JB Weld vs Trans Cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > JB Weld vs Trans Cooler

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

JB Weld vs Trans Cooler

Hey guys. I've got a beat up trans cooler I was trying to make a dual cooler. I used a map gas torch and pulled the soldered ends off of it. My question was, would JB weld withstand transmission fluid? Basically what I did was removed the 180 degree ends out of the cooler, and used JB weld to put in some brass barbs. So I can run both transmission fluid and power steering in this single cooler. I cleaned the cooler of all oil, and sanded down rough all the aluminum and brass fittings. Was 100% clean and dry when I used it. I know both return lines don't see much hear or pressure, (JB weld claims tensile strength of 3969 psi, and 550 degrees heat resistance) I know trans fluid or steering will ever get near those specs. See the picture I attached. Let me know your thought? I've already attached the cooler to my house water hose, confirmed my fittings do Not leak under pressure. (I blew the hose off my connections after a few minutes with the end capped off. Where the hose met my cooler line, not off my fittings)

svshaw82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I hate my iPhone when it comes to attaching pictures! They are always too big for posting! Grr!
image-4079237337.jpg

Unread 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
jason m
your ad here...

I wouldn't trust it. I have two stacked hydro coolers, I just run a low pressure line between the two and used the original fitting ends.
So to me either get the right cooler or have new ends welded on, I myself would not trust the life of my trans on jb weld.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Only time I would use JB weld like that would be to get off a trail. I have had JB weld fail on me even when mixed correctly under very light stress
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Even if both metals were 100% cleaned and adhered tightly? My fittings are cured now and I did a second coat over the first coat of JB Weld and I can bend the aluminum before anything else moves.
Unread 09-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would've just soldered them in place instead.

I guess the only way to tell, is to run it and see what happens.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I tried to solder them in place it wasn't holding the solder would only stick to the brass
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svshaw82 View Post
I tried to solder them in place it wasn't holding the solder would only stick to the brass
Gotta make sure its very clean and your using a good flux and the correct solder. Your local radiator shops should be able to do it for cheap.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The quotes I'm getting from my local radiator shops have been telling me, the cooler had to be "heli arc'd" and the price is between $45 and $65 dollars.

I think I might run the JB weld and see what happens. At those prices I could just buy a dual cooler. Lol!
Unread 10-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Lol another shop said you can't solder brass to aluminum.
Unread 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Also just got a response from JB Weld themselves. <P>

"Mr. Shaw,

The JB Weld is impervious to the transmission fluid meaning it will not dissolve over time based on the fluid. Thanks for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
JB Weld"
Unread 11-13-2014, 12:00 AM   #12
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I plugged a 1/2'' hole that went through a Mazda RX7 oil cooler with JB weld and duct tape to hold it in one side. After cleaning it with 2-Butoxyethanol. A water based Heavy Duty commercial grade concentrated cleaner degreaser. One you can buy at any restaurant supply and great cleaner for all grease, parts, tools, what ever @ 50- 50 or less. A gallon that makes two or more gallons and is under five dollars.

The part was almost a grand locally at the time. I then boiled it out over a camp fire. It held for the life of the car, that car was running with that patch about ten years.

I plugged two dirt bike radiators the same way. They worked for some time but were shelved for new replacements during the same season. No leaks.

I would solder those ends or build up one heck of a dam to reinforce that part with JB weld. It does not look all that promising.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ok. The shops I called to price the soldering quoted me between $45 and $65. I could just buy a cooler for that much.

I totally cleaned the ends and roughed all surfaces with a wire brush and sandpaper. Did two layers of jb weld.

They told me it would be impervious to the transmission fluid and be able to withstand the pressure from the line.

I don't know now I might just scrap the project. I was just hoping I'd be able to find a new use for it.
Unread 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Try it and see what happens.. ?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

You will have to keep down the vibrations. You can build a dam with tape and fill it with JB weld to support the patch. Just gluing with it JB will not work.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.