which, I haven't checked.)
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When you get a chance, please let me know. I'm sure the price will be better than I'm seeing on eBay, and I've no trouble covering your nut for the whole thing plus shipping, if and when.
I made it to Alaska Industrial Hardware today. They evidently have raised the price considerably to almost double what I paid for mine. They are now asking $21.95 each for the Blitz nozzles. I think if you can get one from another source, you should probably do that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.