Input on rear tire carrier bumper - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Input on rear tire carrier bumper

hey i just finished the final drawing of my rear tire carrier and i wanted some input on the design.

the base is using 3"x4" steel tubing and i will most likely be using 3/16" wall tubing.

the swingout arm is 1.5"x2" tubing and the supports are 1.5"x1.5" tubing.

however i dont have the jeep up here with me, so once i get to my jeep ill get all the final measurements and tweak the design a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I think it looks great, as long as you tie it into the frame well you should have nothing to worry about.

What are you planning on using for a hinge?

Just
Everybody
Elses
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i plan to tie it into the frame at some point. i wont have to worry about towing with it since i already have a hitch on the jeep now.

as far as a hinge, i havent gotten that far into the planning stages haha. just making some drawings right now. i dont have access to any fab shop right now as i am at school and also with out my jeep (why is jeep-less censored haha) once i get home for thanksgiving and christmas ill be farther along in planning..hopefully ill start fabbing over christmas break. my dad owns a machine shop with some high end welders CNC machines and has knows some people with laser cutting and bending tools.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 AM
DoGood
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I could be wrong here, but you need to look at the depth you need for the hinge. Without dimensions on your plans it's impossible to tell but I'd imagine you don't have enough depth in the bumper to hold a proper hinge.

Other than that I like the design.

^I wouldn't listen to what I say. I don't know what I'm talking about. Please use the search feature.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i was worried about the size of hinge i would have to use. what size diameter would be best to use for up to a 35" tire and wheel. right now it is a 1 1/2 inch hinge (or spindle).
post #6 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM
DoGood
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Carrier Swingout Heavy Duty Hinge Kit :: Tire Carrier Components :: DIY Fabrication Builder Parts :: AtoZ Fabrication

maybe you could call them and see if you can get additional specifications on this. Or maybe they have enough information listed. My concern would also be the length, stated as "longer to fit 5" tall bumper. I guess you could cut it down but I'm not sure.

^I wouldn't listen to what I say. I don't know what I'm talking about. Please use the search feature.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

oh i dont have a problem tweaking the size of the bumper. the plans i have drawn are just an idea of what i would like to have and hopefully build. ill do some research into hinges. the one you listed is a bit overkill for what i need. currently i only have the stock 30 inch spare tire on the rear right now. but it will be a 33" once i get new tires (next year or so) so im just looking for something that would hold a 35" tire fine but not something so heavy duty it will support a 39 or 40 inch tire.

and as far as tie-ins, there is so much scrap steel around my fathers shop that tie-ins wont be an issue.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester405 View Post
. ill do some research into hinges. the one you listed is a bit overkill for what i need.
Actually, that is one of the most recommended hinges on the market right now. It is not weak and is not overkill. Any smaller and you will be wearing out parts real fast and for the price, it is the way to go, in my opinion.

BESRK builds his own bumpers to sell and learned from his mistakes, even for 35's, his first hinges were having issues. He beefed them up and now has no problems as far as I know.

If you want to do this bumper right the first time, that hinge is perfect.

Again, this is my opinion. I do think your bumper design looks great and I would love to see the results. I just think your "overkill" statement is a bit nearsighted if you know what I mean. I have been fabricating on the side for a few years now and have also found out that what I thought was "overkill" was actually perfect for the application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
post #9 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I see what you mean. As much as I would love to make this bumper bomb-proof, at this point I'm looking for the most cost effective means to make it. It seems that to drop 50 dollars on a hinge is a bit much...but I will definitely keep it in mind.

Do you know if it would be possible to cut down the spindle to fit in a smaller space?
post #10 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 PM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
I see what you mean. As much as I would love to make this bumper bomb-proof, at this point I'm looking for the most cost effective means to make it. It seems that to drop 50 dollars on a hinge is a bit much...but I will definitely keep it in mind.

Ok, I can agree with that. Now think about this. For me to make my own spindle, it was gonna be $28 for the trailer spindle, $10 for the milling of the cap and another $10 in my own supplies. That's $48 right there and that was for a spindle that would be half the strength of this one.

Disclaimer, I do not work for A to Z fabrication, I just know quality when I see it.

How deep is that indent you are trying to fit it in??? the shaft for the spindle is not as wide as the cap. You "could" prolly fit it into a 1.5" indent if you had the shaft sit right against the inside edge of the tubing.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

post #11 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! I like that "inset" swingarm setup.

I'd probably sort out the spindle/spindle tube first. Get those in hand and then start doing the measurements for the inset part. Same with the latch.

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #12 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here are the dimensions for the indented area

However these dimensions are not set in stone. I can change them where needed.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Nice! I like that "inset" swingarm setup.

I'd probably sort out the spindle/spindle tube first. Get those in hand and then start doing the measurements for the inset part. Same with the latch.
Thanks!
I would get them in hand but being a freshman in college, money is tight. Unfortunately I do not have the Jeep with me and no any access to a fab shop. My only mode of transportation at the moment is my mountain bike.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well after reading the information about the AtoZ hinge, I noticed that the overall diameter of the cap was 2.25 inches. So I toyed around with some ideas for a few minutes and came up with this....

I decided on this because I do not want to compromise the structural strength of the back of the bumper so Im trying to keep it as thick as I can.

The only issues I see so far with this is that this might be tough to make and that the swing out arm will not be utilizing the entire diameter of the hinge.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
I decided on this because I do not want to compromise the structural strength of the back of the bumper so Im trying to keep it as thick as I can.

The only issues I see so far with this is that this might be tough to make and that the swing out arm will not be utilizing the entire diameter of the hinge.
Move the hinge out a bit and center the swing out on the spindle. Let the spindle hang out a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.