Insight to this welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Insight to this welder

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Insight to this welder

Is anyone familiar with this welder? It's still brand new. My dad had bought it either from Northern Hyd. or Harbor Fr. back in the 90's, and never used it. I'm curious as to the quality of this unit, as I've never stick welded in my life. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looks like a good machine, AC/DC with DC reverse... you can weld just about anything. ive never seen lead connections like that though... looks like a plug for a guitar amp
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Yes similar but just a blunt copper tip that pushes in I believe. I've seen them but never attached them.
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if you have the leads and a 220V socket, you should try hooking it up and see what it can do... i mean whats the worst that can happen? do you have any experience with welding?
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Abaddon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

the lead connections look like the ones on my old craftsman welder
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
duckbone

Thing looks just like my first welder which was a Century who is made by Lincoln.
duckbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is nick-named a buzz box. It basically is a transformer. It will work very well for you but the skill needed is a lot higher than with mig. The only way to get good is with practice,practice, and tons more practice. Start with 100 amps and a 3/32 6013 welding rod. Get some scrap metal, grind it shiny clean and give it a shot. Wear safety glasses under your helmet because the slag needs to be chipped off the weld to inspect its quaility. Having someone give a lesson or two is a great help. Use it on the DC connections with the stinger positive,electrode and have fun.
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Bigbob

Ain't much you can't do with that except thin sheet metal. Looks great. Sears sold those for years. Very reliable. I'm not sure who built them, but don't think it was Lincoln. I've used Lincolns for over 40 years and ain't seen one like that.

You want to use 7018 rod in 3/32" and master that. If you go to the big box store like Home Depot they sell 7018 AC, but you want the straight 7018. The 6011 and 6013 is okay for dirty metal, but does not lay down a real great bead like 7018. Keep it dry and buy in small amounts.

And I wager welding 3/32" 7018 your duty cycle is going to be really good. You can probably weld continuously all day long.

You can weld some heavy iron with that sucker. Once you go below 16 ga you will have some issues.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

It's possible he did buy it at Sear's. I swear the man had stock in Sear's/Craftsman! It's good to hear you guy's assessment of it and I appreciate the rod advice. I don't know squat about stick welding but I figured all the rods he had laying around were probably no good anymore (they aren't in sealed containers). I won't be welding with it, at least not just yet, but I might have a guy come over and do some welding for me, so he could use it.
I have an Easy MIG welder he got from either HF or Northern Tool, that works good for sheet metal. There's only 2 settings, high or low, which I believe are 65 & 45 amps.
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Bigbob

Many will say stick welding is hard. I learned on stick back around the time we put a man on the moon and I find it easy. I do weld mig now and it is also a great way to go.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.