Jeep Tj New front bumper/crossmember??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Jeep Tj New front bumper/crossmember???

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Tj New front bumper/crossmember???

Im wanting to build a bumper/crossmember for the front of my 06 jeep tj its at the dealer with an opda failure thats why i have drawn picture of what i have an idea of.

So, im thinking of cutting the stock front crossmember off, grinding it down and adding either a 4x4 or 4x3 of 3/16 square stock it will replace the stock crossmember and also double as a bumper. Also i will cap the frame ends off in the front so it looks nice and clean.

tell me what you think

adfsdfasdf.jpg  
anderson5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

anyone?
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't look like your antirock will have any protection. I vote leave the crossmember alone and make a bumper, IMO.
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting idea. I'v been entertaining the idea to do something similar but am trying to think of a way to work around my Anti-rock. Are you planning to leave the ends of the tube crossmember in the frame and just basically replace the section in the middle with a rectangular tube?

Also I'm 3hrs away from my Jeep or else I'd take a look but IIRC the crossmember up front is the only structural part forward of the engine I think? you'll need to brace the frame or weld something in temporarily before cutting out the tube or the frame rails might shift. I could be wrong, like I said, I don't remember for sure how far back the next structural piece is on the frame.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thats exactly what i was thinking i will just remove the crossmember between the frame and leave the ends so the anti rock will be the same and i will weld a support like you said so it doesnt move at all and then just replace the center and have it flush with the frame.
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you are upto the task I say go for it. It would be something different. Like anything that is custom you might run into some problems but with a little ingenuity I think it can be done. I might eventually do something similar on mine.

You'll also need to adress the body mount that is part of that crossmember. I think you could pretty easily re-use the mount that's there just repositioned on the 4x3 or whatever you plan to use.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.