Instructions and pics on fitting a TJ hood and grill on a YJ, electric fan, etc - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Instructions and pics on fitting a TJ hood and grill on a YJ, electric fan, etc

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #1
geberhard

Instructions and pics on fitting a TJ hood and grill on a YJ, electric fan, etc

Main reason I was doing this is since I was doing a paintjob on the Jeep I decided to change things up a bit and also gain some hood height for my upcoming engine replacement and lift, plus decent space for an electric fan. The two options I looked at was a DJ grill, or tube out the fronta bit and do some KJ grill kinda crap, but the TJ front seemed like a good option. So instead of bugging the crap out of the YJ, this is the approach I took

Here is a "before" pic:

here is a in progress picture:

Here is an after picture:

Here are some instructions.

Parts:

-TJ hood and grill
-TJ hood hinges
-TJ hood tie-downs (plastic)
-TJ headlights, bezels, etc (J&W Thanks Neil and Imkfused for the tip
-TJ grill to cowl rods (the YJ's are too short)
-Misc bolts and washers

1- Remove the YJ hood
2- To remove the grill, you will need to disconnect the headlights, AC radiator if you have one, and disconnect the radiator
3- Install and mock up the grill, making sure that it aligns close with the YJ fenders. It takes a bit of pressure to bring the TJ grill to position
4- For a good fit, you will need to redrill holes to the TJ grill, so it aligns well.
5- Mount the radiator in the stock positions. You may need to do some light realignment.
6- Optional: I installed a junkyard electric fan on the TJ grill, so I can keep the stock mechanic fan, and on the trail also enable the electric fan as needed. The TJ grill seems slightly taller than the YJ, plus if you find a small enough fan, you can install it right inside the grill.
7- Mock the TJ hood in place.
8- In order to use the TJ hinges, you will need to drill the YJ cowl since the TJ hood hinge position is offset. (see pics). You will also need to bend the stock TJ hinges so the angle in their back is reduced and they will sit flush in the cowl. I used a BFH (Big F...ing hammer), and a couple of good hits and it was flat and in perfect shape).

9-Now it is the time to do the actuall install, make sure to measure twice and do it once Use masking tape as reference markings. If you have body lifts, etc the TJ grill is taller, so you will need to compensate the difference in height somehow (i.e cut a bit of the BL off, etc.
10- Pay attention to your engine fan, make sure it turns freely and is not touching the fan shroud. Mine was slightly off and I had to do some minor adjusting (read cutting)
11- I am hoping to finish the install in a few days, so I will keep ya posted on any additional findisngs, but it is basically done, aside from a few more screws here and there, and some adjusting. Putting the TJ hood locks on will be the last step.

Findings:
-the TJ hood will obviously not fit perfectly 100% (slightly wider in the back since the TJ cowl is some milimiter wider). You can either leave as is, or re-arch the back of the hood with some minor tough love)
-all of the stock YJ electrical fittings will work for the TJ. You will need to make a decision here as far as turn markers. Since my Jeep is flatfendered, I will need to install some front turn markers. I am not sure yet what direction I am going on that, most likely use some CJ style markers on the TJ grill.

In progress pics 2:

and almost done:

I will post pics as soon as it is finished up.

Good luck!

Gui

Last edited by geberhard; 06-23-2004 at 11:43 AM..
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
geberhard

final product pics:

and

Unread 06-22-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
megadeth

All I get is this

You don't have permission to access /forum/attachment.php on this server.
megadeth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
geberhard

Ok, will upload pics here.

For now, feel free to use these links:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248791

and

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249432
Unread 06-22-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

any idea if just adding the grill would work keeping the YJ hood?

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2004, 05:55 PM   #6
geberhard

It will not work I have a pic of the trial mock up, and will post it Tehy are very dif and will not align. By teh way, remove the whole plastic stuff from the renegade like I did in mine! That was so eighties Just kidding.

I will post the pic soon of the hood only, but will give you a vice versa idea of how the grill would not allign.

Gui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacaur
any idea if just adding the grill would work keeping the YJ hood?
Unread 06-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

hehe I am still trying to decide if I like the renegade look, on one hand it looks different from all the other jeeps you see, but on the other hand it looks like crap.... so hard to decide....

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #8
geberhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacaur
hehe I am still trying to decide if I like the renegade look, on one hand it looks different from all the other jeeps you see, but on the other hand it looks like crap.... so hard to decide....
Dacaur,

Here is a pic of my Jeep when I removed the Renegade plastic crap, no more rubbing on rocks, and ugly stuff sticking out. remove and install TJ flares.

I added a TJ front clip to it (bling bling), and painted the "YTJ" olive drab at home, and now looks like this:

Unread 06-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
hmk_21

hey.. regarding the olive drab color..

did you simply mask, sand.. (prep surface) them fly at her with olive drab based spray cans?

-tia
Unread 06-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
geberhard

Hi,

Yep, pretty close to that. I recommend not stripping the paint, or sanding it down to the metal, since it will remove your base coat. That will lead to internal rust (between metal and paint), bubbles, etc.

The Olive Drab paint I used is the one used for Jeep restorations (AERVOE), which has some sort of base and cover coats, and is one of the best for this kind of work. They sell either rattle cans or gallons. The rattle cans did a really good job though

Gui

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmk_21
hey.. regarding the olive drab color..

did you simply mask, sand.. (prep surface) them fly at her with olive drab based spray cans?

-tia
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i want to try this soon.
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks cool, but mainly....

Look at that mustache!

EDIT: Just noticed that ^^^^^that guy bumped a 8 year old thread. Also you have too many fingers.

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
ziloh22

1995 YJ Wrangler 

8 years old. Gotta love google!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.